PDA

View Full Version : New features in 8700?

dyzs
11-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Are there timed profiles? A voice recorder? Able to request read receipt?

mas90guru
11-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Faster processor, better screen, adoption of 7100 features, ability to use high speed data networks, slightly different dimensions and key layout, programmable smart keys (2), separate send/end keys for phone.

I still view it as a nice incremental upgrade and could be a little more excited if I saw the screen in action.

Would be even more excited if it offered html email reading, separate icons to mark when a message was forwarded or replied to (like Outlook does).

barjohn
11-03-2005, 09:53 AM
The html email would be a big one and like you say the icons too. It surprises me that RIM, a company that specializes in email delivery, as opposed to texting would not offer that by now.

Grimlin
11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
The html email would be a big one...

<2 Cents>
HTML Mail = Satan :-o

Just had to chime in... It's a pet peave. I think email should be about text content, not pretty formatting and graphics. RIM may eventually cave in to pressure, but here is to hoping that they don't. 8-)
</2 Cents>

barjohn
11-07-2005, 09:33 AM
In a perfect world where you control everything that would be fine by me; however, in the real world people send out HTML email and I want to be able to get it and read it. Yes, I know there is a down side in that it is the preferred format for junk mail and in that sense it is evil. We don't use Courier font based typewriters anymore and tend to use Times Roman fonts, not just because they look prettier but because you can get more content in a given amount of space while improving readability. If you don't think so, you should try and read some of the Navy messages I have to read that are written in Courier font all caps and no paragraph spacing. They are hell to read. and forget skimming.

Grimlin
11-07-2005, 10:16 AM
...in the real world people send out HTML email and I want to be able to get it and read it...

I Concede. Peer pressure is definitely what will drive this train. Too many people use it. If RIM ever implements it, they will do it "smartly" though and I think I will be OK. As long as you can turn off scripting, Hrefs and exteranl links, it is pretty safe.

May the Fixed-Width System Font Live Forever!!!!

mas90guru
11-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Software for the TREO has long had this HTML ability -- so it's not like we're asking them to split the atom or anything...

AlbertoM
11-07-2005, 11:52 AM
A voice recorder?
In the ultra secure RIM world, this is probably a non-starter.

Brad00111
11-07-2005, 11:38 PM
A voice recorder?

Sure theres a voice recorder......call your voicemail and leave yourself a message.......sorry im a little samrt #$$y today.

:-D

bperkins
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Will the 8700 support Bluetooth Sync Profile? OBEX? I was hoping to sync the contacts via Bluetooth. Currently my PowerBook recognizes my 7250 but obviously it will not allow it to sync.

Seattle18
11-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Will the 8700 support Bluetooth Sync Profile? OBEX? I was hoping to sync the contacts via Bluetooth. Currently my PowerBook recognizes my 7250 but obviously it will not allow it to sync.
BUMP - does this work? I got my 8700 today but haven't been able to BT sync with my iBook yet? Suggestions?

richard371
11-27-2005, 11:37 AM
HTML email will be larger correct. Maybe they are worried about the strain on the network.

Sparkomatic
11-27-2005, 12:12 PM
seattle18, not sure about BT syncing to an iBook, but I can BT sync to my PC just fine. It's actually pretty cool. As soon as my BB is in range, it just starts a sync and everything is very fast too.

MobileRC
11-27-2005, 02:56 PM
seattle18, not sure about BT syncing to an iBook, but I can BT sync to my PC just fine. It's actually pretty cool. As soon as my BB is in range, it just starts a sync and everything is very fast too.

This may be a stupid question, but I want to be clear... the connection is trusted.. so it does it automatically... and does your desktop manager have to be open? and what will it sync? everything? I will also assume that you are not on a bes, so this is a feature, I guess, for BIS users?

buttbutt
11-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Can you play wav/mp3 files on the thing that come as attachments? Basically looking for ability to send vonage voicemails to the thing and listen to them, I kind of understand the ring tone playability. I guess for others the ability to drop a few songs to the thing and listen with poor audio quality may be a benefit too.