PDA

View Full Version : Does RIM fully test their products before selling them.....?

cd5love96
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Device in question: 8820

Issue: Previous version was 4.2 software on device. Device was dropped in water but still functional though but I know it's out of warranty. Tried to update to OS 4.5 and it was successful but as soon as I rolled the trackball it would freeze up. I'd reboot and same thing all over again.

Aggravated**

Reloaded OS4.5 2 more times, same issue.

Pissed**

Upgraded DM to v4.6, tried 2 times and same issue. Upgraded DM to v4.7 same issue.

Very Freaking Annoyed and glad I use the iPhone***

If i DOWNGRADE back to 4.2 the phone works fine. I had another BB 8800 and an 8820 sitting in the drawer collecting dust just in case my iPhone broke they would hold me down for a day or two.

Anyway thanks to the wonderful world of Blackberry and them thinking people actually have hours to spend fixing their software glitched phones I spent another 3 hours trying those steps on these phones and same issue hpapened.

I downloaded the OS from AT&T's download site AND Blackberry's download site. I covered all areas so there's possibly nothing you guys could tell me to do. I was NOT backing up the phone in the process but rather wiping them because I have nothing on those phones.

I was probing more and I noticed that all 3 phones are MADE IN MEXICO.

I'm guessing that something wasn't done right and those phones can't support the already glitched software BB offers.

Interestingly enough I downloaded OS4.5 from other CARRIERS such as vodafone, etc and it's able to download and not freeze up. How come? I thought the OS's on BB's site aren't carrier specific so why didn't it work when I downloaded it on it.

Again I have 3 phones that have failed. I threw one 8820 out the window and it shattered in pieces. That leads me to these last 2 (8800&8820)

I'm traveling to Barcelona and would like to bring the Blackberry instead of my iPhone in case I lose it down there. I'd much rather lose a BB instead.

I believe that it's an issue with BB's made in Mexico based on my trials. It's NOT a device issue because the issue can be duplicated and HARDWARE on a BB shouldn't prohibit an OS from being installed on it especially when it was made for it. What are you guys take?

sugar
03-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Device was dropped in water

Look no further. This is a piece of electronics that does not like water.
Did you remove the battery, dried it for a few hours in a warm place and put it in a bowl of rice for 3 days before pulling the battery back?

I would back up the device, wipe it out the device completing with JL_Cmder and reinstall the OS. How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

PS: Try to drop your IPhone in water. It will fry in no time because you cannot remove the battery.

Dubdub
03-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Sounds to me like water damage, not the OS or anything else.

ndub33
03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Liquid dammage can be degerative-meaning everything seems OK for a while after exposure, then one day, seemingly at random, things begin to fail. I agree with the others, I think you are suffering from the results of liquid exposure, not a poor build on RIM's part.

cd5love96
03-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok I had 3 BB's, (one which I threw out the window which was the one dropped in water. )I statesd that the one dropped in water was fully funtional and it was only dropped in a small puddle not submerged.

It's not software related if os4.2 works fine on it. I don't think you guys are fully understaning my post. I have 2 other new one with the same issue all made in Mexico.

JSanders
03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
So, let me get this straight: ALL three devices (not just the one dropping the in puddle; is that the same one you threw out a window to shatter into pieces?) when upgraded to OS 4.5 become unusable due to freeze up when the trackball is used? ALL three?

And when you downgrade ALL three back to OS 4.2, they ALL three work fine?

1. You came here with a very definite predetermined opinion not only on BlackBerry as a brand, but firmly knowing your issue is rooted to the Mexico manufacture sticker.

2. The one unit is shattered in pieces, we can't test it any longer, right?

3. You said you didn't backup the device(s) but wiped them. Using the Options > Security wipe? That does nothing to the OS. You must the JLCmder wipe as suggested above.

I downloaded OS4.5 from other CARRIERS such as vodafone, etc and it's able to download and not freeze up.

4. What am I missing ^^ here. It works? So, use it. It works and doesn't freeze up. Which device was that on, ALL THREE?

5. If you came seeking help, that is a different matter. Toss out your predetermined opinions and ask for help AND receive help.

6. Finally, if you came here only to rant, you've made your point.

You decide what you need at this point.

wu-wei
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I covered all areas so there's possibly nothing you guys could tell me to do.

My work here is done, then.

Thatzmister2u
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Ehh hmmm.... I think that you have a media card...Yes? If you would have just pulled it out you would have been just fine on 4.5......

E-