PDA

View Full Version : Redirector as a service? Auto run on restart?

djrobsd
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Our company likes to randomly install patches on our PC's late at night. When they do this, my PC reboots, and the redirector will not start until I come into work the next day and login. Is there a way to automatically make the redirector run as a service when my PC is rebooted?

There has to be some way!!!

Nextel User
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
put it in the startup folder?

cyberhh
11-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Great idea, the problem is with the outlook profile. The desktop redirector uses the current outlook profile for data redirection which will only work when you are logged in to the pc, so setting the redirector as a service will not help. I am looking for a solution to the same issue.

dyzs
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
What about putting outlook (with a default profile set) in your startup folder? If you have a password set then just store it locally and then it should resume redirection.

djrobsd
11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Well I thought with services, that they ran under the login and password you specify when you add that service to the services section under control panel? So, therefore if I put my normal login and password, it should be able to run under that context?

jboogie
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
it would help if you could tell us what kind of network your company uses..

is it an NT (i hope not) domain or is it a 2003 AD domain?

are you an admin on your local box?

i help administer an AD2003 domain, and by default you can not store passwords locally... i also assume that you dont use the "welcome" screen.. probably the classic 2000 logon screen. this complicates things...

even as an admin i face the same problems. when LANDesk pushes updates and patches to the box, the reboot is explicit; it always reboots, which is nessasary in our work environment. so basicly i quit getting emails at friday 3AM until monday morning when i log back in...

i was concerned with this at first, so i messed with it some... i made what i like to call a "back-up redirection server"

i have my box at home redirecting mail there also.. the only difference is that it doesnt run as a service at startup. when i leave work, i make sure that i am sync-ted(?) with my mailbox there so i dont get a double wammie. then i log off completely. when i get home, i can sync it with the home.. same email, different box and that works.

being an admin, i usually get a phone call when the caca hits the blades... they never email me unless human resources is starting a pilaties class or stupid stuff anyways.

have you tried creating a third email to allow continous fowarding? my buddy does it that way.. cause he always gets emails. we do have access to the SMTP server.

now, if you have admin rights (or a buddy in IT) and you host your own SMTP then maybe (this is a big maybe, and only if he likes you) he could a allow you a logoff script, that if your account is not logged in the mail server enacts a rule for fowarding.. just a thought.

sorry to ramble.. i was faced with the same predicament and thought about this for a while.. just sharing what i thought up that worked for me and my IT buddies.

jboogie
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Well I thought with services, that they ran under the login and password you specify when you add that service to the services section under control panel? So, therefore if I put my normal login and password, it should be able to run under that context?

they can, but policies follow a hierarchy..

if you could gain access to the local machine policy, you could probably run outlook as a local machine service... in the same way a standard computer can act as a print server when not logged on. the computer only need be powered to do its thing... i dont even know where to start on that...

sorry to double post...

sunnyyan1
12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
I have the exact same issue, my company also randomly restart pcs. I havn't find any solution around this.