PDA

View Full Version : Pearl 8100 vs. Pearl Flip

k4tj3
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I was chatting with a T-Mobile customer service rep on the phone about my lack of reception at home and work with my Pearl 8100. He was trying to tell me that because it is a two year old phone, the something is not as good as in the 8120 that they carry, or the Pearl Flip that I'm looking at buying, and if I upgrade to almost any other phone, my reception problem will be instantly solved.

True? False?

Am I better off switching to a new carrier (everyone else in my building gets signal just fine)? Will a new phone be more likely to pick up signal that my 8100 is missing?

When I go into my settings, I can SEE the AT&T network, but I cant get to it. :(

coldconfession13
03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Well that could be the case it also isn't. Is there anybody else in that building with tmobile. See if they get the same problems, if they do then it's not just a phone problem but service problem. But it would be a nice upgrade if you are eligible to go with the pearl flip or 8120

k4tj3
03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm the only one with T-Mob unfortunately. :( But every other carrier is represented.

And I'd be happy to stay with T-Mob, but I don't want to sign a new contract and get a new phone for $X if I'm still not going to receive coverage here.

rambo47
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I found my 8220 had good signal reception but not great signal reception. Maybe a hair below average for Blackberrys, which are generally excellent. My Pearl 8100 was slightly better, but that was a few years back.

The Pearl flip seems to have a bit of lag in the OS, where the 8100 did not. Since they're both SureType™ devices I rule that out as the cause.

Trimix
03-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Wirelessly posted

I think in the past, it would have true as in the span of 2yrs technology improved a lot. I don't really see that happening as much now and especially with a device like BlackBerries.

But I think Tmobile let's you try out there service for like a 2-week period before you hvae to fully commit to a contract. Don't know if that option is still available, but that might be good to look into.

k4tj3
03-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I have been considering the 2 week trial thing, but in order to get Custermer Loyalty pricing (since I have been with them for 6 years) I would have to have the phone mailed to me, and I'm worried about transit time, testing time, and that 2 weeks being up and getting locked into something because it took too long to get to me or something. I'll probably do it, but was hoping for some good advice before I go that route.

Divius1
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm the only one with T-Mob unfortunately. :( But every other carrier is represented.

And I'd be happy to stay with T-Mob, but I don't want to sign a new contract and get a new phone for $X if I'm still not going to receive coverage here.
^muh wife is Tmo and I'm At&t.. she has NO signal and I pull 2 bars while standing side by side. some times vise versa go figure.

btw. I went At&t cuz there was no Verizon signal on a 7 mi. road I frequent.