PDA

View Full Version : BB Bluetooth Smartcard Reader Pairing

getaniphone
04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Hello all! This is my first post and it's an issue that I've been working on for the better part of two months now.

I work at as a civilian contractor for the Navy and I provide IT support. I have set up Blackberries for use with Bluetooth CAC readers on our BES several times without an issue. Those were all 8700s...

We got some new 8820s in a while back and set them up. They worked fine for a while, but now they are dropping like flies. Nothing has changed anywhere on the BES in terms of security policies or anything. What's happening is after being paired for some time, the Blackberry will say 'hey, where's the reader?' and it won't pair up with the CAC reader that it was JUST paired to. When this happens, no matter what you do there is no way to get it paired back up. I've done every combination of factory reset/scrub/wipe/restore that you can imagine, to no avail. I've updated the software on the CAC reader and on the Blackberry. Nothing. The first time it happened, we thought it was a bad Blackberry and we got a new one while it was still in warranty. The brand new one, out of the box, will not work. The only thing I did was install the SCR software on the device, because obviously that's what needed to be done before it would pair with it. Still nothing. It sees the SCR, but when it tells you to hit the action button to get a pairing key, the SCR does nothing. I have an 8700 here that I can pair up with that same reader all day.
Has anyone seen this issue before? Is it some sort of incompatibility with the 8820 and the Blackberry Bluetooth Smart Card Readers?

SteveO86
04-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Have you looked threw thier support docs?
BlackBerry Smart Card Reader - Manuals and Guides (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry+Smart+Card+Reader)

getaniphone
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
I've looked at all the available documentation that is on the web for the BlackBerry itself and the BlackBerry Card Reader.

When trying to pair on the 8820, I can see the reader, but when it asks me to hit the action button to get a pairing key, the reader does nothing. If I do the same thing on any other BlackBerry (8700, etc) it will work just fine.

SteveO86
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Have you tried different readers on the 8820?

What OS is the 8820 running?

getaniphone
04-14-2009, 07:51 AM
I've tried 3 seperate readers and I've tried several different OS versions.

I currently have 4.5.0.110 installed on it.

BlackberryQ
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I am also in the same sitution. Once they updated the security policy to make the blue tooth enabled for all devices, this issue started happening. We had to go through and update all the smart card reader software from 4.2.090 to 4.2.104. You have to make sure both the reader and the blackberry have the .104 version on it. So that fixed all the pairing issues EXCEPT for the 8820's. Which brings me to this forum, searching the web trying to figure out why the updated software is not working with the 8820's. When trying to pair the devices you click the action button but the key pass that should display never comes up, making it impossible to pair the devices. If anyone knows of a fix, we would all greatly appreciate it. I would hate to think that the only thing we can do is tell them to get new blackberries!

NMCI
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have two bb 8830 that's not pairing up with the CAC card reader...it would pair initially with the 42090 but all of a sudden when you put in the cac id then the action button will not work anymore...there something in the KCS or 1stop saying about updating it to 420104 but just like the other NMCI tech...it didn't work...uninstalling / reinstalling nor wiping both the reader and the device will not work... right now I'm losing it and can't seem to find a solution for this issue...i'm on the sdns site ... what site are you on...need help...

NMCI
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
pairing issue...issue resolved by the new software 420113 version for the blackberry cac reader ...