PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice re: upgrading to a new BlackBerry.

GadgetGuru72
03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone-

I currently own an 8100 Pearl with AT&T, running on OS 4.5.

I'm looking to upgrade to a new BlackBerry with a full QWERTY board.

I can stick with AT&T and get the Bold, but I'm willing to switch carriers. I'm also willing to wait if there's a great new BlackBerry coming out soon.

Does anybody know if there's a site that has side-by-side comparisons of existing and/or upcoming BlackBerry devices?

If not, can anybody offer any advice?

Although all advice is welcome, responses such as "get a Bold" don't really help that much. Instead, if you think I should get a Bold, please tell me why.

I like the design of the Bold, and I also like the added memory. As I understand it, although the Bold has 1GB onboard memory, programs can only be installed on 128MB of it. Is that correct?

Also, I've read that the browser on the Bold is "better," but I can't seem to find out why. How is it different from the browser on the Pearl or the Curve? Is it just because it's a bigger, brighter screen, or is the browser somehow better.

I've also read a bit about the Niagara and the Javelin. How do those differ from the Bold?

Anyway, any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ndub33
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Really you're best bet is to visit a couple of retail stores, and "touch and feel" the devices you are interested in. They all have positive points, it's a question of what will work best for you.

As far as I know, there are no fundamental differences in the browser for the Bold as opposed to the Curve, Javelin, or any other current BlackBerry device.

Glen1124
03-15-2009, 07:12 AM
If you want to look at phone reviews I'd recommend review centre

Or try looking around retail stores

Hope This Helps;-)

GadgetGuru72
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. However, reading review sites and going to retail stores would only help if I was conflicted about the current line of BBs. I'm not. If I were to purchase a new BB today it would be the Bold. My concern is really more focused on whether I should wait for one of the upcoming BBs -- the Javelin, the Niagara, etc. Other than photos that may not even be legit, I can't find too much info about these, and I'm wondering how they compare to the Bold. Does anyone know how the upcoming BBs compare to the Bold, so that I can determine if I should wait to upgrade? Thanks.