PDA

View Full Version : 8700c + aim???

blake.blake
11-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know if this will support verichat or have something different because of EDGE.

Verichat works great on my nextel BB and i would like to get out of nextel but i do like the aim feature when i need it.

any ideas?

OR will it be a feature code issue like the current cingular BB's and getting WAP to work

Mark Rejhon
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Chat software works fine on the 8700.

It's just TCP/IP -- no different from older BlackBerries. Just simply a faster version of TCP/IP. You will need your service books to be in order (IPPP) or have BES, just like for older BlackBerries.

rjharary
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Mark does that mean you own one?

Mark Rejhon
11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Mark does that mean you own one?Wish I did. However, I do KNOW that chat software works just fine on it...

Now that the unit is announced, I can safely claim to have at least used the unit. I do want to contine a good relationship with RIM and my employer, so I will wait until I purchase one for myself, before I post a review.

blake.blake
11-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Chat software works fine on the 8700.

It's just TCP/IP -- no different from older BlackBerries. Just simply a faster version of TCP/IP. You will need your service books to be in order (IPPP) or have BES, just like for older BlackBerries.

thank you, also because of the enhances processor and memory will it become more graphic or just basic verichat? whats in the future mark?

Mark Rejhon
11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
thank you, also because of the enhances processor and memory will it become more graphic or just basic verichat? whats in the future mark?I would feel the 8700c is the future, I think. I'm just paraphrasing what the newspaper articles and press say - lots of hype right now, but a lot of it is justified at least in my opinion.

I agree with AP newswire (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1270489) that the BlackBerry has the best color screen I ever seen in any cellphone. It's the first time I've seen a BlackBerry screen really noticeably BLOW AWAY a Treo screen. (The 8700 screen is that super-bright and vividly colorful.)

Most people doing email don't really care that much, but there are many people who have headed to other phones like Treo, just because the BlackBerry screen is not very colorful. No longer an excuse with the 8700, especially when using a photo background in the main screen.

(Online photographs don't do the 8700 screen justice - it's almost like trying to use a camera to take a picture of a computer monitor or TV, those photos always turn out bad. But it is definitely better than the 7100 series screen and Treo screens)