PDA

View Full Version : 8820: Several questions

daiver
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi guys. I'm happy to be a part of the community. I've finally bought a Blackberry after playing around with the idea for several years. I'm coming off an N95 and still don't have any big regrets.

As a new Blackberry owner, I have a couple of questions:

1) Wi-Fi

My home wifi uses static IPs as I like to be able to know and use the computers here without having to lookup their current IPs. I also use WPA2 encryption.

I've finally managed to configure my Berry with a static IP (the option is VERY hidden), but I still can't get the browser to use that connection to browse. I downloaded Opera Mini and the same thing happens. It just won't connect. In the standby screen I get text that says my carrier's name and my home networks name, which leads me to think that I am in fact hooked up to my home wifi.

The question is: why can't I browse anything? The connection status has a yellow circle with a line in the middle.

The only thing that occurs to me is my router's encryption is not supported by my Berry. (Can't reboot the router now as I'm downloading the BB desktop software at a painful 10K/s from BB's site for some reason, so I can't test other encryptions)

2) Task manager

In my N95 I have this button that if I leave it pressed I can switch between open programs. I get the feeling that my Berry is all about one app at a time. Could this be so? If not, how can I switch around between open programs?

3) Disable PTT

I have a nasty habit of accidentally pressing the PTT button. Is there a way to disable this for good?

That's all for now :)

Thanks!!!

daiver
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Oh, one last thing. When I fire up the BB's MSN, I get a message saying that the service is not available. I'm getting all of BB's email bells and whistles on the 1st, when my data plan kicks in. Could it be related? Can't it be used via wifi?

daiver
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
So I've managed to disable the PTT button. And I've tried to connect to my home wifi unsecured network without success.

Any clues on the other questions?

winstontj
03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
do you have a WEP key? Who is Movistar?

daiver
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I have my network's wi-fi key and have already set the static IP and DNS for the connection, but it still doesn't work. If I remove all encryption from wifi and try to connect as I would connect through a buplic wifi network, it won't work either.

Movistar is a huge telecom company that is spread throughout Spain and most of Latin America. It is one of the biggest providers down here in South America.

winstontj
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
i'm a total noob to this - so it's over my head. Sorry I can't help more...

daiver
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Thank's anyway. It's the intention what counts! =)

Rdhamani
03-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Is there any coversation recorder available for BB8820?

Rdhamani
03-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Can i use BB8820 as modem to connect internet?

Rdhamani
03-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Can i synchronize using bluetooth also? (BB8820)

Rdhamani
03-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Can i use a USB webcam to connect to my BB 8820?

exile01
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Greetings Daiver,

welcome to the "migrated" folds. i had switched to the 8820 after several years on windows mobile based smart phones,
it has been a patchy experience.

not witstanding the fact that the blackberry is a fantastic email device, the point is that it leaves too many business user requirements un attended, therefore sadly, the praise surrounding the experience is quite unfounded.

that is is my personal opinion, and after giving my 8820 a good year to gel with me, i have now switched back to a win mobile device. (HTC ) Yes, windows mobile devices hang (sometimes), they are slow and have issues, but name me one blackberry owner, who doesnt have to "battery pull" their devices every few days?

wifi - per my experience you can only use wifi, when the mobile operatore services are FULLY switched off,
yes, you read it correctly, even if you switch off "data services" the wifi connection will not kick in,

you have to totally switch off your mobile connection , before either opera or the resident browser will work on wifi.

as long as the sim is active, wifi will not work.

there are other issues too, the fact that you cannot sms contacts from your address book.

the inability to edit a contact from the standard context menu, and so on,

also , be aware of the exorbitant roaming gprs charges that various operators will pass on to you.

i usually keep "data services" off while, roaming, and every 3 hours or so, turn on roaming to receive any emails, unless i am working on an urgent project, in which case, i turn on data services every hour,

best of luck,

regards,

kirrinjones
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Ok Daiver, I'm gonna try to get you some answers to your original posting.

1. If you are using the BlackBerry Browser as your default browser (check in the Browser Configuration of your Browser Options), then that browser is "smart" enough to know which connection is faster and use either WiFi or your cellular connection. I am told that in most cases the browser defaults to Internet Browser (when not on a BES). You can try changing your browser and see if that helps.

2. The BlackBerry can have as many applications open as your device memory will allow you to open (I have 9 open right now). I honestly don't remember the keyboard combo to get the application switcher activated (someone else might know) but what I have done is gone into the Options from the home screen, then Screen/Keyboard and designated one of my convenience keys (the left one on my Bold) to activate the application switcher. So now when I'm in one app, I just press that key and up pops the Application switcher and I switch to the other app (iPhone can't do that unless you upgrade to 3.0).

3. Haven't a clue, but you already figured that out so great.

Hope I helped you out.

wiscaudi
04-04-2009, 12:07 AM
2) Task manager:

Hold "Left Alt" and press the "Back" key (to the right of the trackball). Scroll left and right with the track ball while still holding "Left Alt."

I guarantee your wifi problem is related to the security being used. I had to switch around from WEP, WPA, TSIK, AES until I found the right combo. The BB is very touchy with wireless security.