PDA

View Full Version : Please Help non BB user

supplier
04-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Folks, hello. please help as my job my depends on this.
i'm sure my question was answered before, but i'm never even touched blackberry and do not want to make any mistakes. i just a started new job in a small office and my new boss told me to connect his Verizon BB 8330 to his email and office calendar (based on MS Office 2007/Outlook 2007). he needs his emails and calendar updates, made anyone in the office, to be pushed into his BB in real time.

Our office has no server or domain, just 4 computers connected to workgroup. everyone runs MS Office 2007.

please advice what i need (what software and what data plan) in order to achieve what he need.

THANKS in advance

JSanders
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
You will need a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Service) solution for that.

If you are that small an office, look at hosted exchange service (it sounds like you don't already have MS Exchange running?).

See a vendor like ExchangeMyMail.

DacyJ
04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

I'm sorry but I don't think you can do that without a BES server. I could be wrong though. (And look at that JSanders chimes in while I was typing lol)

supplier
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
You will need a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Service) solution for that.

If you are that small an office, look at hosted exchange service (it sounds like you don't already have MS Exchange running?).

See a vendor like ExchangeMyMail.

guys, thanks a lot for such prompt answers. i'll stop by verizon store today and look into BES.

I have second question though -- in order to make BES work for what my boss needs do we must have exchange server running?? like local or remote (like exchangebymail???)

one more question: if exchange server is mandatory for BES to work, can be a work around for all my situation like:
1. mail to be forwarded to BB not in real time, but every hour (i know that my boss not going to log and check anything -- he does not have time for that and he's scared of technology)
2. can i setup local syncronization to his Outlook 2007 via BT? so everytime he will run into the office ( 2-3 times a day) he will get fresh updates of his calendar schedule...

Thanks again for detailed answers. i need to figure out my proposal about all this by Monday. :oops:

Dubdub
04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
2 more solutions:

1 Hosted BES for email (exchangeyourmail is one provider). Since you don't have an email server and probably don't manager your own domain then BES isn't really a cost effective option, especially for one user.

Use BIS for email and GoogleSync for calendar and contacts and/or Desktop Manager for same.

djm2
04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
2. can i setup local syncronization to his Outlook 2007 via BT? so everytime he will run into the office ( 2-3 times a day) he will get fresh updates of his calendar schedule...

BIS will almost certainly work for his email. Do you know if these are POP accounts, or what, that you are currently using for email. That would be pushed to him every 15 minutes -- more often if he gets frequent mail.

As for sync of address book and calender, that can be done via BT or via a cable. I doubt that it can be automated -- he'd have to remember to initiate the sync.

supplier
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
As for sync of address book and calender, that can be done via BT or via a cable. I doubt that it can be automated -- he'd have to remember to initiate the sync.

My nokia does sync automaticaly :o)

Guys,

thanks a lot for the help. i got the idea what needs to be done and will try to implement it on Monday.

All the best ,
Vlad