PDA

View Full Version : 7100i GPS Speedometer Application

BrennanU
04-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I recieved an unactivated 7100i, which was previously a Nextel phone. I do not wish to activate service, however I would simply like to use it as a speedometer. I am looking for an app with large font numbers with the speed in mph. If it had a visual one (like a car) that would be OK as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brennan

JSanders
04-12-2009, 07:50 AM
The 7100 doesn't have GPS, so you will need a GPS puck (look a the Freedom Mini device) and a application and probably a data plan to feed the data from the GPS to something visual like the speedometer.

I know TeleNav will tell me how fast I am driving.

BrennanU
04-12-2009, 08:02 AM
That is odd, because when the phone had data service, I used Blackberry maps just fine. I can still get into that if I try enough times, but the speed is very small and I have to open the app and start the GPS many times before it will work. All that I would like it to do is display the speed in text full screen.

Brennan

dc/dc
04-12-2009, 09:09 AM
That is odd, because when the phone had data service, I used Blackberry maps just fine. I can still get into that if I try enough times, but the speed is very small and I have to open the app and start the GPS many times before it will work. All that I would like it to do is display the speed in text full screen.

Brennan

The 7100i does have GPS like all recent iDEN phones do, but there is not an app that does what you want.

Dawg
04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
The 7100 doesn't have GPS, so you will need a GPS puck (look a the Freedom Mini device) and a application and probably a data plan to feed the data from the GPS to something visual like the speedometer.

I know TeleNav will tell me how fast I am driving.

Actually the 7100i does in fact have GPS and if you use BB maps it will give you the speed and it works pretty accurately. But you do need a data plan for that.

JSanders
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice, see--I can still learn things.

(I had the 7100t, no GPS on it.)

dc/dc
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice, see--I can still learn things.

(I had the 7100t, no GPS on it.)

Yeah, only the 7100i and 7130e had GPS. :)