PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with 8830 phone speaker/microphone, upgrading, looking for your opinion!

tshawjr
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I currently have the 8830 with Verizon as the carrier, and I am glad to say that as a first-time BlackBerry user, I am hooked! However, as much as I love all of the bells and whistles that come with owning a BlackBerry, actually using the 8830 model as a phone is extremely frustrating. Maybe it is just my particular phone, but the ear-speaker quality is very poor, and apparently the microphone is as well as the person on the other line asks me to repeat myself at least once per conversation. (ed: after doing research, it seems I am not the only one with this particular qualm regarding phone speaker and microphone quality)

As a financial professional, I link my BlackBerry to my office phone, so I end up using it quite a bit. Unfortunately, at times I find it necessary to tell the person I am speaking with that I will call them back and switch to my house phone, so I can actually hear them!

I will be switching to another model within the next month (under my current Verizon plan), and I was hoping that the fine users of the BB forums would be of service to me: Which BlackBerry model(s) have you found to have the best phone quality? (Connectivity, Speaker and Microphone). I would preferably be looking for a newer model, as our office phones have presented forwarding problems in the past to older models, but I am open to all opinions/experiences!

I greatly appreciate your help, and I look forward to reading your responses! Thanks in advance!

SteveO86
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
With VZW your main choices will be the Curve 8330, Pearl 8310, or the Storm 9530..

Completely different devices.

Can you deal with a touch screen/like it? (9530)
Do you like the full qwerty keyboard? (8330)
Are you a fan of Suretype? (8130)

Both the 8330 and 9530 offer more onboard memory for applications/PIM stuff then the 8130, but the Storm 9530 offers a faster process then the other.

Or wait a bit longer and see if the rumors are true if VZW will be getting a newer BB soon, granted they are rumors.

PHLwok
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM
If the phone's under warranty you might want to see if they can swap you - I'm not having these issues with my 8830, and in fact I think it's one of the better phones I've had lately with regards to call audio quality.

david9962000
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I have this problem with my 8330, I can hear the difference when I use my 8110.

rdrum
04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I currently have the 8830 with Verizon as the carrier, and I am glad to say that as a first-time BlackBerry user, I am hooked! However, as much as I love all of the bells and whistles that come with owning a BlackBerry, actually using the 8830 model as a phone is extremely frustrating. Maybe it is just my particular phone, but the ear-speaker quality is very poor, and apparently the microphone is as well as the person on the other line asks me to repeat myself at least once per conversation. (ed: after doing research, it seems I am not the only one with this particular qualm regarding phone speaker and microphone quality)

As a financial professional, I link my BlackBerry to my office phone, so I end up using it quite a bit. Unfortunately, at times I find it necessary to tell the person I am speaking with that I will call them back and switch to my house phone, so I can actually hear them!

I will be switching to another model within the next month (under my current Verizon plan), and I was hoping that the fine users of the BB forums would be of service to me: Which BlackBerry model(s) have you found to have the best phone quality? (Connectivity, Speaker and Microphone). I would preferably be looking for a newer model, as our office phones have presented forwarding problems in the past to older models, but I am open to all opinions/experiences!

I greatly appreciate your help, and I look forward to reading your responses! Thanks in advance!

I would look in to returning the unit to Verizon and getting a warranty replacement. I've had my 8830 for some time now (also with Verizon) and I've never experienced issues with my mic/speaker or the quality of sound. In fact, as much as I like LG, the sound quality on the BB is far superior to my previous phones, which have all been LG. The only exception would be the Motroloa Q that I had for a while - the sound quality of which was better than LG, but still not as good as my BB.