PDA

View Full Version : Status: Recieving the "Launch" 8700c

Dude
11-02-2005, 06:16 PM
The purpose of this thread is to share the progress of the 8700c receipt by those who attended one of the Launch Events. Please post here as soon as you receive any communication from the Cingular Sales Executives.

The poll that's included with this thread is intended to be a quick indicator of our progress. Only vote on it once you have received a communication from Cingular and/or after you have recieved the device.

EDIT: if you simply wish to view the results of the poll, please click "View Poll Results" - do not use the Vote button.
The "Cingular has contacted me..." option means that Cingular has contacted you *after* you have attented a Launch Event.

Personal Update: I went to the NYC Launch Event on Nov 1. Nothing to report today :)

For background info see: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=18313

FKI
11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Anyone?

dolo
11-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for putting this together dude.

I was just logging on now to do the exact thing. I also attended the NYC event, nothing.
I read somewhere in another thread/forum that blackberries should be in hand the week prior to the 21st.

Not confirming any facts.

Regards,
dolo

Robo
11-05-2005, 02:49 AM
All the cool kids already have them :-P

dolo
11-05-2005, 01:32 PM
For those that have received contact from Cingular, please share the discussion.
was it:
1) address confirmation to have your device sent, no questions asked?
2) confirmation and an effor to upsell services, ultimately the device still being free with no commitment?
3) Free only with commitment, contract extension or BB add on plan?

Regards,
dolo

Dude
11-06-2005, 02:43 PM
As of this moment, we have 3 users indicating that they have been contacted by Cingular, and one indicating receipt of 8700c. Unfortunately, I have confirmation that at least one of the "contact" votes was entered inadvertently; I suspect the same for all others.

I would be very happy to be wrong, so please post and share your experiences. If your vote was indeed incorrectly entered, PM me so I don't get unnecessarily jealous. ;-)

rjharary
11-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I didn't even get a call, did you dude? PM me if you can.

kd78
11-07-2005, 12:01 AM
How about adding another option on the poll:
"have not heard from my cingular/rim rep"

Scooters
11-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't think that you can add that choice to the poll.

Folks who answer the poll with a "negative" on Monday, hear from Cingular on Wednesday and get their unit on Friday, will skew the poll information.

Dude
11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Folks who answer the poll with a "negative" on Monday, hear from Cingular on Wednesday and get their unit on Friday, will skew the poll information.

Skewing shouldn't be a problem. I made the poll a "multiple selection". In the end, if everyone follows up with status updates, the number of "contacts" will be equal to the number of "receipts".

-Dude

blkberryboy
11-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, I have confirmation that at least one of the "contact" votes was entered inadvertently; I suspect the same for all others.

I think it was me and yes inadvertant, a fat finger error.

gBerry
11-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I second the motion to add another option to the poll.
At least this way us jealous ones, can feel comfortable in the knowledge that we are not alone...

crisambo
11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I received email this morning from rep inquiring if I'm available tomorrow so he can personally deliver the 8700c. Obviously, I replied, yes. I didn't go into details.... I'll just have to hear what he has to say and report back after.

Stinsonddog
11-07-2005, 10:53 AM
that got you the invite or just someone local to where you are?

Dude
11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Just got a call at work! Didn't recognize the number on caller ID and got really excited!! Didn't recongnize the voice on the other end, got even more excited!!! The call was from a vendor, promising to stop by this week and drop off a ... mug. At least all that excitement didn't go to complete waste :)

P.S. If anyone knows how to add options to an existing poll, I will gladly do so.

rjharary
11-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I hope it's a Cingular mug! I cant stand the wait any longer.

Scooters
11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I'll bet the mug has the standard Cingular logo, the signal strength meter, and the following: "I went to the 8700 Rollout Reception and all I got was this durn mug!"

Be patient, the 8700s will be here soon!

Dude
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Scooters, I wish it was a Cingular mug, but it's going to be some random vendor mug.

All, by popular demand, and with jibi's assistance, we now have two more options on the poll:
1. I have not attended a Launch Event (so nobody feels left out)
2. I have attended a Launch Event but have not yet been contacted.

The options are not in logical order due to the addition, so read them all before making your selections (brings back test memories, doesn't it :) )

P.S. It felt good to vote :)

Mlwii
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm curious to know if Cingular is contacting attendees of all launch events at the same time (one list of all attendees that they are working from?) or if they are focusing on each city one at a time. Those that have been contacted, what launch event did you attend?

Scooters
11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Let's think about it.... If they had the same national crew doing 3 major events on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; they would have traveled home on Friday. I'm sure that they didn't get much rest during the week before the event. Soooooo they probably are just now getting back to the office, having a staff meeting, compling their data, etc.

It isn't surprising that you haven't heard from them.

rjharary
11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Good point Scooters, Dude, are the old "error" votes deleted? if so, then somebody has declared that they have recieved it.

AlbertoM
11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Not to mention, how long before you vote? Say I vote not contacted day before yesterday, yesterday, today and tomorrow, then day after tomorrow I am contacted. Forgive me, but this is a rather meaningless poll.... :oops:

rjharary
11-07-2005, 03:16 PM
meaningless or not, I love to vote so keep em coming!

rjharary
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
OK, I called the registration hotline because I am an impatient Bastard. The guy on the phone said nobody will contact us, we will just get it in the mail. do i believe it? Absolutely not! but what can we do?

AlbertoM
11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
meaningless or not, I love to vote so keep em coming!
Good a reason as any!! (y)

richard371
11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
my rep will be contacting me in 2 weeks.

AlbertoM
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
OK, I called the registration hotline because I am an impatient Bastard. The guy on the phone said nobody will contact us, we will just get it in the mail. do i believe it? Absolutely not! but what can we do?
This thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=18667) says that they will be available to ship out to customers on November 14. Cing says November 21, but that could be an "in store" date. That means one week. One long week. One long, long week.

Patience, my young padawan, patience.....use the Force...

b00st3d
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
i almost wish i didnt know about the 8700! its so hard waiting for it to come out!

jnelson2000
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay, first off let me say that I won't/cannot give up my source, but it is from a Cingular executive that was at the Chicago Launch event.

The hope of Kent Mathy and Cingular was to have the device into our hands as early as possible. However, the production schedule has shifted and the device will most likely be sent to us around the same time as the launch of 11/21/05.

Okay the good news. Activation of current service is not going to be required for delivery of the 8700C. What I was told is that "your" Sales Rep will contact you prior to delivery. If you don't have a sales rep, they will most likely just mail the unit to the address listed in the database for the launch. After receipt, just take it to a store and ask for service. It will be that simple.

B2B is taking pre-orders for the device now. I confirmed this tonight. However, the ship date will be 11/21/05.

So, realistically, do not expect a call from Cingular until the week of 11/14, since the device will not be in the channel until that week.

barjohn
11-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Okay, first off let me say that I will/cannot give up my source, but it is from a Cingular executive that was at the Chicago Launch event.

Does this mean you will give up your source or you cannot give up your source?:smile:

jnelson2000
11-07-2005, 10:03 PM
ooops, happy now ;-)

cbotd
11-07-2005, 10:07 PM
If you can wait a few months and don't mind posting some useful info you have a chance to get one free here.

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryforums/showthread.php?t=426

Not a bad deal for something most of us do in our spare time already.

Dude
11-09-2005, 11:01 AM
So it's been over a week since the NYC event. Still no word from Cingular. And I was so hoping to test the 8700c overseas. Plus there are rumours of the early models being unlocked, so that would have been really cool. Any advice on using the Blackberry abroad?

bperkins
11-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Dude If using Cingular service be sure to add International Roaming to your account before traveling. And if you travel abroad quite frequently, they offer a $69.99 ($64 with voice) BlackBerry International plan (Link) (http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/AffordablePackagesfortheWorld#BLACK) that includes unlimited email and your calling rates can be found here (http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/roaming_gen).

I highly recommed the International BB plan. Earlier this year I traveled to the Caymans and when I returned I was smacked with a huge data bill.

redx
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I received a call from my new Cingular rep today. He was mainly "following up on leads" and was interested to see if there was anything that he could help with. He also plugged the 8700 briefly when I mentioned we are primarily a Blackberry account for them. When I mentioned that I was at the launch event in NYC and was supposed to receive a free 8700 for attending, he was surprised that they were offering free ones.

I don't think he was calling based on a lead received from the Blackberry event, I think the timing really was a coincidence. However, I am a bit concerned that a corporate account manager knows nothing of these free models when they're supposedly the ones that will be handling this.

Something else that I found funny, although unrelated. He offered $25 per line that we move from Blue to Orange (we're originally an AT&T account). When I pressed him on this to understand what the impact would be to end users (SIM swap, etc.) he said that this $25 was to reimburse us for the cost to use an unlocking service that we find on Google in order to continue using our current handsets. There has to be an easier way.

bugsy
11-09-2005, 12:50 PM
jnelson2000.......you mentioned in your post that you confirmed Cingular was taking pre-orders. Do you have number to call. I've called the business support line and they don't seem to have any information on placing pre-orders. Thanks in advance for any help.

jnelson2000
11-09-2005, 01:05 PM
call the b2b number. They will tell you that they will call you when they are available. Not truly a "pre-order", but they will promise to contact you as soon as they can enter orders.

I see the yellow sticky notes posted up on monitor's everywhere.

rjharary
11-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I cant wait anymore I've had it!

Dude
11-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Dude If using Cingular service be sure to add International Roaming to your account before traveling. And if you travel abroad quite frequently, they offer a $69.99 ($64 with voice) BlackBerry International plan (Link) (http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/AffordablePackagesfortheWorld#BLACK) that includes unlimited email and your calling rates can be found here (http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/roaming_gen).

BP, appreciate the advice. Checked your link and being my usual self, didn't limit the reading to big bold letters. Got this from the small print: When outside the U.S., you will be charged normal roaming airtime rates when incoming calls are routed to voicemail even if no message is left.

This is insane! What it means is that as soon as I turn on my radio overseas, I'm going to get screwed, no lube!

-Dude

(I know that this is probably not the right thread for this, but damn!)

crisambo
11-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I received email this morning from rep inquiring if I'm available tomorrow so he can personally deliver the 8700c. Obviously, I replied, yes. I didn't go into details.... I'll just have to hear what he has to say and report back after.

Just got another email today from rep apologizing for not getting back to my response earlier this week. . . now trying to set-up delivery for next week. . . . I guess that puts it in line with 11/14 rumored date.

mmcpher
11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I had been in touch with our Cingular B2B Rep about it, who didn't have good info but guessed based on my description of the Launch Event that a Field Rep would be contacting me and to be sure for me to tell him that we already were in program and direct him back to the B2B Rep. I dunned the B2B guy yesterday and he e-mailed back: "We do not have a set release date on that yet. It's in a COMING SOON status, but quite honestly that could last for a couple months yet." Now as I read that reply, I think the "couple months" refers to the internal COMING SOON status, rather than an actual assessment of when the 8700C might be forthcoming.

I suppose RIM and Cingular could be playing cutesy and building buzz and demand, but there is a disconnect between a "Launch" and being subject to the normal grindings of a product roll out. Where it gets positively strange, is the way on the one hand that they are orchestrating customer and press perception of a new product, and simultaneously keeping their sales people in the dark (unless that is a complete pose).

rjharary
11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I don't think they would make us wait to build hype that would just be wrong.

rjharary
11-10-2005, 08:46 PM

I don't think they would make us wait to build hype that would just be wrong.

EDIT: Sorry, I dont know why I posted twice, I think something to do with the esc button.

fhammond
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
I haven't received one from the event but our contact at Cingular was able to give me a new 8700c he had. It was much appreciated. I'd tried one a few weeks ago and was very impressed, so it's great to have one to use until I get my "real" one. The company I work at has just started supporting "phone-enabled PDAs" and a quick test of the 8700c was enough to convince me to switch all our existing 7290 orders to the 8700c.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the 8700c.

P.S. Hi, Ig :smile:

jnelson2000
11-14-2005, 09:50 AM
///

dolo
11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
This week should be when we receive some sort of contact about this device...

Let's hope there are no delays boys....the sooner we get it - the sooner we can all be $1600 richer! :P

i still can't believe that.

PC

barjohn
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I am starting to wonder as I was told last week it would be this week and now they are saying next week? I wonder what is going on.

richard371
11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Unless the Cingular launch of the 21st is delayed we will have ours after the launch most likely. So much for the "new kid on the block" he said at the rollout party.

jnelson2000
11-14-2005, 03:24 PM
barjohn,

Yes, there is an increased chance that the launch on the 21st will be delayed, if only by a few days.

barjohn
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
I just received information that the delay is due to some last minute code changes they needed to make. Presumably, either bugs that were found and fixed or added features that weren't ready before and they decided to add. Just a guess on my part.

AlbertoM
11-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I just received information that the delay is due to some last minute code changes they needed to make. Presumably, either bugs that were found and fixed or added features that weren't ready before and they decided to add. Just a guess on my part.
Actually I don't mind, as I rather they fixed things before they shipped, or added new goodies before they shipped - John, any idea how much the delay will be? I am afraid that they may have had thousands ready to go into the channel which they will have to reburn.....

barjohn
11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
All I was told when I said that I thought your COO had said we would have them before the general public was that they needed to make the changes and that it would be next week before we would see them. Maybe someone with better insight into RIM can provide us with better data. I know I am disappointed.

Dude
11-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

Finally some progress! Got a thank you email from "The Blackberry Team.". The most important thing it says is "As a token of our appreciation, your Cingular Sales Representative will soon deliver a BlackBerry 8700c right to your door." Looks like jnelson's and dolo's date predictions were accurate.

AlbertoM
11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

Finally some progress! Got a thank you email from "The Blackberry Team.". The most important thing it says is "As a token of our appreciation, your Cingular Sales Representative will soon deliver a BlackBerry 8700c right to your door." Looks like jnelson's and dolo's date predictions were accurate.
:smile: Just when is "soon"? :smile:

Soapm
11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
:smile: Just when is "soon"? :smile:

We were thinking the same, no telling how relitive "soon" is. Could be Christmas.

dolo
11-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Anyone else receive this email? I didn't..grrr

Dude - can you confirm that you received this to the email address you registered at the event with?

Regards,
dolo

Wiseass
11-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Just got my email today myself.

My rep said they're pushed back 3-4 days (would put release that Friday after thanksgiving if that's true) due to OS/Software upgrade.

richard371
11-18-2005, 12:17 PM
The people who went to the launch should get them before that then?

Dude
11-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Dolo,

Confirmed, the email went to the registration address.

-Dude

P.S. I love this wireless posting, jus gotta watch out for ESC :)

richard371
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Just contacted the registration number and they said my rep will be contacting me. My rep says Rim will be contacting me. Who knows.

rjharary
11-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Dolo,

Confirmed, the email went to the registration address.

-Dude

P.S. I love this wireless posting, jus gotta watch out for ESC :)

I dont have a rep and i'm starting to worry that nobody will contact me.

crisambo
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Received email last Friday 11/18, that RIM has shipped 8700c devices to Cingular reps for distribution to attendees. This was likewise confirmed by my rep this morning. He promised to get it out to me as soon as possible but this week being a short one, he said that it may be next week before I receive it. Ship date for all other orders are expected to be after 11/28. Asked about the delay, he said that there were issues with the application software that had to be fixed, and that Cingular has finally accepted the latest release.

richard371
11-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Well it would have been nice to have it for the holidays but maybe we will get them the week after.

dolo
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Should I be concerned that I haven't received an email from anyone at all in regards to this?

:(

I don't have a rep, we have a relationship with Cingular as to our invitations to the event, etc.

I will be sure to collect on this...

Regards,
dolo

Dude
11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Can you guys believe it?!? According to this thread http://wap.blackberryforums.com/GetThread.php?t=19636&f=52&bat= regular customers can get the 8700c. Meawhile, we, who have drunk the free Cingular booze and rubbed elbows with the RIM brass, are still waiting to be told what's going on. I understand that we'll be getting free units, but wasn't the deal that we get them before John Q Public? I say, I say, they better ship them to us unlocked to make up for this. :-)

richard371
11-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Im sure once all the customers get them we will get ours last. So much for being the "new kid on the block" as quoted at the rollout. It would be nice to know if and when we are going to get ours otherwise it's going to be tempting to buy one although the stores will not sell it to you wo contract in the beginning if their is short supply.

dolo
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Hmm,

Still haven't received any notice about someone reaching out to me.
Anyone have a number I can call to follow up on this?

To give everyone a background, no contact that I have can provide clarity into this as the organization I work for doesn't have a business deal (service provider deal) with either RIM or Cingular.

Any help would be grateful.

Regards,
dolo

richard371
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
If you call the reg hotline they will say they have nothing to do with it that a Cingular rep will contact you. When I contact my Cing rep "who was there btw" he said that Rim will be contacting me. Who knows.

rjharary
11-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I know...Were getting screwed!

mmcpher
11-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Well according to my B2B guy, even though you can order a unit that doesn't mean that you'll get one before the launch attendees will:

"They just added it to our phone lineup, but when we checked our system that shows stock and availability, we do not have any at our warehouses yet. They are on backorder. So, while we could order them now, the order would be automatically put on backorder until they are in stock at the RDC's."

dolo
11-22-2005, 10:59 PM
How great would it be to go back to work after the holiday and find a nice little box sitting on your desk?

That would make all of these headaches vanish quicker then you could blow a candle out!

But yes...there was some thread in hofo about emailing the President and getting things escalated pretty quick.

Wouldn't go down that route...but at this rate we just may have to!

Regards,
dolo

barjohn
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
mmcpher is wrong. They are shipping the ordered units out today. I attended the SF event and have yet to see or hear anything on the promissed units.

crisambo
11-23-2005, 12:10 AM
to all of you waiting for the freebie I say, patience! this 'berry wasn't ripe for the picking as forecasted . . . when it's due, hopefully, we'll all taste the sweet produce . . . Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!

richard371
11-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Ok now I am very unhappy about the 8700c we were supposed to receive or at least be contacted about. People who ordered theirs from Cingular are starting to get them today. We were told we would get ours before this. I just wish we at least know when and if we are getting ours that way we can make other arrangments. When I emailed my rep he says RIM will contact me. When I call the RIM reg desk they said Cingular will contact me. I think if we don't have these by next week and they are readily availabe we should email someone higher up the chain to get this resolved.

sonydude23
11-23-2005, 12:58 PM
It is a joint effort between the two - RIM will ship / Cingular will give the names. This will be done next week.

richard371
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I lost you, you are saying we will get them next week?

sonydude23
11-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Thats the word from RIM.

Dude
11-23-2005, 03:45 PM

So if RIM ships them, does it mean they will be unlocked?

richard371
11-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

that would be nice. guess it depends on if they really come from rim or cingular. I have heard diff. it says on the voucher a cing rep will contact us soon which has not happened.

dolo
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM

So if RIM ships them, does it mean they will be unlocked?

Exactly what I was just going to post - till Dude covered that.

Get ready for the tmobile --> 8700c posts. If their unlocked, I might actually start that thread!

lolol

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Regards,
PC

fritzd
11-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Hello all -

Great forum! I have been waiting now a few weeks for any contact from a Cingular rep based on the NYC event I attended on 11/1. Just curious has anyone from NYC area been contacted and received a 8700c. If so is there a rep name that you can post as a courtesy to those of us that have NEVER heard anything.

I am asking because I'd like to know if this was just some kind of f*cked up hoax or something on Cingular's or RIM's part. To say we'd be contacted "soon" and then nothing... and to add insult to injury, the reps at Cingular B2B between not knowing any thing about the event, can be downright rude when you try to inquire on the promised devices that would be sent.

Again anyone with info on a rep to follow-up with please post. - Thanks

dolo
11-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Bump

I know we have a few "action item" based posts floating - but I don't want us to lose sight of this thread.

Regards,
dolo

jnelson2000
11-28-2005, 08:52 PM
/////

iSynergy
11-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I just spoke to my rep and he now says that RIM is shipping the devices to Cingular to distribute. So then I asked if he received the devices yet, and he said "NO". But he ensured me that as soon as the devices arrive that he would send me one. (Probably the same line that he tells all the other customers that have been calling for over a month)

I never thought of myself as an impatient person, but DAMN!!

richard371
11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
delete duplicate

richard371
11-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yea I went out and bought one at 449. If rims sends us one ever I will sell this one or return it.

Stinsonddog
11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
I left Chris a message on his phone early this am too. Let's see. My rep did profusely apologize. I am glad the BB browser is getting resolved for those that have them.

FKI
11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Anyone have word on when Cingular reps will be contacting the attendees of the launch party in NYC?

barjohn
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I just received a call asking me where I wanted it shipped. A coincidence that it happened after my letter to all of the senior RIM management? Perhaps!

richard371
11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Did you receive a call from Cingular or Rim?

Stinsonddog
11-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Can you get us a contact number please. Chris in Seattle from Cingular has not called back yet.

barjohn
11-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Apparently it was from RIM but I didn't think to ask. The number had an Ontario Canada prefix.

dolo
11-29-2005, 10:29 PM
BarJohn,

You attended the SF launch correct?

As the NYC attendees are still missing feedback, I'm seeing a little more then just coincidence ;)

Regards,
dolo

barjohn
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Yes, I attended the SF event. It turns out that the person that contacted me was from the promo company that put on all the events and the units were sent to them to send out. Everyone should be getting them in the next few days. At least that is my understanding.

dolo
11-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Stop teasing me John.

:D

I'm excited!

dolo

Stinsonddog
12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes unit it, but came in a very cool Black Leather Valet with a place to put a photo in the top. Also came with a car charger too, but no wall charger, and a headset and plastic holder.

richard371
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
You got your free one? Is it unlocked?

Stinsonddog
12-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Network reads active and all other listings read inactive.

richard371
12-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Yes mine just came it is locked but nice leather box.

Dude
12-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I was out of the office yesterday and seeing all these exciting posts here and in the For RIM/Cingular Management thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=19907), I was hoping to see a FedEx box on my desk this morning. Alas, all I got was a Cingular bill; and I really think I deserve better than that for starting this 5-star thread :razz:

gBerry
12-02-2005, 09:23 AM
I understand that some are sent directly and then others will be hand delivered by the Cingular reps....that is phase 2 I guess and hope

dolo
12-02-2005, 09:24 AM
I have recieved my device - it came yesterday but was out of the office.
Comes packaged in a very nice case as Stinson stated before.

Nicely done.

BarJohn, call it coincidence, call it what you want, IMO you put a little fire under ther butts. the directive went from send it out - to send out N O W.

Regards,
dolo

emale
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
You guys are funny,

You all happy now? :)

Was it worth the wait?

Did you notice the delay not just for you but also regular customers?

Do you think investors will be more forgiving for customers not being able to get them right away or a handful of people who will still get them a week or so later?

All I can say I guess is I would have waited a month, even if they said a day, why? because it was free and I wouldnt want to act like a little baby in public like some of you have LOL

You all acted like crackheads who got ripped off by their dealer.. Yet it was free!

Enjoy youre nice free new 8700!

dutchboy
12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
I called my Cingular rep and asked for an ETA. Another gentleman I attended the Chicago event with got his this week and the unit was shipped directly from Canada. I have a feeling that will be the case that our Cingular reps will be hand delivering the units for deployment.

anthonymoody
12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Hmm. Gonna have to pop my TMo SIM in just for giggles. No way I'm switching to Cingular.

TM

Dude
12-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Am I the only one, or are there others who have not received their device yet?

cschrage
12-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Yep...still waiting...and waiting. I got email from RIM promising the unit this week.

gBerry
12-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm still waiting, I know it was shipped to my rep, but not sure he got it since he is unreachable....I left vmail, email, and am now waiting (biting my fingernails)...

cschrage
12-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Same boat...my unit was supposed to ship to my rep...then to me.

FYI - here is what RIM emailed to me :x

Thanks for your interest in the 8700c.

We have experienced several delays with getting our seeding devices out as promised.

I'm happy to report that these have been worked out and you should be getting your device within the next 5 business days.

The demand for the 8700c has been so great that we can't make enough of them!

I'm sure that you'll find the experience of the device will make up for the delay getting it to you.

Dude
12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm still waiting, I know it was shipped to my rep, but not sure he got it since he is unreachable....I left vmail, email, and am now waiting (biting my fingernails)...

How did you find out that it was shipped to your Rep?

cschrage
12-05-2005, 01:29 PM
From speaking to RIM and my Cingular rep.

As of this morning, no units received by Cingular rep.

Blackberry fiend
12-06-2005, 02:22 AM
None of the 5 launch attendees from my company have heard a darn thing, and Cingular is actively trying to land a contract with our huge nationwide organization. On a personal level, I finally got so fed up with Cingular and this 8700 launch fiasco and the total lack of communication that I ordered a Verizon Blackberry 7130e by phone this afternoon. It will be here within the week. Since I love Blackberries, I had to blame Cingular rather than RIM for how this past month has been handled. I could be unhappy enough and frustrated enough with how this launch was handled to stop considering a move back to Cingular/ATT, but not unhappy enough to stop buying RIM products.

I currently have T-Mobile and am reasonably happy with the coverage in my area and I love the voice minute price compared to the competition. I never moved to Verizon despite my wife and 2 kids being on Verizon, and the vastly better Verizon coverage in my area, primarily because of the high voice minute costs. Turns out for me that the total package will actually be cheaper for me on Verizon than what Cingular would have cost and what I currently pay on T-Mobile, especially when I consider that all my family calls are now free since they are "IN Network".

Any customer who also is an employee of a company that does business with Verizon is eligible for a significant corporate discount. For me it was 18% on service plans and I believe 25% on hardware. Actually my Blackberry data/voice package price as an individual employee is a bit cheaper than what my company would have to pay for me to have identical service. Significantly, as a "private" purchase, I am not limited to Verizon's Blackberry 7250, which is the only model my company will go out and buy me.

My 7130e is costing me $159 with a 1-yr contract ($129 if I had chosen a 2-yr contract). 450 voice minutes, unlimited Blackberry data, unlimited web browsing, unlimited nights and weekends will cost me $65.59 for the “Core Choice”, the least expensive of Verizon’s 3 Blackberry Voice and Data Bundles. If I end up needing more voice minutes one month, it will cost $25 more to increase to the 1350 minute package for that month only.

In addition, there is no monthly or per use charge to tether my laptop to the 7130e and use the Blackberry as a wireless modem! Of course the data speed is EVDO and not EDGE, which is even better.

I will miss the option of switching GSM sim cards whenever I want to try a new Blackberry on our BES, and I'm REALLY hoping that I'll be able to adapt to the different text entry approach of the 7130e. I should know that easily within my 15 day trial period. At that point, if I decide to keep the 7130e I'll port my number over from T-Mobile and be a very happy camper. My bluetooth headphone was delivered today. ThinkOutside's new Shasta bluetooth keyboard should be delivered about Dec 20, just in time to be a nice Christmas present if someone in the family is short on ideas for me. If I decide to return the unit, the first quarter 2006 Blackberry products don't look to be too shabby.

The 7130e thread was a great source of information to me when I started formulating this plan earlier today, specifically the memos from individuals trying to choose between the 8700c and the 7130e. So please excuse my double posting this to that thread as well. I’ve spent the past month as a BlackberryForums 8700 newbie, pouring over each and every new post, anticipating my Cingular 8700s arrival “any day now”, and am finally throwing in the towel and becoming a happy Verizon customer instead. Even when the 8700 shows up on my doorstep tomorrow :-), I think that this is the right choice for me. If not, I’ll open the sealed 8700 box in two weeks and reconsider my options.

gregg
12-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Nothing here yet not even an email. I called the Rim registration line yesterday and was 'assured' that everyone in attendance would receive a device "in the next week or two". Frustrating. I don't know what I'd do if my company hadn't already bought me one (my launch device will be Mrs. Gregg's)..

Gster
12-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I continue to wait patiently as well.

cschrage
12-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I received an 8700c this morning from PROforma.
The unit was packed in a typical consumer box...no fancy leather casing.

mmcpher
12-06-2005, 11:57 AM
It arrived this morning, in a fancy leather case.

dutchboy
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Still Waiting - No word from my REP as of yet. I have ordered about 10 for others in my company but still don't have mine yet. This is crazy.

acohen
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I got mine today (via FedEx from Proforma Instant Promotions in Concord, ON) in the same packaging that others have. I attended the NYC launch (which I registered for without an invite code). Looks like my 2 month old 7290 hits eBay asap. Got it connected to my BES and Cingular POP accts in less than 15 mins. Works great so far, love the speakerphone too.

Mark Rejhon
12-06-2005, 06:30 PM
None of the 5 launch attendees from my company have heard a darn thing, and Cingular is actively trying to land a contract with our huge nationwide organization. On a personal level, I finally got so fed up with Cingular and this 8700 launch fiasco and the total lack of communication that I ordered a Verizon Blackberry 7130e by phone this afternoon. Wow. This is really too bad;

You should print your post out and email this to RIM and Cingular.

This may allow them to plan future launches better;

richard371
12-06-2005, 09:16 PM
If anyone has success getting these unlocked let us know. It appears RIM did not send the unlock codes to Cingular for the launch units based on trying to get mine unlocked from third party service.

ad65
12-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Received my unit this morning in black leather box. Beautiful!!

sonydude23
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Those of you who are getting your units, which event did you attend?

cschrage
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Nyc

ad65
12-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Nyc

Dude
12-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

After reading everyone's posts about the 8700, I thouight I was prepared. But all I can say is "this thing is un-freakin-believable!!!". You can probably guess that I finally got mine. It was hand delivered by our rep late this afternoon. The browser is incerdible! P.S. I attended the NYC event. -Dude

dolo
12-09-2005, 03:11 PM
You started the thread - i'm glad you were able to finally get one.

Regards,
dolo

fritzd
12-12-2005, 02:49 PM
FINALLY, Finally! Got it. Attended NYC event, and yes it's pretty awesome. - FD

gBerry
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
I attended the NYC event too.

PS - Barjohn is the man!

ad65
12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I just got an unlock code for my launch event 8700. I will test it tomorrow and report back.

Blackberry fiend
12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
I just got an unlock code for my launch event 8700. I will test it tomorrow and report back.

Where did you get it from and how much did you have to pay for it? Many of us are in the same boat and want to use the 8700 with T-Mobile, not Cingular. Whatever consideration I was giving to switching to Cingular has long gone by the wayside in this launch party communication fiasco.
Thanks. :smile:

ad65
12-13-2005, 09:15 AM
I got the code from GSMLOCKER for $130. I do not seem to have a sim card option though to enter the code.

ad65
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I just unlocked my launch 8700 and it works like a charm. Well worth the $130!!

anthonymoody
12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
ad65,
I know you've now posted it a couple times, but I want to make absolutely positively sure - GSMLOCKER actually unlocked a launch event 8700c? Any sense of why they could but none of the other services could?

TM

ad65
12-13-2005, 09:34 AM
I have no idea. The strange thing is Cingular is not listed as a network for the 8700C so I chose ATT blue. I attended the NYC event.

anthonymoody
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
ad65,
Again just trying to understand - were/are you an existing customer of Cingular and/or ATT blue? Or are you saying you had to write down ATT blue for your registration for the event? Trying to figure out what you mean by "I chose ATT blue" to see if there's something I can do with mine (also from the NYC launch event though I did not attend - they sent me one anyway!)

THanks!
TM

Mark Rejhon
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
The posts related to RIM changing their mind about sending BlackBerry 8700r's to me and Tom, is outlined at the following:
NEWSALERT -- RIM's Poor Treatment of BlackBerryForums Moderators! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21591)

ad65
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
You have to choose ATT/Blue when placing the order through gsmlocker as Cingular is not listed.

anthonymoody
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
OH I see what you're saying. Sorry for being thick, thanks! I wish I could get more info out of gsmlocker. I'm trying to make sure that somewhere - either on their website or in communication to me - they say that you get a full refund if they can't unlock the device. I've sent them a few inquiries through their web form but haven't heard back.

Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled to hear that you've had success ad65, it's just that gsmlocker charges a LOT (compared to other sources) so I want to make sure I'm protected if it doesn't work... Did you get a phone number from them at any point in the process by chance?

Thanks,
Tony

ad65
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
No. Just make sure you use a credit card just in case you have to dispute the charge.

rjharary
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
You guys are funny,

You all happy now? :)

Was it worth the wait?

Did you notice the delay not just for you but also regular customers?

Do you think investors will be more forgiving for customers not being able to get them right away or a handful of people who will still get them a week or so later?

All I can say I guess is I would have waited a month, even if they said a day, why? because it was free and I wouldnt want to act like a little baby in public like some of you have LOL

You all acted like crackheads who got ripped off by their dealer.. Yet it was free!

Enjoy youre nice free new 8700!

A hint of jealousy?

odlam
12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Anyone from the Chicago Launch here?
If so, did you get yours yet or any word on device ETA?

gBerry
12-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Cingular has received the unlock codes from RIM, and they are available through the international care group.

I got mine yesterday and it worked perfectly!

Best of all, it was FREE!!!

Enjoy!

ad65
12-14-2005, 10:15 AM
That is good news. Something happened to the code gsmlocker gave me. The unit is no locked again and they said it is my fault. Good thing I used my AMEX.

anthonymoody
12-14-2005, 02:55 PM
holy cow ad65 that's awful. hopefully you'll be able to unlock it now by calling cingular?

TM

ad65
12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Yep. GSMLOCKER is issuing a full refund and I was able to get the correct code from Cingular.

rjharary
12-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Thats because there is a built in function when Cingular locks it, it will keep relocking if unlocked by means of typing in a calculated code. Bongo and Cingular are the only ones who cn do it.

corey@12mile
12-15-2005, 03:40 PM
a built in function to relock the device? how james bond like... I doubt it... I don't think it was really unlocked and then relocked.

cd.

hf1khal
12-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Cingular has received the unlock codes from RIM, and they are available through the international care group.

I got mine yesterday and it worked perfectly!

Best of all, it was FREE!!!

Enjoy!

I agot mine unlocked by Cingular too. I asked for it in the late morning and in about 1 hour I had the code.

odlam
01-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Anyone from Chicago receive their 8700c?

richard371
01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
There is no built in function to relock the device if it us unlocked.