PDA

View Full Version : No Laptop Modem according to PC Mag

Stinsonddog
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1880155,00.asp

barjohn
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Not very encouraging in their review.

We were glad to see that the phone is quad-band, which gives the best possible international roaming experience. But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

"When the audio wasn't dropping out, it was sharp with a strong high-pitched or shrill quality. But there's one big phone feature missing: voice dialing (what do the folks at RIM have against this feature?).We were able to pair the Blackberry with a Logitech Bluetooth headset easily, though...

The built-in BlackBerry browser still mangles tables and chokes on some JavaScript (forget about booking flights through Expedia or Travelocity) but most pages, including those of CNN and PCMag.com, are readable.

Those with gigantic digits have always loved the widely spaced keys of the traditional BlackBerrys, so they're unlikely to want the 8700c. Unfortunately for them, the 8700c's keys are tighter than the ones on models like the 7290. Likewise, bifocal-wearers, who have enjoyed the extremely large screens on some BlackBerrys (even pumping up the font size to save their tired eyes), may not jump. Although the screen is tremendously sharp, it's a little smaller than on models like the 7730, 7750, and 7780. Beyond these users, we suspect pretty much everyone will want to upgrade as soon as they see the 8700c screen. (PC Mag Review)"

Also in the press conference they said you would be able to use it as a modem and PC Mag says you can't.

paulmorley
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
barjohn, they are wrong. I have close ties with Cingular and they are going to introduce a teathered modem plan at some point soon. This WILL happen. Not to worry. I assume that unlimited data will go down a bit and then you will add on the teathered modem plan. Plus push to talk is coming soon.

Stinsonddog
11-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Those would be nice. Only time will tell.

AlbertoM
11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
John, I think they had more good to say than bad....

barjohn
11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes, but one of the key issues we have complained about is the poor phone performance and in yesterdays news conference they raved about how improved the phone side of the device was so to see PC MAg claim otherwise is dissapointing.

blkberryboy
11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Ya know sometimes in the mfg. process a defect may come thru. Lets hope the phone thing only lasts for the first few runs in the production cycle. Maybe the reviewer had some short term issues and with a longer test peroid he may have felt better.

Until they are avail to the public at large, I will reserve my opinion till then.

test
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
barjohn, they are wrong. I have close ties with Cingular and they are going to introduce a teathered modem plan at some point soon. This WILL happen. Not to worry. I assume that unlimited data will go down a bit and then you will add on the teathered modem plan. Plus push to talk is coming soon.

huh? how could they do that? your already paying for unlimited data...what does it matter if your plugging it into your laptop and using that screen or using the bb's screen?