PDA

View Full Version : Problems with BIS and IMAP connection to our mail server

Gary Gladney
03-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a ticket open with Blackberry RQST00006533378 concerning this issue. At approximately 5:30AM on 3/13 Backberry stopped polling our email server for email and people stopped receiving email on their phone. This had been working fine up to 3/13. Looking into the problem I deleted my email setup and have tried to use email setup on my phone as well as the Sprint.blackberry.com (Sprint is my carrier) WEB site. Both places tell me that it cannot find my mail domain stsci.edu. I use the email validation tool and its able to not find my mail server but it also tell me how many messages are in my inbox. I have tried repeatedly to resolve this issue with Blackberry support, because this is affecting not only me but everyone at my site which includes 15 other people who use different carriers. I have sent Backberry support numerous logs showing that we are not blocking their IP address ranges specified in document id KB11036. Depending on who I talked to at Blackberry the response I have gotten is "We are blocking their DNS query", "We are redirecting the connection for IMAPS", "We are blocking their source IP address". When I have asked for a copy of this trace they are looking I'm told "It has proprietary information and they cannot email it to me". When I ask to delete the proprietary information and send me the IP header information "I'm told they cannot do that". I've sent them trace log showing they we never see a POP, IMAP or IMAPS conneciton from any of their advertised IP ranges.

I work for company that manages the Hubble Space Telescope project for NASA. So I am used to dealing with other Tech support agencys and worldwide connectivity issues but this has to be the worst support I have ever gotten from a company that projects itself to world class enterprise. Either their tech support is either lying or incompetent. I would hope it is just some policy issue rather than incompetency.

Personally I was using a Palm Treo and switch to 8330 Blackberry and now I find that was mistake and I should go buy another Treo. At least the Treo worked as advertised.

If RIM is interested in keeping my business and the people I work with as Blackberry customers then someone at RIM/Blackberry should talk to the support staff and have them either email or call me with the information or help so we can resolve this problem and please don't tell to power off my phone of send I need to allow Blackberry IP address through our firewalls. Or we can continue going the same path we are on now and I will guarantee that I will not be only customer who drops Blackberry as a wireless phone or service provider. My contact information is in the call log.

Gary Gladney
Network Mgr
Space Telescope Science Institute

Jadey
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Just to clarify - you are aware that this site is in no way affiliated with RIM?

I only say that because posting here will not make RIM call you, sorry.

dc/dc
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Lol.

southwestcomm
03-19-2009, 07:24 PM
If it was only affecting Sprint BIS users I'd say there was an issue with RIM/Sprint. Considering ALL carrier devices are affected chances are something changed within your environment to create the issue.

Perhaps you should invest in a BES.