PDA

View Full Version : newbie here: locked or unlocked - that is the question

berrysweet
04-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I recently got a T-Mobile BB 8700g phone that I THOUGHT was unlocked. I put in my SUNCOM(recently switched over to T-MOBILE) SIM and the phone reads invalid SIM. So, if it was unlocked, would it matter what SIM?

another thing - in what way can I check to see if the phone is indeed unlocked? What ICON can I go to? I have seen ways to do this on other carrier 8700 models, but not one for tmobile 8700. Thanks

berrysweet
04-09-2009, 12:36 AM
another thing is it true since the switch, you can't use suncom SIM in T-mobile phones??

Horizon Wireless
04-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Go to options advanced options, simcard and type meld, if it's unlocked it will say disabled next to network. Sounds like it's locked. If you'd like we can help you. Follow the link in my signature.

berrysweet
04-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Go to options advanced options, simcard and type meld, if it's unlocked it will say disabled next to network. Sounds like it's locked. If you'd like we can help you. Follow the link in my signature.

Thanks Horizon. But when I go to options on the top of the screen has general settings which looks sort of highlighted in grey, then underneath that:
password: disabled
security timeout: 2 min
lock handhed upon holstering: no
content protection: Disabled
content compression: Enabled
IT Policy Name: Default
Last Updated:

I'm not seeing the advanced options

berrysweet
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
ok - I finally figured out how to get to advanced options, but when I get to SIM card I can't type anything. It just says No Valid SIM Card.

Maybe I need to get a T mobile SIM card? When I called T-mobile that is what they said