PDA

View Full Version : Unsure about the Problem..

JakeVee
03-21-2009, 01:35 PM
So I am kind of a newbie to the BlackBerry in general and I am sorry if this question seems odd or it is not fixable. Anyways, I recently got a BlackBerry 8700R from a friend and I am not really sure about much else on it. It didn't come with a Battery in it and that is why I got it. I have no idea where it is from but I do know it is a rogers blackberry 8700 r. I doubt the warranty is any good and rather than return it I was thinking maybe someone could help me out. So I ordered a battery and it came in the mail (I got it off Ebay) Its made for the 8700r and it says Blackberry right on it. I made SURE it was the right one and it is brand new. When I got it I put the battery in expecting something to happen and only got a white screen with the a battery symbol crossed out with a red line. Dang. After that I tried connecting it to the computer. I connected it and it read it as a Blackberry smartphone. I asked my brother about this and although he doesn;t have extensive knowledge about the BlackBerry he thought it was lacking software. We downloaded the proper software version 4.5 I believe and the desktop manager 4.1. I cannot get it to read the USB although the computer does recognize it and installs the driver. I have windows XP pro. The battery does seem to hold charge as the white screen is able to stay on. Also the same screen comes up when I connect it to the wall charger. Anyone who knows what this might be, Knows why this is happening, or knows if it is junk please help. Thanks in advance.

JSanders
03-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (9530; .135 MF231)

With the battery in, leave the device to charge for 3-4 hours. Then with the usb still connected remove the battery a few seconds and reinsert to reboot the BlackBerry.
Then you should get a normal homescreen.
Leave the device to charge to 100% as long as it takes.

JakeVee
03-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Okay thanks that seemed to get it to read the battery. Now it looks like it is reading it. The blackberry no longer shows the white slash battery screen but is just black. Maybe it needs software?
When I took out the battery and put it back in it asked me for the file "RimUsb.sys" from the Blackberry user tools CD.. Anywhere I can get this?
Or can I do something to put the software on?
Thanks for the help.

jsconyers
03-21-2009, 02:34 PM
That is a driver. It's found in Desktop Manager.

I don't believe you need an OS. What's on the display of the device. Here is the OS and the instructions on how to install it, if you would like/need to.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/170507-latest-os-8700-4-5-0-174-4-5-0-124-english-east-asian.html

JakeVee
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Thats what I'm finding odd. There is nothing on the screen it is just black?
The red light is on in the corner of the device. It is reading on the computer but thats it...
Ps. I am loading the OS on it now
I will update when it finishes.

Update:
"Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."
I got that at the end of step two. Also the battery with the red slash came back at the same time. :(

JakeVee
03-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Considering just taking it back to my friend.
I'm not sure I can get it to function.
Any last ditch efforts before I take it back?
I'm willing to try just about anythign at this point =/

JakeVee
03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Nothing ? At All? Dang D=
alright.

jsconyers
03-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Try reinstalling the OS posted in the link above.