PDA

View Full Version : Anyone at the NYC LAUNCH right now?

test
11-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Anyone reading this from or going to the launch right now? IF they are handing them out there or give any details...dont forget the poor souls that couldnt make it...share some info

Dude
11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I'll be there later tonight. From what I understand, they'll be giving out vouchers.

jonkern
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm scheduled for the SF launch. I just sort of assumed that they expected us there from 6-10 P.M.. Would someone let me know if it would be possible to just stop by for an hour or so and still learn enough about the device, 8-) e.g. from 7-9 pm? S.F. is quite a drive from home. 8-) Is it like a big ****tail party or more like a training seminar?

Does anyone know what the Terra is in S.F.? Is it a hotel, restaurant, convention center, office building?
Thanks.

jonkern
11-01-2005, 07:05 PM
The astericks were not my doing. I didn't realize that the forum software deleted "suspected" profanity.

guinda35
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
The astericks were not my doing. I didn't realize that the forum software deleted "suspected" profanity.
Yeah, but it doesn't work. Certain people like Corey just use strategic astericks and profane away. It's gotten so bad that I need to lock this site up to keep it away from my nephews who can read right through the astericks.

Dude
11-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

So I'm here. Got it about 7pm. It's crowded, mostly men. The food is good. Live fish at the food bars. No beer except for heineken, and that's warm.

Dude
11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

Wait, somebody's got a cold amstel light, not that I like anything light; gotta check out the other bar.

barjohn
11-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Got what at 7PM? Got there or got an 8700c?

Dude
11-01-2005, 07:52 PM

Wait, somebody's got a cold amstel light, not that I like anything light; gotta check out the other bar.

test
11-01-2005, 07:58 PM

you told us that already! MORE info...hahaha

im signing off, have fun. hope you walk out with an 8700 and not a voucher

richard371
11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
When and where is the San Fran launch?

barjohn
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
SF Launch is Thursday night. I haven't seen much feedback from the folks at the NY event and it should be over in an hour. Can you tell us more about the event than the beer is not cold? I'm sure in SF it will be wine (Major wine country and it would be a fau pau not to serve wine instead of beer).

Dude
11-01-2005, 09:11 PM

Ok, I'm outta there. They're still waiting for Lance, and there are rumours of him bringing Cheryl Crow, but I'm done. There were no hot babes like Corey had at the Rogers event and the crowd was about 95% corporate men. Even the 4-5 vendor booths were manned. So like I said I'm outta there.

When you leave, you get a black goodie bag. It comes with: a white piece of tissue paper, about 2ft x 3ft, that says BlackBerry all over; an orange piece of tissue papaer, about 3ft x 2ft, that says BlackBerry all over; 4 sheets of ad material, full color, 8.5"x11" each; 1 CD, "Transform the way you do business", "Look Inside! Access to resources and information on FREE trial applications"; 1 Cutter&Buck (women's?) wallet, about 4"x9", brown, genuine leather, BlackBerry logo on front; 1 LiveStrong bracelet, USD 1, 100% synthetic silicone, "no part of this purchase is tax deductible"; 1 Lance Armstrong book "It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life", USD 24.95 - CAD 37.50, from back cover: "I want to die at a hundred years old with an American flag on my back and the star of Texas on my helmet, after screaming down an Alpine descent on a bicycle at seventy-five miles per hour..."; 1 card stapled to outside of bag "THANK YOU DISCOVER» We would like to thank you for joining us at the unveiling of the new EDGE-enabled Blackberry 8700c from Cingular Wireless. In appreciation, you will receive a new BlackBerry 8700c. A Cingular Sales executive will be contacting you soon to arrange for delivery."

-Dude

P.S. I'm writing this on the subway, please accept my apologies for any typos.
P.P.S the 8700c is grey but looks cool in person. The browsing is pretty fast - probably a combination of EDGE and a faster processor to render pages.

gregg
11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Just left myself, agree with Dude's perspective; good food, warmish beer (but decent mixed drinks), plenty of networking opportunities & not many hot women. Card attached to bag states attendees will receive a free 8700c and a Sales exec would be contacting for delivery.
Lance went on @<hidden> 8:30, good speaker, he made the parallel to BB by walking the crowd through his cancer experience. In essence the "product" he purchased then was the hospital/doctor for his care. He went on to state that this was a life lesson that made him very selective about the products he chooses. Cheryl was not in attendance although the first question was "Where's Cheryl?". Lance took a dozen or so questions from the audience. We were less than 3 feet from him on the small stage. I have pictures if anyone's interested (wife threatened me to bring Lance or, at the very least, pictures....). Let me know if you have any questions -
Good time, can't wait to get my hands on the 8700c.....

gregg
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah, Lance stated that his relationship with Cheryl started via BlackBerry. Stated while he was training the BB was the primary communication device. Also stated the Discovery racing team uses the BB in real time during the Tour with an advance team scouting out the track ahead & Pinning back to racers...

barjohn
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Too bad they are not handing them out at the event. That would really spark interest. Did they give you any idea when the sales exec would be contacting you?

gregg
11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Nope, was never mentioned by any of the presenters. Just the "simple" card stating "A Cingular Sales executive will be contacting you soon to arrange for delivery" stapled to the bag.

Definetly a disapointment...if Lance wouldn't have been there I would have left much earlier really disapointed.....

dolo
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Just got back from the event as well. Like Gregg and the dude, it's dissappoing to say the least (as far as giving a device out in hand) but the event itself was not that great either. Awkward venue and serious lack of AC and ventilation.

The venue seemed real awkward, too many bottle necks for conversing people causing un-needed congestion. The Beer tapped out at around 7:30 which was unfortunate as the vodka probably could have passed for Zelko :P of course nothing wrong with zelko...

As the dude stated, there's a voucher - and the copy around that clearly states that a 8700c would be sent out as a thank you for attending - however the question is...

Will They Send Them Free of Charge...or Require Either a New Activation or Contract Extension and/or Require a Blackberry Plan.

Everyone I asked at the event didn't seem to know.

To comment on the device, I sat down with a RIMM rep and spoke a bit about it. The device itself is pretty nice. I am pretty sure (NJBB...i've said it before) officially ready to dump my current device for this one. It is much thinner then I expected.

One thing I thought that was pretty funnny...when the execs from Intel, RIMM & Cingular spoke they all touted the 16 day standby time....

I saw that screen, I am famliar with the 7100 battery life...no way that thing is going to last 16 days!

Regards,
dolo

b00st3d
11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
any official word on when cingular will be selling these from the party???

test
11-01-2005, 11:01 PM
21st

richard371
11-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I can almost pe sure you will have to sign a contact to get it.

wesriley
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
In appreciation, you will receive a new BlackBerry 8700c. A Cingular Sales executive will be contacting you soon to arrange for delivery."

dolo, Gregg, Dude -

To get the voucher, did you really need to attend? Is there any chance that simply registering would get you on the list for the Cingular Sales executive to contact you to arrange for device delivery?

barjohn
11-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Did you sign in or check in when you arrived? If so then they probably know whether you attended.

jnelson2000
11-01-2005, 11:29 PM
In Chicago you will sign in with a photo ID and they give you a name badge. I assume the same thing for NYC and San Fran

Dude
11-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Re signing in: when I called the 800 number before the event to confirm my registration, they said that I should bring a photo ID. However, at the check-in desk, they simply asked for my name, found my pre-printed plastic badge and gave it to me - no ID required. Two of the guys that were with me did not get a chance to register on the website (procrasination). They were allowed to fill out a paper form (had to provide priority code), the clerk entered their info into his wireless laptop, and then immediately printed personalized paper badges for them. Now get this, we compared our invitation emails, and we all had the same priority code; does that mean that anyone could have registered? The story goes on: we also had two guys who pre-registered but decided not to come at the last minute - we asked for their badges just for the hell of it and... got them! That makes me think they'll get their 8700c's too.

You now have your info, don't do anything immoral.

Dude
11-02-2005, 12:08 AM

Re signing in: when I called the 800 number before the event to confirm my registration, they said that I should bring a photo ID. However, at the check-in desk, they simply asked for my name, found my pre-printed plastic badge and gave it to me - no ID required. Two of the guys that were with me did not get a chance to register on the website (procrasination). They were allowed to fill out a paper form (had to provide priority code), the clerk entered their info into his wireless laptop, and then immediately printed personalized paper badges for them. Now get this, we compared our invitation emails, and we all had the same priority code; does that mean that anyone could have registered? The story goes on: we also had two guys who pre-registered but decided not to come at the last minute - we asked for their badges just for the hell of it and... got them! That makes me think they'll get their 8700c's too.

You now have your info, don't do anything immoral.

Dude
11-02-2005, 12:14 AM

I just realized that hitting ESC after posting from a bb causes a double-post. Sorry

rjharary
11-02-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm scheduled for the SF launch. I just sort of assumed that they expected us there from 6-10 P.M.. Would someone let me know if it would be possible to just stop by for an hour or so and still learn enough about the device and qualify for the free 8700c, e.g. from 7-9 pm? S.F. is quite a drive from home, + for health reasons I can't be around that many people for that length of time. Is it like a big ****tail party or more like a training seminar?

Does anyone know what the Terra is in S.F.? Is it a hotel, restaurant, convention center, office building?
Thanks.

just show up, they logged my name and are sending me one in the mail

rjharary
11-02-2005, 02:00 AM
how do you think theyll contact us DUDE? the email address or the mailing address?

Dude
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM

I was thinking they'll call us and try to sell a plan. I just hope theyl do it before the general release.

P.S. How do you start a new thread from the blackberry?

rjharary
11-02-2005, 10:26 AM

I was thinking they'll call us and try to sell a plan. I just hope theyl do it before the general release.

P.S. How do you start a new thread from the blackberry?

I Think theyll call us but i dont need a new plan, hope they just send it, the woman at the phone number for blackberry events had no info for me, however she did say that my name appears as being present at the party so thats gotta mean somethings in the works!

I Dont even know how to post wirelessly!

Stinsonddog
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Curious

crisambo
11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Curious

There's NO VOUCHER, it was a Thank You card for attending and says that a Cingular rep will contact attendee to arrange for delivery. It'll probably be based on Registration info submitted.

For what it's worth, as my group was heading out, guy at registration table was busy inputting in his notebook info from the rolodex of attendees . . . obviously, unclaimed nametags/no shows will probably not get the contact from the Cingular rep to arrange delivery of the 8700.

richard371
11-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Hopefully they will realize most people are admins etc and already have a BB and plan/sim. Most of us just want to upgrade the unit and test etc for rolling out to users.