PDA

View Full Version : Is the 8700 MP3 capable?

RIMarkable
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Pinstack is saying that the 8700 is MP3 capable. Has anyone else heard this?

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=14&id=63&artlang=en

thriller
10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
maybe mp3 style ringtones not to play mp3's i would guess

bperkins
10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
A couple of people here posted that it was going to be capable of MP3 Ringtones.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showpost.php?p=117803&postcount=4

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showpost.php?p=99889&postcount=39

guinda35
10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
c'mon man, the BB is way too sophisticated a device to waste its time playing songs.

mikej5780
10-31-2005, 02:26 PM
The 8700 does have mp3 and wav support, but a 300K file size limit. Like the 7100 with adp's, the files need to be loaded from the browser.

nEMESIS4
10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
c'mon man, the BB is way too sophisticated a device to waste its time playing songs.I hope that is some sort of joke?

Hopefully it is able to, if so I will pick one up right away. The ability to receive a cut of a track directly from the studio, minutes after it was recorded will make my life so much easier.

This would be yet another feature that allows Blackberry's to help businesses be more efficient.

saldous
10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
It doesn't have a memory card slot (as far as I know) so where would you store them?

blkberryboy
10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I hope that is some sort of joke?

Hopefully it is able to, if so I will pick one up right away. The ability to receive a cut of a track directly from the studio, minutes after it was recorded will make my life so much easier.

This would be yet another feature that allows Blackberry's to help businesses be more efficient.

Why not just invest in an mp3 player or burn it to cd? Am I missing something?

nb_mitch
10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I travel light on my motorcycle, so if it could store a few songs(10), that would be nice. Country music doesn't take up too much space, does it? ;)

I have my blackberry for email #1, phone #2, IM #3, one day I would like to do the laptop modem (#5) thing for trips when hotels can be unreliable.

nEMESIS4
10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Why not just invest in an mp3 player or burn it to cd? Am I missing something?I'm talking about a fresh recording directly from a recording studio. The process would be:

1) A musician could cut a track, or a radio spot could be created.

2) The engineer/producer prepares a mix and emails it to me.

3) I could listen to it on my Blackberry and reply with my thoughts.

4) Minutes later he could send over a revised mix with any changes. I could then forward it over the mix to others for feedback.

5) Finally I could authorize the radio spot or mix if necessary.

I do this currently from my PC, but like email, it would be nice to handle this type of thing as quickly and conveniently as possible.

The point of a Blackberry in my opinion is to maximize the efficiency of using email. Without the ability to open up key attachments it isn't being used to its maximum capabilities. It needs to be 'more sophisticated' so it can handle all business email demands. ;)

For me personally this would come in handy. The use of video in the same way would be great, but I'm not expecting that for awhile. The ability to proof a commercial on the go would be priceless.

Mark Rejhon
10-31-2005, 05:39 PM
According to Cingular - http://www.cingular.com/blackberry8700c - They claim it is MP3 ringtone capable.

Historically, earlier BlackBerries could not play ringtones by email, but they could download ringtones via a webpage directly and allow you to play them from there. Nothing that a web drive can't easily fix.

mikej5780
10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately it does not play adp files created for the 7100's so it looks like the community will have to start building a new library of ringtones. :-(

AlbertoM
10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately it does not play adp files created for the 7100's so it looks like the community will have to start building a new library of ringtones. :-(
But there are tons of MP3 ringtones out there!

Soapm
10-31-2005, 10:41 PM
What would be nice is if we could stream mp3. This would get us around the limited memory.

guinda35
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
What would be nice is if we could stream mp3. This would get us around the limited memory.
Now you're talking. My ipod player is just dandy. Streaming music on the BB -- cool.

omslaw
10-31-2005, 11:18 PM
c'mon man, the BB is way too sophisticated a device to waste its time playing songs.

Just cuz a file is MP3 or WAV doesn't mean it's a song! My Corporate Voice Mail system delivers messages via email...as WAV attachments!

It sure would be nice to be able to listen to them via the 'speaker' rather than having to dial-in and listen via the TUI.

mikej5780
11-01-2005, 08:57 AM
My Corporate Voice Mail system delivers messages via email...as WAV attachments!

You may be in luck then...8700 will support WAV files through the browser; however, once again limited to a 300K file size. Plus BES 4.1 is supposed to add WAV support the the attachment service (for this very purpose). I'll try testing it and let you know.

nEMESIS4
11-01-2005, 01:50 PM
On blackberry.com it lists the 8700 with MP3 Ringtone capabilities, so I'm assuming you should be able to listen to email attachments. This is awesome news. WAV is nice, but the compression on MP3 would be ideal.

authentication_key
11-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm talking about a fresh recording directly from a recording studio. The process would be:

1) A musician could cut a track, or a radio spot could be created.

2) The engineer/producer prepares a mix and emails it to me.

3) I could listen to it on my Blackberry and reply with my thoughts.

4) Minutes later he could send over a revised mix with any changes. I could then forward it over the mix to others for feedback.

5) Finally I could authorize the radio spot or mix if necessary.

I do this currently from my PC, but like email, it would be nice to handle this type of thing as quickly and conveniently as possible.

The point of a Blackberry in my opinion is to maximize the efficiency of using email. Without the ability to open up key attachments it isn't being used to its maximum capabilities. It needs to be 'more sophisticated' so it can handle all business email demands. ;)

For me personally this would come in handy. The use of video in the same way would be great, but I'm not expecting that for awhile. The ability to proof a commercial on the go would be priceless.

I can confirm that we will see video playback on future BBs. (confirmed)

DavidE
11-01-2005, 02:35 PM
WAV is nice, but the compression on MP3 would be ideal.I wonder how broad the support for WAV and MP3 will be.

(1) What sampling rates and frequencies does it support?
(2) Can it handle pre-existing stereo files without the files having to be converted to mono?

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

jhtp
02-22-2006, 01:11 PM
You may be in luck then...8700 will support WAV files through the browser; however, once again limited to a 300K file size. Plus BES 4.1 is supposed to add WAV support the the attachment service (for this very purpose). I'll try testing it and let you know.

I have a 8700 but I can`t open .wav attachments

jibi
02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I have a 8700 but I can`t open .wav attachments
There are some forum threads that are newer than the end of October that discuss the requirements for MP3 and WAV files, the reasons why some handhelds (8700c) cannot do WAV attachments, etc.

DuckWingDuck
02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Seems like it would be wiser to invest in a Smartphone or Windows Mobile PDA-Phone if you're in the "music biz"

Debias
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
i have had no success in retrieveing mp3 file attachements to my 8700 either. i finally broke down and purchased mini ring tone from www.simprit.com. works very well so far. however im not sure if it really is converting the files to mp3 or some other kind of file format?

DuckWingDuck
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, I think the problem is, there are no application developed for the BB that would be capable of playing MP3 files >300KB

10mA
02-22-2006, 07:16 PM
I was told that the MP3 ringtones supported for all common phones should be less than 200KB. So it should be the same for 8700g. I think the best bet that it will work if you download them from the operator's WAP portal. The downside for consumer is, the download will be payable to the operator.

jibi
02-22-2006, 07:42 PM
They support 32khz 16-bit stereo/mono MP3s/WAVs, and it should be able to accept up to 512KB, if I'm not mistaken. The issue with this, concerning WAV files, is that most corporate VoIP systems with voicemail (Cisco, Avaya, etc) deliver the WAV files as 8khz sampled files. It appears that carriers may have limits in place and/or the different OS versions between the various 8700 series models vary in terms of how the large a file can be in size (not sample rate).

DuckWingDuck
02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I was told that the MP3 ringtones supported for all common phones should be less than 200KB. So it should be the same for 8700g. I think the best bet that it will work if you download them from the operator's WAP portal. The downside for consumer is, the download will be payable to the operator.

You can always make your own mp3 ringtone and then forward it to your BB since BT file transfer functionality is crippled.

bobhammer
02-23-2006, 04:17 AM
I have already have my new 8700r for like a month. I still cant able to send mp3 files to my bb!!....

DuckWingDuck
02-23-2006, 11:12 AM
You can't email an attachment?

bobhammer
03-01-2006, 05:46 AM
nope..!

Johnny Utah22
03-01-2006, 11:39 AM
My solution for mp3 ringtones was as follows:

1. Edit an existing mp3 file to correspond with file size requirement and correct sampling rate, i.e 32 mhz or above. I used Cool mp3 Splitter (free) to cut the file down to about 20 seconds and then Nero for downsampling.

2. Simply go to http://www.coolservice.dk/en/compatibilities.php and there you can upload the file. Once uploaded you go to their site on your Bberry and enter a code that they give you, then download the file and save as ringtone.

FYI - When you click to download, your Bberry will show a music player on the screen, if it doesn't play the mp3 or wav then you do not have it sampled at a high enough frequency. I learned this through trial and error.

Hope this helps somebody.

wavebourn
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I made this ringtone for calls from my wife. She lowes this song. ;)

http://wavebourn.net/images/every_day.mp3

Nextel User
03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
I posted this today in the ringtones Forum.....Thought it was really cool

I was playing with my buddies 8700c last night and went to a folder on My moms site where i used to store wav files for my iden phones. my "I've Got Mail" wav file played on the 8700c. i cant wait for them to post the new software for the 7100i. for those that want it go to www.purimbasket.com/nassan and click on the yay.wav or just click here from your blackberry http://www.purimbasket.com/nassan/yay.wav

I did not know that the 8700 series could play wav files.

schalliol
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
The MP3 I sent says "unrecognized file format," but with the latest OS on my AT&T 8700c, I can receive voice mail attachments from Vonage in WAV form.

dc/dc
07-01-2007, 09:13 PM
WTF?

This thread is almost two years old. Why did you bring it back?

IceCreaMan
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
WTF?

This thread is almost two years old. Why did you bring it back?

haha... my same thoughts when i read the first from dated 2005

schalliol
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, because this was new as of today, at least for me. With the most recent Cingular update, WAV attachments simply wouldn't play for me (or others I checked with). Now it's supported. It seemed like people who posted here might like to know it. Am I missing something?