PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Blackberry and I have a couple questions

elhammond
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm a BB Newb so please bare with me.

I have Verizon and I think I have settled on the 8330.

1. Can I sync music with iTunes on my MacBook?

2. Do I need Blackberry® Solution Unlimited Data Usage to be able to use the BB apps?

3. Does Blackberry® Solution Unlimited Data Usage cover text messaging as well?

4. Will I be charged minutes while using the web app, any app such as Facebook?

Thanks so much,
Eric

Trimix
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I believe BlackBerry has a program called BlackBerry Media sync that allows syncing of music from iTunes. Since I don't have a Mac, I can't say much else about the overall synching experience between Blackberry and Apple.

Since you are with Verizon, they require you to purchase the Blackberry data plan if you want to get a Blackberry device. With the data plan, you will be able to use all the BB apps (messenger, maps, etc) and Facebook without further charges.

I don't believe the data plan covers text messages however.

jsconyers
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the forums.

1) I am not sure as I don't use iTunes or a Mac.

2) Yes, you need a BlackBerry data plan to use the device as intended. Verizon will not sell a BlackBerry without this data plan.

3) No, it is unlimited data, texting is not included.

4) No, those apps use data.

xkylar
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Wirelessly posted

There is a beta version of the Media Sync for Mac. I've found it easier to just copy the files from my iTunes folder to the memory card.

Motorcycle Mama
04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Be aware also, that the BlackBerry will only play unprotected music. Songs with DRMs will not be recognized by the BlackBerry.

elhammond
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Be aware also, that the BlackBerry will only play unprotected music. Songs with DRMs will not be recognized by the BlackBerry.

Are Amazon MP3's ok?

rachamphetamine
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, Amazon MP3s are DRM-free, so they should work.

However, I have not personally tried to play any on my phone, so hopefully someone who has can confirm this.

Motorcycle Mama
04-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Yep, I can confirm that, and songs purchased from iTunes after January 6, 2009 are DRM free.