PDA

View Full Version : App World

-EOS-
04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Thoughts from the BES Admins on APP World?

I've been playing around with it for a little bit now and thinks it's pretty slick!

RadHaz75
04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
is there a way to filter by price (read: FREE)?

that is my biggest gripe with it thus far.

-EOS-
04-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Not that I can figure out.

I searched for the word "free", and most of the Apps in the list were free.

RadHaz75
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
ya same. is it supposed to be like the apple store where people can create stuff and then get paid? or is it more just existing vendors?

-EOS-
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
From what I've read, they are going for same thing as the apple store, people/developers creating APPs and getting paid for it.

sniffs
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Is the "Disallow Application Center" used to disable the app world?

SteveO86
04-04-2009, 10:52 AM
BlackBerry App World IT Policy Import:

View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB17809&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&dialogID=66312533&stateId=wrong)

And the IT Policy Rules

View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB17660&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&dialogID=66312533&stateId=wrong)

bulletooth
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Any clue if I still need to import these definitions into BES 5.0 or is this definced somewhere else?

penguin3107
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
In BES 5:

IT Policy > Security > Disable BlackBerry App World = Yes/No

bulletooth
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
In BES 5:

IT Policy > Security > Disable BlackBerry App World = Yes/No

I don't have this setting in my BES 5.0 install.

My upgrade method is to install 5.0 on new server & create new DB- then use the transport tool.

On my 5.0 BES w/ new DB there is no Disable Blackberry App world in Security section.

Did you upgrade your old DB that had the definitions or reimport them at some point?

bulletooth
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I've checked through all the IT policy sections on a fresh 5.0 install and do NOT see the Disable App world Setting.

I see Disable Application Center setting in Application Center but I think this is for MDSS stuff

bulletooth
09-18-2009, 12:14 PM
bump....

I do not see a disable app world option in BES 5 > Security IT Policy section

Do I have to import the Policy rules even though this is bES 5.0?

penguin3107
09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
bump....

I do not see a disable app world option in BES 5 > Security IT Policy section

Do I have to import the Policy rules even though this is bES 5.0?

It's there in the fresh install of BES 5 as well as an upgrade from BES 4.1.
No additional import is necessary.

Make sure your policy is in EDIT mode. (Screenshot 1)
Under security tab, it's the last policy setting in the list. Scroll all the way down. (Screenshot 2)

MarshBklyn
09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
hey penguin, I also don't have that option in the security section of my it policies on all 3 of my 5.0 installs. All though, i have used the same installation files for all 3 installs so i didnt expect one to have it and not another. Any thoughts why?

penguin3107
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
hey penguin, I also don't have that option in the security section of my it policies on all 3 of my 5.0 installs. All though, i have used the same installation files for all 3 installs so i didnt expect one to have it and not another. Any thoughts why?

No idea why.
I'd put in a call to T-Support.

bulletooth
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Penguin,

Did you update a db that contained the IT Policy definitions from a 41 install?

Even on a fresh 50 install, pointing to an existing DB or restoring a db from backup would have the app world policy stuff already.

New 50 install with new db does NOT have that policy.

Placing a call something this afternoon.

MarshBklyn
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
okay seems i opened a can of worms on this one. did some more investigating on this issue. I can confirm is it NOT there on a freshly created 5.0 database. There is a KB article on how to import it here:
View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB17809)

Anyway, I did the method 2 for the BES version 4.1 or later (still nothing specific stating 5.0) and I get this output:

C:\temp\ITPolicyPackAppWorld>loadbesmetadata -i itpolicytemplateappworld.xml
Reading input file 'itpolicytemplateappworld.xml'. Please wait...
Parsing ITPolicy XML document for Default language data.
ERROR: Database version unavailable or unsupported by this tool. Aborting.

this is a remote sql2005. certainly no problems with the database so as yoda would say "a very useless error message this is."

Bulletooth, let us know what t-support says. thanks.

bulletooth
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Here is the fix:

In the BAS, Select "Manage IT policy rules"

Import the .xml there.

I kept trying this under "Manage IT Policies"

DUH!

Even the guys at RIM couldn't figure this out.

It's still being entered as a feature request b/c this should be there already. It shouldn't be something that has to be imported into NEW software....

*******IGNORE BELOW*********
RIM support acknowledged that the block appworld policy definition is NOT part of a 5.0 fresh install.

No solution as of now- my support rep. is now creating a feature request ticket for this to be added.

Workaround:

1. settle with the block third party app rule to block users from downloading app world.

2. create a software config control policy to allow what I need and block everything else.

MarshBklyn
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Here is the fix:

In the BAS, Select "Manage IT policy rules"

Import the .xml there.

Worked like a charm!
In addition to future feature request, they should have a KB article for this specifically for 5.0 instead of the generic "4.1 or later..".

bulletooth
09-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Worked like a charm!
In addition to future feature request, they should have a KB article for this specifically for 5.0 instead of the generic "4.1 or later..".

I concur- there are too many differences for the generic 4.1 and later statement. That works in terms of speaking on compatibility but for support doumentation, they really do need a 5.0 section for most of the issues.