PDA

View Full Version : Firewall impossible to turn off

dresther
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a blackberry 8330 from Verizon.

When I first purchased it, it was the best device ever. I was using it for Audible, epocrates, and normal functions like email.

But then I got on our clinics blackberry enterprise server so I could use mercury MD. My security options changed, and I was unable to use several of my favorite programs.

So, I decided to can the whole enterprise server thing. Changed my account with verizon and the IT guys at work stopped my account.

Several hard resets later, multiple runs at the options program and noone has been able to change my firewall back. Is there something that I can do about this?

Thanks.

dc/dc
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
You need to use JL_Cmder to reset the device to factory.

rambo47
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
You still have the old IT Policy on your Blackberry, even though you're no longer on the corporate BES. You need to remove this policy: Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

Jadey
04-15-2009, 06:29 AM
just to clarify rambo's post

OP, not sure what OS your handheld is on. If it is pre-4.3, replacing the current IT policy with a "blank" policy does not necessarily work. Replacing the handset IT Policy with any other IT Policy leaves fw disabled in a lot of instances.

dc/dc is right, factory reset via jl_cmdr if your device is 4.3 or higher. If not 4.3 or higher, consider OS upgrade.

takeshi
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Several hard resets later
Hard resets won't delete anything on a BB. I'm guessing you mean device wipes. A device wipe won't remove an IT policy.

hbsaeg
04-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Follow-up question regarding firewalls and BB.

I have a BlackBerry Storm, OS v 4.7., on the Telus network

Like dresther, I discovered that my hospital's IT policy is restrictive and the firewall blocks sites useful for health professionals such as ePocrates, Medscape, etc, which have clinical databases.

I took myself off the BES, used JL_Cmder with a factoryreset to disable the IT policy.

However, I still wanted to be able to synchronize my calendar with MS-Outlook, and did a synchronization via the USB cable and Desktop manager.

I was suprised to see that synchronizing the calendar via the desktop immediately reestablished the locked firewall on the BB. (Interestingly, there is no reference to IT Policy in Options/Security or Services, just the locked firewall...??)

So it appears that any communication whatsoever with the organizational network somehow reestablishes the IT firewall. Is that correct? How does that work and is there any way around it? Aside from synchronizing the calendar I have no other reason to want to be on the BES.

Further information and insight is appreciated.

Jadey
04-16-2009, 04:09 AM
If you were a BES user, and were on the BES server, your account would still be active until removed or disabled by a BES Admin. What do you mean when you say "I took myself off the BES" - are you the BES Admin?

hbsaeg
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Jadey

I think I see what is going on now. I am not the BES admin. Although the BB was new, different PIN, and I did not activate it as a BES device (used BIS when I set it up), my account must still identify me with the BES.

I have a service request in with hospital IT to solve all of this; my question was really to learn more about the system and issues I am encountering.

thanks

kjjb0204
04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Yep, if you're user name on the BES is on the device, and you hook it up on dm and you're on the corporate network, it will attempt to complete enterprise activation again and put you back on the bes.

Jadey
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
kjjb0204 has hit the nail on the head, as it were.

It would have all gone wrong the minute you connected the BB via USB to a networked PC running DM pointing at a BES. BES would have spotted your BB, and started an activation.

For all users, bear in mind that wireless EA is not the only way to setup a BB against a BES.

OP, you are right to take this to the helpdesk. They either need to take you off the BES and allow you to synch your outlook calendar via DM, or leave you on BES and assign an IT Policy which allows you to do what you need. Depending on your helpdesk, either option could be a battle.... So all the best!

Jadey
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
(Interestingly, there is no reference to IT Policy in Options/Security or Services, just the locked firewall...??)

Look in Options > Security Options > General Settings

If you see ANY reference in there to IT Policy, then one has been reapplied to your BB.