PDA

View Full Version : When upgrading BlackBerry Device Software...

warriorsam
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I recently received a notice to upgrade my BlackBerry Device Software. My question is, upon upgrading, will I lose any themes or apps I have downloaded or will those remain intact?

John Clark
04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
That depends. Major upgrades like from OS 4.2.x.xxx to 4.5.x.xxx may cause issues with some themes/apps. If you're just upgrading from 4.5.0.xxx to a newer version of 4.5.0.xxx then you won't lose anything. Most everything works fine, though.

alb123
04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I can speak from experience: When I was upgrading to my first version of 4.5 there was a theme installed (that I later learned DID come with a warning, DO NOT install on 4.5) and it caused major headaches (basically locked my system, rendering it useless for hours). So, if you are even unsure - just double check where you got your theme from to see if there are any precautionary warnings regarding OS version support. :)

Dubdub
04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
If your device works like you want it to, there is no real reason to upgrade. Why risk it?

warriorsam
04-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks, John and everyone, I just upgraded and everything works fine, theme, apps, and all.

Also, with the upgrade my media player now lets me use the volume buttons to switch songs, instead of fumbling for the 'N' and 'P' keys in my pocket. That was a feature I always wanted. :smile: Hooray!