PDA

View Full Version : bluetooth sync

dandun
10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
I just read on blackberry.com that if you have the desktop manager software version 4.1 as well as the blackberry device software version 4.1 that you can sync electronically all your data through bluetooth. my question is, does anyone have the device software 4.1 for 7100t or know where i can get it?

BB_0wned
10-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I believe that software will be released sometime in November...

acm
10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I have a new 7100i and despite having spent hours with Nextel level 2 support, Blackberry support, and Dell removing drivers, downloading, reinstalling, and following all the instructions on the BB site - I still cannot sync using BT!!! Arrrrggh!!

I just can't check the litte box in BB Device Manager that says "Enable Bluetooth Support" because it is grayed out.

Anyone else tried it all and cannot make it work? FYI, I have a Dell Lattitude D800 with internal BT.

Fraternally in frustration!! ACM

John Clark
10-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Are you on a BES with your company's IT department? If so, they may have the bluetooth IT policy option disabled on their end. I have read that all the government accounts have bluetooth disabled because they don't consider it safe enough. They can't even have a bluetooth headset connected. I also read somewhere on here that the bluetooth data option on the BES is defaulted to disabled so they may have it disabled and not necessarily mean to. It might be worth checking into if you are on a BES.

martin_j001
10-31-2005, 07:13 AM
check the faq linked in my signature for info on how to get bt sync going. It requires Desktop Manager 4.1 (already out) and Handheld OS 4.1 (out for 7100i), as well as Windows XP with Service Pack 2, and a Windows "approved/certified" BT adapter (if you had to install drives, it isn't approved)--there's a list of approved USB BT adapters in my FAQ....Hope this helps.

HDClown
10-31-2005, 07:40 AM
I set this up last night in 5 minutes. I have a Latitude D600 with no built in Bluetooth and an OptiPlex GX280 at the office. I baught the 10m Belkin Bluetooth adaptor, plugged it in and in 60 seconds the XP SP2 drivers had been installed.

I followed the steps in the article on blackberry.com and it worked like a charm, VERY cool. Now I can sit in my office at my desk and not get e-mails to my Blackberry, which is awesome

The Dell Bluetooth module is supposed by XP SP2, but you cannot install the drivers. You must use the XP SP2 built in drivers, and you must disable 2 Bluetooth IT Policy settings on the BES, assuming you are on a BES server, which requires 4.0 SP3, or 4.1 when available.

acm
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks.

Still can't make it work. I am not on a BES, just BB Internet for my computer only. I am using Desktop Manager 4.1 and the BB OS is v4.1.0.136 (platform 2.0.0.44). I have a Dell True Mobile Bluetooth Module. With Dell we uninstalled the device, then restarted, had windows find the hardware and install the driver. The wizard went to the internet it got a driver called WIDCOMM 26 Apr-04 ver 3.0.1.804. The was not option for a driver made by windows. MY BT adaptor is internal.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks - ACM

martin_j001
10-31-2005, 12:49 PM
^^ You CANNOT use Widcomm drivers--the only BT adapter drivers that are compatible with Windows XP SP2 are those that are included in the Windows software. If you installed drivers from a disk or internet site, and not from our hard drive from a Windows location, your device will not allow you to BT sync. When you install the device, tell the program to search your C:/ drive for drivers--if they aren't found, then the BT adapter you are using is not "Windows Approved", as the software doesn't contain the drivers for it....

acm
10-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks Jeff - I uninstalled the BT device, did the search on C:/, and it installed the same WIDCOMM driver from the Windows folder. I searched the MS website for a BT driver and the only one found was for a mouse and keyboard. Where do I find the elusive XP2 BT driver?

Thanks for your help!

ACM

PS: Why can't it just work with a BT device regardless of the driver. Isn't easy connectivity between devices one of the hallmarks of BT anyway!!!

martin_j001
10-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Hey, i've posted the list of approved adapters in the FAQ in my signature--there's only about 10 or so of them. The reason for this is, once again, RIM's legendary security issues--which doesn't always make personal bb use very easy on many of us.

acm
10-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Jeff -

I completely uninstalled the BT software that came with my computer using Add/Remove Programs and then removed BT device from my device mngr in control panel. When I restarted, same as before the wizard wanted to add the found BT hardware. However I don't know how to install the MS driver. I had the wizard browse my windows 32 folder but all it finally did was find the Widcomm driver in the Programs files/Dell etc.

I used you link and went to your site and my BT adapter is on the list. I followed the instructions on RIM's site but them seem to gloss over the part when I am lost.

I guess all I need at this point is to know where to tell the Add hardware wizard to look for the right MS BT driver.

Can you help again!!

Thanks - Alex

HDClown
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
You need to remove the .INF file that was installed with BT drivers for your card. Extract the Dell drivers and look for .INF files, try to find a matching one in \windows\inf. If you do, move it out of that folder. When windows detects the card again, it won't have the INF that came with the Dell drivers to tell the system to find the Dell BT drivers. Instead, it should use the XP drivers.

Thanks Jeff -

I completely uninstalled the BT software that came with my computer using Add/Remove Programs and then removed BT device from my device mngr in control panel. When I restarted, same as before the wizard wanted to add the found BT hardware. However I don't know how to install the MS driver. I had the wizard browse my windows 32 folder but all it finally did was find the Widcomm driver in the Programs files/Dell etc.

I used you link and went to your site and my BT adapter is on the list. I followed the instructions on RIM's site but them seem to gloss over the part when I am lost.

I guess all I need at this point is to know where to tell the Add hardware wizard to look for the right MS BT driver.

Can you help again!!

Thanks - Alex

acm
10-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Maybe you can tell that I am out of my league here so maybe you can give to me in smaller bites!

When you say "extract" the Dell drivers what does that mean? Seems like Iam close to BT utopia but can't quite get there!

Thanks - Alex

HDClown
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Maybe you can tell that I am out of my league here so maybe you can give to me in smaller bites!

When you say "extract" the Dell drivers what does that mean? Seems like Iam close to BT utopia but can't quite get there!

Thanks - Alex

If you don't have it anymore, download the drivers from the Dell website again. Open the .EXE in winzip and extract it somewhere. Look through it all and find all the .INF files. Note the name. No look through c:\windows\inf and find any matches. MOVE those matches out of c:\windows\inf into some other folder (c:\oldINFs). Then delete the detected BT card from your device manager and let Windows redetect it.

The idea is, that since you removed the INF, the system doesn't know where to find any drivers except the ones that come with XP.

Then of course, there's always the chance that the BT card in your laptop is not the one supported natively by XP SP2, but, I'm fairly certain Dell only has 1 TrueMobile BT adaptor, so you should be good.

dandun
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
check the faq linked in my signature for info on how to get bt sync going. It requires Desktop Manager 4.1 (already out) and Handheld OS 4.1 (out for 7100i), as well as Windows XP with Service Pack 2, and a Windows "approved/certified" BT adapter (if you had to install drives, it isn't approved)--there's a list of approved USB BT adapters in my FAQ....Hope this helps.
anyone have the os software version 4.1 or later??

martin_j001
11-02-2005, 09:02 AM
anyone have the os software version 4.1 or later??

It comes standard on the 7100i. If you have any other model, you'll have to wait for it to be released by your carrier, which should be soon....As for Desktop 4.1, you can get that from the Blackberry.com site.

whsbuss
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Has anyone tried the Belkin F8T001v or F8T008 USB adapter available from Circuit City?

martin_j001
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tried the Belkin F8T001v or F8T008 USB adapter available from Circuit City?

I'm not positive, but I think those will work. There are two Belkin USB adapters listed on the list, and these are the only two that I've been able to find by them in my limited searching for Belkin USB adapters. If you try one, let us know if it works!!

HDClown
11-02-2005, 02:33 PM

I am using the F8T003v, which is the exact same thing as the F8T001v, but only good to 10m instead of 100m. So the F8T001v will work.

CompUSA carries the 001v and 003v. The 008 isn't even listed on Belkin's site, go figure.

whsbuss
11-02-2005, 02:38 PM
I am using the F8T003v, which is the exact same thing as the F8T001v, but only good to 10m instead of 100m. So the F8T001v will work.

CompUSA carries the 001v and 003v. The 008 isn't even listed on Belkin's site, go figure.

Thanks for the update. I saw that the 008 wasn't on the Belkin site as well. Hard to believe its released without any support.

I assume you DON'T use the software that comes with the adapter..... just plug it in and let XP-SP2 find the driver, correct?

martin_j001
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
^^Yes.

island
11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
I just bought the Belkin PC Card BT Adapter and it does NOT work with SP2 drivers alone. Does anyone know of a PC Card BT adapter that does?

I know the USB ones work but anyone with a laptop knows that if you have to plug in a usb adapter everytime you want to sync, you just might as well just plug in the blackberry itself....

HDClown
11-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the update. I saw that the 008 wasn't on the Belkin site as well. Hard to believe its released without any support.

I assume you DON'T use the software that comes with the adapter..... just plug it in and let XP-SP2 find the driver, correct?

Correct. Plug it in and in 30 seconds XP has it installed properly. After that, it takes about 3 seconds to recognize each time it's plugged in.

jhzafrani
11-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I tried the Linksys Bluetooth adapter yesterday and it worked even though it is not on the list that I have seen of approved adapters. Even though the instructions clearly state to install the supplied software, I did not and just connected it to the USB port. After 60-90 seconds, it was recognized and all the Microsoft drivers were used. After rebooting (even though Windows did not prompt me to reboot), I was able to enable bluetooth support in the device manager.

The only other issue that I had to get around is that the PC did not find the phone (7100i). I found out the reason was due to the fact that the phone was already paired with my headset. The moment I turned off the headset, the PC discovered the phone. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the phone or bluetooth, but neverthelesss, I am now syncing remotely. Now if I could only find a way to clear the prompts that intellisync displays or to do a periodic sync....

MozMan68
11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
You know...this was something I asked about last month and was told it wasn't possible (by Jibi??).

After I thought about it for a while, I decided that it wouldn't be worth connecting my 7100g to my tablet pc via Bluetooth....what's the benefit?? You use up your battery instead of getting a charge from USB....especially if you are travelling (which is when I more likely need a charge).

The only benefit I can see is if you do not have any free USB ports left and you are okay plugging into the wall while bluetooth does the synch......hmmmmm...maybe I'll try that.

HDClown
11-05-2005, 10:20 AM
You know...this was something I asked about last month and was told it wasn't possible (by Jibi??).

After I thought about it for a while, I decided that it wouldn't be worth connecting my 7100g to my tablet pc via Bluetooth....what's the benefit?? You use up your battery instead of getting a charge from USB....especially if you are travelling (which is when I more likely need a charge).

The only benefit I can see is if you do not have any free USB ports left and you are okay plugging into the wall while bluetooth does the synch......hmmmmm...maybe I'll try that.

Here is one huge benefit to BT sync: You disable e-mail redirection without needing to not keep your phone with you at all times.

I, personally, have no need to get e-mails to my BB while I'm sitting at my desk. Cradling handheld all day isn't a good option, but having to remember to pick it up every time I walk away is a huge hassle, and I'd leave it half the time, potentially missing calls.

With BT sync, I just get up and go and I don't worry about my phone. I come back and it's cradled back up, no more e-mail redirection while i'm at my desk, can't beat it.

It does take it's tole on the batter, but with my standard 7100i battery, I can go 12 hours, using BT Sync for 9 of those, and be at 50% battery, with moderate phone and e-mail usage.

When I leave my desk for extended periods of time, I disable BT to save battery.

There are a few guys on the BT forum who use extended batteries in their phone, using BT all day (for headsets) and indicate they talk 2000-4000 minutes a month and have had no issues of running out of battery power.

yont24
11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
hello all ive finally got my 7100i to sync with my hp zd8000 with a widcomm BT. its pretty simple. first your must disable your BT connection then remove the software from add/remove. next oen your device manager and scan for new hardware. follow the window wizard and it will install a ms driver. and your done. the check box on desk software is no longer grey. good luck. thanks retrohunter for the site above very helpful

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledge... 250&vernum=11

acm
11-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I tried that process on my Dell Lattitude D800 and although I deleted the Widcomm driver (Dell) the add new hardware wizard keeps finding the Dell Tru Mobile driver which is Widcomm. I searched the MS XP website to try to find a MS driver to sub during the add new hardware process but could not find any on the site. Nextel told me they don't support it.

For me the why BT sync is it is more simple than having wires in the way on my desk and b/c I would like to use the functionality that I sought out in a LT and phone.

Can anyone tell me where to find the MS driver?

Thanks!

yont24
11-14-2005, 04:10 AM
does your pc have sp2 installed??? that where the windows bt drivers come from... after you remove the widcomm drivers in add and remove. backup the drivers and remover them from the pc... that way windows will install its driver and not widcomms.

NxlKing2304
11-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Possible Solution to Your Problem:

I had the same problem, and i have been fighting with this for about two weeks with my 7100i! After a little trial and error, i think i found the solution! I have a Dell Insiprion 9100! It is a little glitch with the DLL files in the blackberry desktop software! Try this out and let me know what happens!

Click 'Start'
Click 'Run'
Type, 'Command' or 'CMD' and hit enter

Navigate To:
C:\Progra~1\Common~1\Resear~1\USBDri~1
When There Type these two commands in this order!!!
bbdevmgr.exe /regserver -- HIT ENTER
regsvr32 bbdevmgrps.dll -- HIT ENTER
NOTE: After you typed that last command it should have brought you back to a windows XP desktop and said something about succedded?!?! If it did, Then go back to your command prompt!

Navigate To:
C:\Progra~1\Common~1\Resear~1\RIMDev~1
rimdevicemanager.exe /regserver -- HIT ENTER
regsvr32 rimdevicemanagerps.dll -- HIT ENTER
NOTE: After you typed that last command it should have brought you back to a windows XP desktop and said something about succedded?!?! If it did, continue! If It did, close out your command prompt!

MAKE SURE YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER IS NOT RUNNING!!!!
AT THIS POINT, GO AND PAIR YOUR PHONE BACK UP, IF IT IS ALREADY PAIRED REMOVE IT AND REPAIR IT! WHEN YOU GET TO THE SCREEN WHERE IT SAYS ABOUT THE PASSKEY, LET YOUR COMPUTER CHOOSE A PASSKEY FOR YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! BEFORE CONTINUEING MAKE SURE YOUR BLACKBERRY SHOWS THE TWO LITTLE ARROWS TO THE RIGHT OF THE BLUETOOTH ICON BY THE SIGNAL!

START YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER, THEN CLICK CONFIGURE BLUETOOTH, DELETE YOUR OLD BLACKBERRY DEVICE, AND ADD THE NEW ONE! AND HIT OK! YOU SHOULD NOW SEE YOUR BLACKBERRY START TO INTERACT WITH YOUR COMPUTER!

dandun
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Possible Solution to Your Problem:

I had the same problem, and i have been fighting with this for about two weeks with my 7100i! After a little trial and error, i think i found the solution! I have a Dell Insiprion 9100! It is a little glitch with the DLL files in the blackberry desktop software! Try this out and let me know what happens!

Click 'Start'
Click 'Run'
Type, 'Command' or 'CMD' and hit enter

Navigate To:
C:\Progra~1\Common~1\Resear~1\USBDri~1
bbdevmgr.exe /regserver -- HIT ENTER
regsvr32 bbdevmgrps.dll -- HIT ENTER
NOTE: After you typed that last command it should have brought you back to a windows XP desktop and said something about succedded?!?! If it did, Then go back to your command prompt!

Navigate To:
C:\Progra~1\Common~1\Resear~1\RIMDev~1
rimdevicemanager.exe /regserver -- HIT ENTER
regsvr32 rimdevicemanagerps.dll -- HIT ENTER
NOTE: After you typed that last command it should have brought you back to a windows XP desktop and said something about succedded?!?! If it did, continue! If It did, close out your command prompt!

MAKE SURE YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER IS NOT RUNNING!!!!
AT THIS POINT, GO AND PAIR YOUR PHONE BACK UP, IF IT IS ALREADY PAIRED REMOVE IT AND REPAIR IT! WHEN YOU GET TO THE SCREEN WHERE IT SAYS ABOUT THE PASSKEY, LET YOUR COMPUTER CHOOSE A PASSKEY FOR YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! BEFORE CONTINUEING MAKE SURE YOUR BLACKBERRY SHOWS THE TWO LITTLE ARROWS TO THE RIGHT OF THE BLUETOOTH ICON BY THE SIGNAL!

START YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER, THEN CLICK CONFIGURE BLUETOOTH, DELETE YOUR OLD BLACKBERRY DEVICE, AND ADD THE NEW ONE! AND HIT OK! YOU SHOULD NOW SEE YOUR BLACKBERRY START TO INTERACT WITH YOUR COMPUTER!
What phone is that for? 7100t? What device software?

I don't want to go through such a complicated procedure if it won't even be worth it in the end.

martin_j001
11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Its unbelievable to ask that question after all the times this information has been posted....

Bluetooth sync requires:

Handheld OS version 4.1 or later
Desktop Manager version 4.1
One of the specified Bluetooth adapters
Windows XP with SP2

If you don't have all of the above it does not matter which device you have, cause you won't be using bluetooth sync. If you have all of the above (which at the time of this post is only available for the NEXTEL 7100i as mentioned numerous times already), you can use bluetooth sync.

Get it?!

dandun
11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
relax there. don't keep coming into the 'bluetooth sync' folder if you don't wanna read about bluetooth sync questions. maybe you should spend less time on this forum and go out and relax a bit

martin_j001
11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Maybe you should try reading when people actually answer your questions instead of starting four or five different threads on the same topic and asking the same questions over and over again. Reading really isn't that hard, its taught to most people when they are very young. Maybe you should check out this great site (http://secure.hop.com/) for some help.... it has helped many people!!! :)

yont24
11-18-2005, 04:28 PM
too funny

harryzuluberries
11-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

go2duke
11-18-2005, 08:20 PM
What is too funny is the fact he wasted 10 minutes on 1. writing the answer again and 2. writing the rebuttal..

-G2D

dandun
11-18-2005, 09:32 PM
exactly. all he did was prove that what i said was true

martin_j001
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
What is too funny is the fact he wasted 10 minutes on 1. writing the answer again and 2. writing the rebuttal..

-G2D

If it would take you 10 minutes to compose a 3 or 4 sentence post, you need that link just as bad....

exactly. all he did was prove that what i said was true

You mean you posted something with a point? When?! Where?! I'm sure it wasn't in any way relevant to blackberry use and/or service..but I'm amazed nonetheless!!! Congratulations!!!

MrKyoo
11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Iím all set now with Bluetooth. (y)

-MrKyoo

dandun
11-24-2005, 11:19 PM
How did you get it working? If I set up my BES, will it then be enabled for bluetooth sync? I read somewhere that it's possible to sync contacts information that way.

morser
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
WIndows Xp sp2
Desktop Manager 4.1
Blackberry 8700

Bluetooth from Kensington (Driver is Widcomm)
installed with driver, then completely deleted any trace of the driver.

Windows doesn't recognize the device as a bluetooth device. just "USB Device". can't pick the microsoft bluetooth driver for it because it doesn't come up in the Add hardware list under manufactuer Microsoft. only bluetooth device listed is "Bluetooth HID"

I'm going to assume that this bluetooth puppy won't work at all. but i'll play with trying to get it to use Windows Bluetooth driver.
I emailed Kensington and asked when they would have microsoft certified drivers but no answer for 1 week.

morser
01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
UPDATE:
This Kensington Bluetooth Adapater, model 33085 (A) is not even a Blue tooth device without the Kensington Driver. So in short, don't buy this one for this purpose. Two emails to tech support went unanswered (asking about using native XP driver with it, and if they are planning on coming out with certified drivers).
Search keywords (so others may avoid my mistake)
Bluetooth
Blackberry
Widcomm
Sync

bcbond
01-11-2006, 01:04 AM
I too am having trouble installing the "MS BT stack" on my hp nc6000. Simply uninstalling the existing WIDCOMM driver and allowing the add new hardware wizard to install one on its own doesn't work. It just throws the WIDCOMM back on. I followed the advice of searching for INF files in c:\windows\inf that relate to my bt driver's extracted files but none are found. Perhaps someone who has this working can look at their driver properties and tell me what the file name of the MS driver is? Or, additional advice is appreciated.

serpico
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info folks. Just downloaded and installed the Hong Kong release of 4.1 onto my 7100t. Had some trouble with bluetooth sync ("Enable Bluetooth Support" was greyed out in Device Mgr properties) until I saw the link posted in this thread. Here it is for those who are having the same issue:
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/1067148/1067313/How_To_-_Set_up_Bluetooth_PC_Connectivity.html?nodeid=1067250&vernum=0

timjburrows
05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I just want to say that for anyone using a Dell Inspiron (I have a 630m with internal Bluetooth) that is having trouble getting that freakin "Enable Bluetooth Support" checkbox in the Device Manager "enabled", I can relate the way that I did it, and it's a little different to the way that the BB KB article that has been referenced a few times on these threads describes it.
The key step is to get rid of the bth.inf file when you uninstall the Toshiba BT drivers. I uninstalled the Toshiba drivers heaps of times, rebooting each time and expecting to see xp install Microsofts version of the driver (per the article), but each time it just said that it had found a mysterious "USB device" that it couldn't do anything with.
But - once I renamed the "bth.inf" file (which is in the c:\windows\inf directory) to bth.bak and rebooted, xp found and installed all the Microsoft BT drivers with no problem.
The only issue I have now is that I need v4.1 software on the 7100g and Telstra hasn't authorised that from RIM yet. I can pair with no prob, but can't sync. I'm checking to see when that will happen, but I'm not holding my breath. Kinda disappointing as I had expected that a handheld with Bluetooth would be able to sync using Bluetooth (naive huh).
Cheers,
Tim

iwannagolf
05-19-2006, 09:21 AM
there appeared to be a conflict in my profile. i set up a new profile and all of a sudden i could synch. better yet, now i can synch on my original profile. strange but true.

archiberry
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I have uninstalled the Toshiba drivers that came with the Dell and installed the windows drivers back. The Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module is a Microsoft supported USB device.

In my Blackberry Device Manager I am able to check "Enable Bluetooth Support".

On the Blackberry, I have enabled the bluetooth and made the device discoverable and given it a unique name.

When I seach to add devices it does not find the Blackberry.....

I have rebooted both the computer and the Blackberry a couple of times.

Any suggestions?

PS: When I had the earlier Toshiba driver, I could pair to the Blackberry, but had the "Enable Bluetooth Support" within the device manager grayed out.

Thanks for any help--I have wasted a lot of time on this already.