PDA

View Full Version : Cingular 7100g Spelling: When will it be Better?

BerryMan101
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I find using the 7100 from Cingular very frustrating. It just mispells too many words. I am a heavy user/typer. The only way I found to go from the 7290 -- which I loved as a typing instrument but hated as a phone -- to the 7100 is to ignore the actual letter you are trying to type on the key and hope the spelling software gets it right...that way, you can type reasonably fast.

But, IMO, it just makes too many mistakes. "if" is frequently "uf". Is there a new release of the software that is better and that learns from your most popular uses and anticpates more accurately?

Also, the browser seems slow. I was at a game recently and my brother was getting score updates on his Sprint phone so quickly while my access to scores/updates was VERY slow.

Any expert advice?

jontalotta
11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
"I find using the 7100 from Cingular very frustrating. It just mispells too many words. I am a heavy user/typer. The only way I found to go from the 7290 -- which I loved as a typing instrument but hated as a phone -- to the 7100 is to ignore the actual letter you are trying to type on the key and hope the spelling software gets it right...that way, you can type reasonably fast."

I use a 7100g, after having a 7280 for more than one year. You'll never type as fast. I actually can hit the keys faster on the 7100g, because there are fewer and closer together, but I constantly overload the buffer and get an error message on the 7100g. It's a compromise device....smaller form factor, reduced functionality.

"But, IMO, it just makes too many mistakes. "if" is frequently "uf". Is there a new release of the software that is better and that learns from your most popular uses and anticpates more accurately?"

You might want to edit the user dictionary. It stores words and uses them as the default for the same keystroke sequence thereafter. If you clear out the mistakes you've made in the past, and type the word correctly the next time, it should reduce your problems here. Although, some shorter words never seem to come out right.

"Also, the browser seems slow. I was at a game recently and my brother was getting score updates on his Sprint phone so quickly while my access to scores/updates was VERY slow."

Not sure what to say here. I am on Cingular too, but my browser seems pretty fast. Have been in similar situations where others were browsing, and didn't notice that mine worked relatively slower than their devices.

JT

Quake97
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Maybe you aren't letting Suretype have enough letters to guess the word your typing. I notice that you have to trust it a little more. If the word is 7 letters, it might have it wrong at three or four letters, but it gets it once you add more.

As for the browser speeds, Sprint 1xRTT network is a hell of a lot faster than GPRS on T-Mobile. That's why the updates are faster on your friends phone.

Joe