PDA

View Full Version : battery pulls and OS upgrades

thaKing
04-18-2009, 08:10 AM
something i've lived with for a while now is the need for battery pulls...i've just accepted it...something else i've done is upgrade the OS pretty regularly, on both mine and my wife's BB...so i don't know if one release leaks more than another...

but here's my problem...we have several friends with BBs - most are on VZW but others are on ATT...these folks have never upgraded their OS...and i doubt they've ever pulled their batteries due to memory leaks...why is it my wife and i need to do battery pulls quite regularly (not receiving pins, etc) but our friends do not run into any issue needing a pull?

my wife wants to dump BBs altogether, so you need to help me convince her to stay... :razz:

jeremyckitching
04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

Do you all run more applications than your friends? Usually memory leaks are caused by applications, not necessarilly the operating system.

thaKing
04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
i know i do - opera, viigo, bbweather, slacker and a few others...

but here's the thing, my wife doesn't run much outside the default apps...she has opera installed, but rarely uses it...she uses google maps and bbweather the most, i'd guess...and i've shown her the proper way to shutdown apps (i've even checked up on her to make sure she actually does close the app, and she does :) )

the only real difference i can see is OS upgrades...

thaKing
04-18-2009, 07:29 PM
no one else? :cry:

Dubdub
04-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Also depends upon the devices. Older BBs have less available memory than the newer ones. if you have a lot of email, texts, etc. on the device, that can use some valuable memory as well as apps. Do you have a lot of ringtones? That also eats memory big time.

I have seen a lot of gripes on the 8100 and 8300 series concerning memory leaks.

element526
04-19-2009, 07:12 AM
One thing that might help you is an application called Quick Pull. It through software simulates you pulling the battery. You can schedule it to run on its own or manually use it. I have mine set to run each night before I have the phone is set to shut off automatically. This way you start each day with a "fresh" berry.
This application is free. Just do a Google search.

thaKing
04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
@<hidden> - most are 83xx devices i'm comparing (mine and my wife's are 8300's)...others are much newer like the storm...emails and texts might be an issue, however everyone i'm comparing use the phones for both work and personal - so the difference might be minimal....maybe...i probably have the most ringtones of anyone and i have added 5 or 6...i'm betting the others have 2 or 3...just seems weird...

@<hidden> - thanks for the tip, but still doesn't solve the issue as to why we have to do battery pulls while others (who haven't done any upgrades) have not done a single battery pull...