PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a BES server?

MMifka
04-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Hi
I am looking at getting a blackberry for my new business. there is only one of me at this stage. do i need to get a bes server? what would you suggest is the best way to get started with one user. i am working off windows based laptop. i have outlook installed and will use this for the emails.

i am looking at the blackberry curve, as this is the one i used previously.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

wu-wei
04-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (8800)

For just one user, the cost of a server is way too high.

I'd recommend a hosted BES/Exchange. Check out SyncMeMobile (http://www syncmemobile.com). I think they've got a one-month free trial right now.

skyman84
04-06-2009, 04:51 AM
yeah,
unless you're hosting your own website and exchange server then there's no point in looking at BES or BPS.

As it's just yourself, then I'd advise that you stick with BIS and just syncing your contacts and calander via the desktop manager.

Dubdub
04-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I would use BIS as suggested above. That is what I do. Look at GoogleSync for calendar and contacts if you really need wireless sync.

takeshi
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I am looking at getting a blackberry for my new business. there is only one of me at this stage. do i need to get a bes server? what would you suggest is the best way to get started with one user. i am working off windows based laptop. i have outlook installed and will use this for the emails.
You need to look at BES and determine if you really need what it offers. Hosted BES is the most economical BES option if you need it.

A more meaningful recommendation can be made if you can provide what you're looking for specifically.

MMifka
04-07-2009, 04:05 AM
thanks for the advice. i am feeling really stupid. what is a BIS?

SteveO86
04-07-2009, 05:47 AM
BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service, pretty much just provides normal push email and web access (What every consumer has). Not as much functionality as BES but for a single user BES could be a rather pricey setup.

I would just search the forum for BIS vs BES threads, but if after reading BES and you find it's something you MUST have for a signle user a hosted solution would be best. (Or something like ThinkPost)

Main highlight of BES is 2 way sync with email and wireless PIM sync.