PDA

View Full Version : Latest OS: 8830 4.5.0.205/4.5.0.138 (ESN devices)

JSanders
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
This will load on ANY carrier's 8830 by following the instructions below.
This is only for the 8830 model (ESN based model)
From US Cellular

Software For BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone

Software Name: BlackBerry Handheld Software v 4.5.0.205 (Multilanguage)
File Name: 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138.exe
Download Size: 82.128 MB
Language: English

Download here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D707329BECE455A462B58CE00D1194C9
(Scroll down to 8830 for ESN devices)

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 8830:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Previous OS here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/178471-latest-os-8830-4-5-0-201-4-5-0-135-multilanguage.html

How to determine if you have an ESN or MEID based device.
From the main menu, select Options, then select Status.
ESN devices - On the Status screen you will see ESN on the display
MEID devices – On the Status screen you will see MEID on the display.
NOTE – You cannot install ESN-based software on a MEID device, nor can you install MEID-based software on an ESN device. They are NOT interchangeable.

juwaack68
03-27-2009, 02:09 PM
(y)

SDCromer
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
What is ESN?

JSanders
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
At Options Status, does your device have a ESN listed?

Or a MEID #?

zavar
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Strange, the link keeps taking me to the Sprint site, which only has 4.5.0.135 available.

Raptor464
03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Strange, the link keeps taking me to the Sprint site, which only has 4.5.0.135 available.

The link you are looking for is as follows: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D707329BECE455A462B58CE00D1194C9

Janir
03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Answers to FAQs (http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Wireless%20Issues/faq_esn_meid_transition.html#item1)

ESN and MEID
ESN is the unique ID of the cell phone, but the numbers are running out. MEID isthe replacement.

scarface22
03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
i don't see the name in the list that's in the post :(

randyb19
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Has anyone installed? I'm curious to know what's changed.

PHLwok
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Nothing obvious changed that I've noticed yet.

That said, this is the first 8830 OS that has ever failed during install for me (java.lang.nullpointerexception on the device with a "Fatal error" in the loader on the PC. Had to wipe the device, install the OS and restore the data. Hopefully my experience was just a fluke, I haven't seen reports of this from others on here.

chazas
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
That said, this is the first 8830 OS that has ever failed during install for me (java.lang.nullpointerexception on the device with a "Fatal error" in the loader on the PC. Had to wipe the device, install the OS and restore the data.

Happened to me, too. It is now with my IT department and I'm embarrassed to have tried this - learned my lesson.

pr4424
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I installed it this morning with no problems....however the email reconciliation seems to be broken. I have it set to prompt me for my personal email but it never does, my only options are delete or cancel, not delete, delete on handheld, cancel (or whatever it should be).

Anybody else having this problem? If nobody is I will wipe my device and start over.

Iare Tosevite
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hmm looks like 8830 isn't dead yet. It was a long dry spell of no updates till now.

fredricksonm
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I find the link takes me to rel 201 not 205??

JSanders
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
fixed now, try again.

randyb19
03-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Nothing obvious changed that I've noticed yet.

That said, this is the first 8830 OS that has ever failed during install for me (java.lang.nullpointerexception on the device with a "Fatal error" in the loader on the PC. Had to wipe the device, install the OS and restore the data. Hopefully my experience was just a fluke, I haven't seen reports of this from others on here.

Wow! That makes me nervous about trying to load it up. I think I'll wait and see what others have to say.

Mattywalnuts
03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Engadgetmobile.com posted that Verizon will officialy release an OS upgrade for the 8830 pretty soon. Will this be any different from the US Cellular version. I'm just a little hesitant in upgrading with the US Cellular version, but I know Verizon usually blocks all the good stuff.

randyb19
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Engadgetmobile.com posted that Verizon will officialy release an OS upgrade for the 8830 pretty soon. Will this be any different from the US Cellular version. I'm just a little hesitant in upgrading with the US Cellular version, but I know Verizon usually blocks all the good stuff.

So, instead of listening to their customer base, they are just bowing to the pressure of the other providers having pushed out a 4.5 update. Stunning.

I would be hesitant, too. BUT, luckily there are plenty of people on the forum willing to be the test subjects and post their findings before I give it a whirl.

JGrauman
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Clean upgrade. Only problem i had was it left of 7 of my 3909 text messages. guess i can't complain. this os seems a little slower to me, but i've been away from my 8830 for 6 months and came straight back to this version. I love the browser, almost better than opera. Docs to go is a nice add on, just made my favorite phone even better!
edit: guess i should also say, i'm coming from 4.2

surfgrom04
04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
This will be my first nonVerizon-issued software download. I followed the link to download the software, but am not sure if I should choose "BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone" or just the "BlackBerry 8830 (TM)" option. I have an ESN 8830 from Verizon with the original software that came with the phone(4.2.2.196). Thanks for any help!

mattmcl
04-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Clean upgrade on a Sprint phone. It did knock my BES service out though, otherwise all seems good.

phantomtech
04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Upgraded last night to my Sprint 8830. No issues at all. Everything worked perfectly.

It seems to be a little better on memory management. I have about 500K more memory, and it doesn't seem to leak memory as quickly.

upthereinthesky
04-05-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm on a Verizon Wireless 8830 WorldPhone. The update took me about 35 minutes and went without a hitch. Perfect functionality. Some Changes I noticed are:
The new browser: terrific look and performance seems much faster.
Documents to go: looks cool, haven't tried it yet.
Voice Notes Recorder: don't recall seeing that before. Works well. Don't know if I can use it during a call or not.
Prestored ring tones: subtly different. Some I like better, some I wish hadn't changed. I'd have to say the sound is brighter and jazzier than VZW's built-ins.

My main motivation for taking the risk at this time was a problem sustaining a Bluetooth connection with my laptop. No change in that regard. Still won't stay connected for more than a few seconds.

Thanks for a great forum!

Bill

FF2
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
BBmaps will work with OS 4.5 on Verizon. Apparently, the call timer is gone so you can't tell how long you've been on the call.

ssoltz
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
BBmaps will work with OS 4.5 on Verizon.

Are you saying that the GPS is no longer unlocked? Do third party GPS apps work now?

Anyone know when VZ will be releasing their official release of this?

Thanks,

upthereinthesky
04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
That is affirmative!!!

BB Maps is now using the Internal GPS on my 8830! Yayyyy!

A big bonus I was not expecting. I refused to pay Verizon $10 per month for VZ Navigator.

Thanks a lot!

Bill

upthereinthesky
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
FF2: Thanks for the info. Yes, unfortunately, the call timers are absent. Even in the Call History log.

ssoltz
04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
That is affirmative!!!

A big bonus I was not expecting. I refused to pay Verizon $10 per month for VZ Navigator.
Bill

Yeah, especially since VZ Navigator doesn't use GPS at all (from what I understand) but uses cell tower triangulation instead. I would be extremely pissed if I paid the $10 and was stuck with whatever app VZ would stick me with!

Thanks for the info!

red_jude
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
So where can I get the latest OS for a 8800, seems I'm going round and round and I'm tired now, maybe try again tomorrow.

rdrum
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I just upgraded my 8830's OS and expected to see 4.5.0.205, but instead see 4.5.0.138. Is this what SHOULD have happened?

Iare Tosevite
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
205 is package version, while 138 is OS version so it's fine.

Yes, I know it's weird...

rdrum
04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
205 is package version, while 138 is OS version so it's fine.

Yes, I know it's weird...

Thanks for the confirmation - I thought I might have downloaded the wrong file or something.

TheMiz
04-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Once the system is upgraded do I need to do anything with my phone?
Do I need to reset anything etc.

rdrum
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Once the system is upgraded do I need to do anything with my phone?
Do I need to reset anything etc.

You'll find that the unit will reset itself during the upgrade process. There's a power down and power up sequence that occurs automatically. Once it's back up with your home screen, you're all set.

TheMiz
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
You'll find that the unit will reset itself during the upgrade process. There's a power down and power up sequence that occurs automatically. Once it's back up with your home screen, you're all set.

Thanks one other time when I upgraded the OS I had to resend service books etc. I didn't know if I had to go through all that again

deepakchan
04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Since you are one of the successful upgraders in this thread, I would like to ask you one question. This is the most motivating factor for me to upgrade from my existing 4.2.2 OS. Is the email layout improved? Are you able to view HTML email with embedded images loading?

mriff
04-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Since you are one of the successful upgraders in this thread, I would like to ask you one question. This is the most motivating factor for me to upgrade from my existing 4.2.2 OS. Is the email layout improved? Are you able to view HTML email with embedded images loading?
Take the plunge. There are so many reasons. But the browser and email are much better with the upgrade. HTML with embedded images load nicely. (y)

TheMiz
04-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Its worth it just for the improved HTML email.

deepakchan
04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Its worth it just for the improved HTML email.

Thank you so much both of you. These were the exact words I was looking for. I just completed the download. Praying things go well. :smile:

deepakchan
04-10-2009, 06:04 AM
My BB8830WE says App load error 5xx with an option to Reset. I clicked the trackball and the phone is restarting now. But the Loader.exe after restarting the phone said the loading was successful but some warnings were encountered when restoring apps to your device. Use Backup and Restore of BDM and restore from ..\My Documents\Backup 2009-04-10.ipd I am now doing the restore.

My device has been restored but to OS 4.2 Shall I try the whole process of upgrading to OS 4.5 all over again?

TheMiz
04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
My BB8830WE says App load error 5xx with an option to Reset. I clicked the trackball and the phone is restarting now. But the Loader.exe after restarting the phone said the loading was successful but some warnings were encountered when restoring apps to your device. Use Backup and Restore of BDM and restore from ..\My Documents\Backup 2009-04-10.ipd I am now doing the restore.

My device has been restored but to OS 4.2 Shall I try the whole process of upgrading to OS 4.5 all over again?

Was it the 507 error ?

deepakchan
04-12-2009, 01:40 AM
I tried the steps as is in the 1st post of this thread after upgrading my Desktop Software and removing the Sim Card and memory card and deleting vendor.xml file. It shows a list of apps already on my phone and allows me to remove or add any. I just keep clicking next and it just comes to Finish saying your device is updated successfully. But actually nothing has happened. Where could I be going wrong?

deepakchan
04-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Was it the 507 error ?

Something which started with 5xx. Couldn't read the rest. The text was too small for me to read. Like I should have used a magnifying glass or something to have read it.

rdrum
04-13-2009, 08:18 AM

I had an easy time of upgrading my OS and have not had any complaints as of yet. I've upgraded my OS prior to this most recent one, so I've had the improved browser and e-mail for a while now.

To answer your question: yes, you will be able to view HTML (including embedded images) within your e-mail.

Good luck with your upgrade - just follow the instructions and you should be just fine.

TheMiz
04-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Something which started with 5xx. Couldn't read the rest. The text was too small for me to read. Like I should have used a magnifying glass or something to have read it.

Well good luck with that, as I have no idea what a 5XX error could be.

TheMiz
04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I tried the steps as is in the 1st post of this thread after upgrading my Desktop Software and removing the Sim Card and memory card and deleting vendor.xml file. It shows a list of apps already on my phone and allows me to remove or add any. I just keep clicking next and it just comes to Finish saying your device is updated successfully. But actually nothing has happened. Where could I be going wrong?

Where in the first post does it say to remove the sim card and mmemory card?

Did you try this part
>> for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.<<

rdrum
04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Was it the 507 error ?

I don't know if you experienced a 507 error, which is related to an unsatisfied link dependency in a .COD file.

After your restore, I would go ahead and try the upgrade again. Recall that you will not use the Desktop Manager tool during the process and that you will need to eliminate the vendor.xml file - all in the instructions at the top of this thread.

Good luck (again)!

TheMiz
04-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't know if you experienced a 507 error, which is related to an unsatisfied link dependency in a .COD file.

After your restore, I would go ahead and try the upgrade again. Recall that you will not use the Desktop Manager tool during the process and that you will need to eliminate the vendor.xml file - all in the instructions at the top of this thread.

Good luck (again)!

No I had no problems with my upgrade, and I didn't pulll the memory card or sim.

rdrum
04-13-2009, 08:47 AM
No I had no problems with my upgrade, and I didn't pulll the memory card or sim.

Sorry, I thought I was entering a reply to deepakchan! No worries.

deepakchan
04-15-2009, 02:38 AM

Good luck (again)!

Tried with/without DM with/without vendor.xml all probable permutations & combinations. Nothing seems to work. It just comes off to the Finish page after 3 Next clicks. Do you think my download might be corrupted? Cos once it finished at 45MB, once at 52MB and the final one at 81.5MB. Should I try downloading again?

TheMiz
04-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Tried with/without DM with/without vendor.xml all probable permutations & combinations. Nothing seems to work. It just comes off to the Finish page after 3 Next clicks. Do you think my download might be corrupted? Cos once it finished at 45MB, once at 52MB and the final one at 81.5MB. Should I try downloading again?

You did download the ESN version and NOT one for the MEID devices?

TheMiz
04-15-2009, 07:56 AM

What version of DM are you using , you can't use the current version you need to uses one that is older, I can't think of it off the top of my head.

You can't load it direct to your phone it has to be through the DM and a PC
if you are trying to use a Mac that won't work either.

I would download it again make sure it is for the 8830 and not the 8330

Centurion8888
04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
I upgraded from 4.2. Everything went ok and seems to work, but have following problem/questions:

1. The preloaded wall paper disappeared. Not a big problem, but there are some I like to use. Any easy way to get it back. I remember that earlier versions had some problems, but nobody reported it with this version.

2. I am on VZW. I thought GPS was suppose to work with BB Maps with this version. It says GPS Data Source is Device GPS, but does not seem to work with BB Maps. Do I need to do something to turn it on.

3. I cannot find Docs to Go. Do I need to do something to turn it on?

I did do a search, but could not find any help. Any assistance would be appreciated.

TheMiz
04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I upgraded from 4.2. Everything went ok and seems to work, but have following problem/questions:

1. The preloaded wall paper disappeared. Not a big problem, but there are some I like to use. Any easy way to get it back. I remember that earlier versions had some problems, but nobody reported it with this version.

2. I am on VZW. I thought GPS was suppose to work with BB Maps with this version. It says GPS Data Source is Device GPS, but does not seem to work with BB Maps. Do I need to do something to turn it on.

3. I cannot find Docs to Go. Do I need to do something to turn it on?

I did do a search, but could not find any help. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Can you get the GPS to work at all ? Like with Google Maps .

Did you check the box on the DM to load the Docs to Go ?

Centurion8888
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I got GPS to work, it was set on 911 only instead of Location On.

I don't know if I checked the block for Docs to Go or not. Can I just run app loader again and see? I tried to check with DM, but it said what was on the device was newer than what was on computer. I used the app loader exe to upgrade, not DM.

Centurion8888
04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Can you get the GPS to work at all ? Like with Google Maps .

Did you check the box on the DM to load the Docs to Go ?

Thanks, I got everything working. I did not check the box for Docs to Go or turn on GPS.

Does anybody know if the wallpaper was left out of this version or did I lose something?

leiterch
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Anybody having problems downloading from the RIM site. It keeps hanging and booting me out? Any thoughts? I am still on 4.2 and am dying for an upgrade.

RichardMiami
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
I just got 4.5.0.138 for my VZ 8830 from RIM - process went super smooth, no issues at all. Total time less than 30 minutes and all functions seem to work great. :D

bcreekski
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I just got 4.5.0.138 for my VZ 8830 from RIM - process went super smooth, no issues at all. Total time less than 30 minutes and all functions seem to work great. :D

Did it require deleting the vendor.xml file?

rdrum
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks, I got everything working. I did not check the box for Docs to Go or turn on GPS.

Does anybody know if the wallpaper was left out of this version or did I lose something?

You're not losing your mind. The default wallpapers are not loaded with this version.

snappy316
04-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Did you get it from the RIM Online Update site? I saw that, and was wondering what version it actually gives us...should I do that version, or the 4.5.0.138 beta?

RichardMiami
04-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Did you get it from the RIM Online Update site? I saw that, and was wondering what version it actually gives us...should I do that version, or the 4.5.0.138 beta?

Got it from RIM. I got the email on Thursday night and did the upgrade on Friday morning. Why do the Beta when you can have the final? ;-)

Centurion8888
04-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Got it from RIM. I got the email on Thursday night and did the upgrade on Friday morning. Why do the Beta when you can have the final? ;-)

What do you mean beta? The 4.5.0.138 that this thread starts with is from US Cellular.

Does anyone know if the official 4.5.0.138 from Verizon is any different from the one from US Cellular?

surfgrom04
04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
What do you mean beta? The 4.5.0.138 that this thread starts with is from US Cellular.

Does anyone know if the official 4.5.0.138 from Verizon is any different from the one from US Cellular?

I'm slightly confused--has Verizon released an official software update for the 8830? I just checked on their website, and there doesn't seem to be a new version to download? Can anyone clarify this/provide a link to the Verizon download? Thanks!

Centurion8888
04-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm slightly confused--has Verizon released an official software update for the 8830? I just checked on their website, and there doesn't seem to be a new version to download? Can anyone clarify this/provide a link to the Verizon download? Thanks!

I am slightly confused also. Apparently there is a Verizon update on the RIM site through their automatic updater, but it is not yet on the Verizon site. Maybe someone else can clarify.

bcreekski
04-18-2009, 11:18 AM

No, there is as yet no official software update from VZW for the 8830.

hkipod
04-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I upgraded my 8830 to 4.5.0.138 but Documents to go was not included; is this a Verizon thing? (ANd it's not on the application list, so it's no use using the App loader).

Centurion8888
04-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I upgraded my 8830 to 4.5.0.138 but Documents to go was not included; is this a Verizon thing? (ANd it's not on the application list, so it's no use using the App loader).

Where did you download it from? I downloaded from the link on this thread and it was there.

p_smith
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I successfully installed the new OS update but now my email doesn't work. I received an email from Blackberry saying I need to update the password for my_email_address_at_verizon.net in the Blackberry Internet Service by clicking on the Email Settings icon.

I do this and try to make a new account but get this error message: "Cannot create account: An account already exists for this Blackberry device."

So then I click on "Forget Password?" and it says the password was successfully sent to my Blackberry. But it never shows up.

Any ideas? Thanks.

hkipod
04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
I downloaded it from a link Blackberry sent me (so I shouldn't blame Verizon). I'll try this download and see.

Re email, I got the same notice as the previous poster; you shouldn't need to create a new account. I downloaded the service books and the old account worked fine.

TheMiz
04-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I downloaded it from a link Blackberry sent me (so I shouldn't blame Verizon). I'll try this download and see.

Re email, I got the same notice as the previous poster; you shouldn't need to create a new account. I downloaded the service books and the old account worked fine.

No you do not need to creat a new account.
You need to RESEND your service books and not download them.
I believe pulling the battery for a couple minutes will work too as it resends them.

When I upgraded I didn't have phone service and I didn't know what to do, I called my number from my home line and once it rang I had complete service.

manishmgupta
04-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Greetings, Verizon has launched 4.5.0.138 for Verizon 8830

jsconyers
04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
This will also work of the Verizon 8830. They are the same OS.

Phuongcv
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
8830AMEA_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138_Verizon_Wireless.exe (http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB8830/8830AMEA_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138_Verizon_Wireless.exe)

naraiz
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Is there a significant difference between v4.5.0.135 and v4.5.0.138? I'm going to venture a guess and say probably not. But I don't know for sure. Thanks in advance.

Centurion8888
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
This will also work of the Verizon 8830. They are the same OS.

I understand they are the same OS. But do different carriers turn on and/or turn off different functions?

rdrum
04-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I understand they are the same OS. But do different carriers turn on and/or turn off different functions?

Yes, carriers can (and do, from time to time) make changes to OS features to meet their particular needs or desires. For example, when I first got my Verizon 8830, they had disabled the GPS and the speaker volume was dreadfully low. I'm sure there were other things they had messed with, but these were the two that I noticed right away.

Both of the concernes I listed above were resolved when I upgraded my 8830 OS to a higher version offered through another carrier. The current VZW upgrade to 4.5.0.138 is, as far as I can tell, no different than the one at the top of this thread.

DennisLocke
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I've been watching the BlackberryNews site and never saw any mention that Verizon had actually released 4.5 for the 8830. You can imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I discovered it a little while ago. Since it's been so long coming I would have expected a little more fanfare. :-)

naraiz
04-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I appreciate the feedback to my question. I am completely satisfied with the OS I have now. Everything is working great and I just don't feel like reloading apps and going through all that for a feature I might not even have or use. Thank you again.

digit323
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
That is affirmative!!!

Thanks a lot!

Bill

Bill: Please clarify the following for me.

I upgraded to VZW official 4.5.0.138. Will that VZW version use the built-in GPS, or does the VZW version still block the GPS?

If answer to above is that VZW version still blocks the GPS, what release did you install to unlock the built-in GPS? (A link to EXE would be most appreciated.)

Mil gracias.

jsconyers
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Bill: Please clarify the following for me.

I upgraded to VZW official 4.5.0.138. Will that VZW version use the built-in GPS, or does the VZW version still block the GPS?

If answer to above is that VZW version still blocks the GPS, what release did you install to unlock the built-in GPS? (A link to EXE would be most appreciated.)

Mil gracias.

It allows you to use the internal GPS with BB Maps only. It will not work with any other 3rd party GPS applications AFAIK.

digit323
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
It allows you to use the internal GPS with BB Maps only. It will not work with any other 3rd party GPS applications AFAIK.

OK, I'll try that out. (I had removed BBmaps to save space and since I like gMaps for BB better.)

Do you or anybody know if a non-VZW release of 4.5.x.xxx would allow gMaps for BB to use the built-in GPS? If so, please advise.

Dawg
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
no it will not digit.

digit323
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
no it will not digit.

Thanks.

ssoltz
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Now that is useful information. If I would have discovered that myself, I would have been p'd off big time...

Centurion8888
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
When I installed this OS I did not install the following:
Blackberry MDS Runtime
Blackberry MDS Default Launcher
Blackberry S/MIME Support
DOD Root Certificate

Can anyone tell me what they are and if I shud install them. Everything seems to be working OK. Thanks.

SteveO86
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
When I installed this OS I did not install the following:
Blackberry MDS Runtime
Blackberry MDS Default Launcher
Blackberry S/MIME Support
DOD Root Certificate

Can anyone tell me what they are and if I shud install them. Everything seems to be working OK. Thanks.

Search and you find the answer..

MDS Runtime is if you are on a BES for customer apps, or to use the company network, MDS Default Launcher also only applies if you are on a BES.

S/MIME only works on a BES and is for encrypted messages.

DOD Root Cert, are digital certificates... Probably not needed for personal use.

Knocks
04-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Do not use this version if you have Sprint. I upgraded and my phone does not display the length of the call anymore. Why sticky something that hasn't been tested with all providers? Now I have to waste another hour to downgrade. :-(

jsconyers
04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
What do you mean?

How does it not show the length of your calls? I am using this OS on a Sprint 8330 and I do not have this issue.

Knocks
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
There is no timer on the screen after the upgrade. That place is blank.

jsconyers
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
My apologies. I thought this was the 8330 thread. It's the 8830 thread. I hardly ever look at that screen to begin with. I wouldn't have noticed until someone brought it to my attention.

pr4424
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I am currently running the prerelease of .138 OS on my VZW 8830. Should I upgrade/update to the Verizon .138 OS or is it the exact same thing?

jsconyers
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
It's the exact same OS.

TreeDude
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Anyone else been having to reset their device a lot with 4.5? I think it has a memory leak or one of my apps do. I have the following loaded:

App World
Viigo
Facebook
AIM
Docs to Go

I have the latest versions of all of them. I do have a lot of feed in Viigo, but it never gave me any trouble on 4.2.2. Any ideas?

jsconyers
05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Are you leaving the apps running or closing them when not in use? I would think Facebook is the main culprit.

JGrauman
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Anyone else been having to reset their device a lot with 4.5? I think it has a memory leak or one of my apps do. I have the following loaded:

App World
Viigo
Facebook
AIM
Docs to Go

I have the latest versions of all of them. I do have a lot of feed in Viigo, but it never gave me any trouble on 4.2.2. Any ideas? i reset daily. 18mbs in the morning 12 at night, sometimes goes even lower. NO, i have nothing running in the background. i use the phone with the same apps as i did with 4.2 in the same way. i used to have 21mb free with 4.2 as well.

jnjewlz
05-16-2009, 03:04 PM
My 8830 has serious memory dump issues. It's been getting progressively worse. I tried all types of dumps and deletion of all apps but it still seems part of the issue. Can this version be any worse? I'm going to give the upgrade a shot. I'll let ya know.

jnjewlz
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Wirelessly posted

Wow. Do it. I have my memory back! It's feels lighter and quicker. I'll put it through some more paces but so far very good!

jnjewlz
05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
This is a great update. I'm truly enjoying the BB again. NO RESETS and NO MEMORY LEAKS and it's day three.

veks
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
just upgraded my os. everything went smooth. i have 16mb of mem from 3-6mb i had since my phone swapped out. will let you guys know if i encounter any problems in the next few days

jjmach
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm just upgrading to 4.5.0.160 from Telus Mobility. They have this version for Curve and the 8830 WE

Regards

gfish
05-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I upgraded to the newer os for Verizon 8830, but since upgrading signal keeps changing from 1X to 1x to 1XEV, which causes email to not always download in a timely manner. So, I guess if there are no solutions then I need to roll back to Verizon 4.2.2.196. The problem is I don't see it on Verizon's website anymore. How can find that software so I can rollback. Thanks!

agudodan
05-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Since upgrading to the new OS for my BB 8830, it hangs up whenever an email is coming in, which often last a few minutes. It's unacceptably slow now, and much less useful, though I like the new appearance and fonts better than before.
What can I do? I reboot several times/day, which helpf momentarily, but each time takes about 5 minutes, a real pain.
Help!
Dan:-(

clive48
06-07-2009, 12:38 AM
8830AMEA_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138_Verizon_Wireless.exe (http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB8830/8830AMEA_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138_Verizon_Wireless.exe)

Hi
Can u pl post direct link for Tata 8830 OS 4.5??
8830AMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel177_PL3.4.0.20_A4.5.0.127_Tata_Teleservices_Ltd.exe
BB Site gets disconnected for me due to poor net connection.
DIrect link wil help me using a downloader
Thanks in adv

clive48
06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
i reset daily. 18mbs in the morning 12 at night, sometimes goes even lower. NO, i have nothing running in the background. i use the phone with the same apps as i did with 4.2 in the same way. i used to have 21mb free with 4.2 as well.

I agree.. I faced similar problem with 8830 Sprint4.5 OS upgrade. I had to switch back to 4.2 which is stable