PDA

View Full Version : Found Cingular 7100G.. resell on eBay?

toowired
11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey there.. This may sound like a weird story, but here goes:

Someone left a Cingular Blackberry 7100G on top of my car while it was parked near my apt. When I turned it on, it had the name of the customer, but was locked with a password. I called Cingular and they said they would notify the customer and I left my number. This was over two weeks ago. SInce they have not responded, can I sell this on eBay? How can I remove the password and reset the Blackberry to factory settings and erase all the data? The Cinguler rep confirmed that the phone was reported lost, but maybe she pulled that up from the SIM card # I gave her... If I sell it on eBay, will the IMEI number still be attached to the old customer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

penguin3107
11-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey there.. This may sound like a weird story, but here goes:

Someone left a Cingular Blackberry 7100G on top of my car while it was parked near my apt. When I turned it on, it had the name of the customer, but was locked with a password. I called Cingular and they said they would notify the customer and I left my number. This was over two weeks ago. SInce they have not responded, can I sell this on eBay? How can I remove the password and reset the Blackberry to factory settings and erase all the data? The Cinguler rep confirmed that the phone was reported lost, but maybe she pulled that up from the SIM card # I gave her... If I sell it on eBay, will the IMEI number still be attached to the old customer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

You're an asshole, Steve.
Do the right thing and turn it into your local police station.
Trying to make a profit off of it just makes you a scumbag.

KonTiki
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Just bring it to a Cingular dealer, they can take care of it from there. If the phone was reported as lost it is useless because it will show up as such when you try to activate it. If you sell it to someone you will be responsible when they cannot activate it and they will be after you at that point, so in my book that be tantamount to fraud.

dc/dc
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Great post Steve. You train of thought is something a highschooler would have devised. Be a real man and turn the device into Cingular.

finch
11-02-2005, 08:21 PM
I always question the "I found" or "lost" BB threads and alway say the same, what would you wish for if it was yours? Of course, someone to return it to a local dealer. Do the right thing and find a local Cingular dealer in your area and hand it in, let the trace be there issue. The unit Itself is useless as it is to you or anyone else.

AlbertoM
11-02-2005, 08:47 PM
You're an asshole, Steve.
Do the right thing and turn it into your local police station.
Trying to make a profit off of it just makes you a scumbag.
That would be too strong a word for poor Steve.

Nah, fits him just right.

jnyost
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
What if Cingular doesn't find the owner? Should they be allowed to keep the phone?

jibi
11-03-2005, 04:46 AM
taking it to a local dealer or the police department does nothing in the situation. the handheld will NOT make it back to the correct owner. wipe the thing and resell it as planned.

NJBlackBerry
11-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Wrong. If it has been reported to Cingular, they will ban the IMEI from their network and it will not work. So you will be selling a brick.

jrsmooth
11-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Wrong. If it has been reported to Cingular, they will ban the IMEI from their network and it will not work. So you will be selling a brick.

This is totally untrue. Cingular, or any GSM operator in the US, does not use a black list to block IMEI, they do, certainly however, block the SIM.

Steve, regardless what you going to do, I think what the owner worried about is not about the device, but the what's inside the device, so please go ahead and enter the password wrong 10 times, doing this will wipe the device clean and default it back to its original settings.

Sell it, keep it or turn it in, it is your call, Steve.