PDA

View Full Version : Slow internet - 8703e Sprint - How can I tell if 3g, etc?

ncorrieri
04-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Hello all,

My internet on my blackberry is and always has been terribly slow. downloading things seems to take forever.

Any ideas if I can tell if its 3g, evdo, etc (status on home screen says 1XEV)?

Any ideas how I could possibly speed this pos up?

penguin3107
04-18-2009, 09:40 PM
1XEV = EVDO = 3g

You're already getting the fastest speed available on your device.

ncorrieri
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
so why is this thing so slow?

rachamphetamine
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Please watch your language.

jsconyers
04-18-2009, 11:36 PM
What are you comparing it to?

The BB Browser renders pages slow. You may be interested in trying Opera Mini and seeing if that suits your needs.

dc/dc
04-19-2009, 08:54 AM
What are you comparing it to?

The BB Browser renders pages slow. You may be interested in trying Opera Mini and seeing if that suits your needs.

Probably their laptop.

Maybe they are one of JasonSpamfield's friends?

NJBlackBerry
04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Is the 8703 EVDO Rev A? I don't use CDMA, so I don't recall.

dc/dc
04-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Is the 8703 EVDO Rev A? I don't use CDMA, so I don't recall.

No, just Rev. 0.

NJBlackBerry
04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
So the answer to the OP is that the 8703 does have slow Internet, and a newer CDMA BlackBerry, with EVDO Rev A, will be faster.

dc/dc
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
So the answer to the OP is that the 8703 does have slow Internet, and a newer CDMA BlackBerry, with EVDO Rev A, will be faster.

True, but I don't know if any BlackBerry devices have Rev. A. Maybe the Storm?

Either way, the unfortunate truth is that 3G != fast necessarily thanks to the 8703e's crappy hardware.

rachamphetamine
04-19-2009, 10:20 AM
The Storm is Rev. A, yes.

dc/dc
04-19-2009, 10:26 AM
The Storm is Rev. A, yes.

But that is the only CDMA BlackBerry to have Rev. A (3.5G) at this time correct?

ncorrieri
04-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Not comparing to my laptop, thanks for adding to your post count.

Slow is slow. This is like having a 200 baud modem that locks up and jams a lot.

Thank you for the two who said its a hardware issue, that makes sense. My att buddies never complained like i did. This hardware hardly can run a few apps at a time (where my older bb's never had issues (i think 5700) with same apps, just older versions of course). 4.2+ on this hardware definately slowed things down.

SO storm is only one with RevA? How is browsing capabilities. I want to defect from sprint, but I hate how ATT nickle and dimes everything. Although it seems like every time I call sprint for an issue, they mess up 3 more things.

So do any of the att phones have sluggish browsers, etc?

dc/dc
04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Not comparing to my laptop, thanks for adding to your post count.

Slow is slow. This is like having a 200 baud modem that locks up and jams a lot.

Thank you for the two who said its a hardware issue, that makes sense. My att buddies never complained like i did. This hardware hardly can run a few apps at a time (where my older bb's never had issues (i think 5700) with same apps, just older versions of course). 4.2+ on this hardware definately slowed things down.

SO storm is only one with RevA? How is browsing capabilities. I want to defect from sprint, but I hate how ATT nickle and dimes everything. Although it seems like every time I call sprint for an issue, they mess up 3 more things.

So do any of the att phones have sluggish browsers, etc?

You have some interesting opinions.

at&t doesn't do near as much nickel and diming as Verizon does (the only place from which you can get a Storm).

Dubdub
04-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Speed depends upon several factors outside your control. Some of these are:

The device itself and device memory. The 8700 isn't the fasted one out there compared to the newer ones, but it shoudl be OK.

Your distance tot he tower and tower congestion. Generally voice has priority over data.

The connection itself.

But I guess I also need to know what are you comparing it with? EVDO and 3G devices generally average between 400 and 900 kbps. Many web sites aren't setup for mobile browsing so that adds to the slow speed issue. As suggested, Opera Mini may make things seem to load faster.

ncorrieri
04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Im sure theres a compounded problem. My memory is almost always sucked up from the few thousand emails on it (damn spam)

The device itself will chug if i have 2 apps open. Such as google talk + google maps (with GPS turned off). I wont be able to type, etc, just all around slow. Never had these issues pre 4.2 on this device.

Thanks for hint on storm. I have been out of BB loop for years. I am currently with sprint. Vz was crazy expensive. Sprint at the time (4 yrs ago) had best coverage in rural, northern Minnesota. However, I am debating ATT.

Also debating what BB if I do purchase an att contract to test the phones out. I thought about iphone to have better web browing, but how IM's work on them turned me away. I really loath Palm. So is there a more web friendly BB phone out there now? I hate losing a ton of money because my bb browser doesnt support XX so i cant login to my brokers site to place a trade when citibank is crashing, yet again. And no, I dont want to use etrade just for the bb app.

FOXTROTTER
04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
HTTP error 403 forbidden u ar not authorized to view this page please try loading a diffrent page (why do i get this message ?? (dklein97@<hidden>)

jsconyers
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Are you on a BES?