PDA

View Full Version : BES - what is it

hew2nd
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
My apologies for this probably basic question - what is BES?
I see references to it in several posts. It appears to have something to do with how our BB is configured with our "corporate office"?

How do I know if I have it? My BB comes from my company and the company IT's have to do any work on it. I can't get into it because they restrict the password. I do get my e-mail on my BB - same as shows up on my desktop.

Thanks
hew2nd

TonyCT
11-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Blackberry Enterprise Server. The software that runs on your companies server that links your Blackberry to your local network Exchange or other Mail system. Also allows for management of functions, accessory programs, etc.

8-)

jscully
11-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Wrong.
BES stands for:
Blackberryforums
Endorses
Search Button...the second B is silent.
Off the Search Button...Mark Rejhorn's FAQ's...Blackberry Glossary...BES
"BES
This stands for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. BES turns a BlackBerry into a powerful government-quality secure email system with full wireless email and PIM synchronization, including email folder structure, moves between foldres, deletitions, unread/read indicators, etc. An administrator can even kill a BlackBerry remotely through BES when it gets stolen too. People who need inexpensive BES, can see the Hosted BES FAQ. BES also provides MDS capability, which is generally higher-reliability than the recently available TCP/IP stack found on BlackBerries."
...How do I know if I have it?...
My guess is that you have it.
The quickest way that I know to test it is:
-open an e-mail you sent from your Blackberry
-Scroll up. it will either say, "Using: Desktop (Secure)" (means BES) or "Using: Web Client" (means no BES)

another test would be
-Go into Options off of main screen
-click Message Services
-It will say "Messaging (CMIME): ______" either Web Client or Desktop (see above for which is which)
if you hit your trackwheel and "change option"...if it allows you to select either Web Client or Desktop...you are hooked up with both (or can be...just have to set-up Webclient)