PDA

View Full Version : Wifi and charge to data plan

arifshahzad
03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I have a Corporate BB with data plan BES & BIS. My understanding is while browsing internet using Blackberry browser and sending/receiving email from BES while on Wifi should have no charge to data plan.
When I called my service provider, I was told that your data plan will be charged, which I did not agree. I called the 2nd time that agent told me otherwise no. no charge to data plan while using wifi.

Can someone confirm to me what is right?

buluks
03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
when using wi fi, try turn off mobile network on manage connection

dc/dc
03-27-2009, 06:27 AM
If you use WiFi, the data sent and received is not charged to your data plan.

dc/dc
03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Also, please do not post threads more than once.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/183208-wifi-charge-data-plan.html#post1334378

takeshi
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM
My understanding is while browsing internet using Blackberry browser and sending/receiving email from BES while on Wifi should have no charge to data plan.
When I called my service provider, I was told that your data plan will be charged, which I did not agree.
IIRC you need to use the Hotspot (WiFi) Browser.

arifshahzad
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
takeshi: I have only BB browser, I think IT have deleted hotspot browser, does that mean my data plan will be charged.

rambo47
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
takeshi: I have only BB browser, I think IT have deleted hotspot browser, does that mean my data plan will be charged.

Yup. If you use the BB browser it will go onto your data plan.

TheBigNewt
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
when using wi fi, try turn off mobile network on manage connection
That's a good idea. It'll tell you what route it's using.

Good question. I'd hope your IT person could answer that but I cannot.

jimbellows
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
there should be no charge

arifshahzad
03-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Yup. If you use the BB browser it will go onto your data plan.

How sure you are that it will be charged to data plan? most of them are saying no charge.

rambo47
03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
If your data plan is unlimited, then all data is included. You only pay the monthly flat fee, which for me on AT&T is $30/month. If your data plan is limited the data you use will count against your monthly allotment and overages will incur extra charges. Also, if you're on a BES they will have a record of exactly how much data you use.