PDA

View Full Version : treo tries to compete....

motorsport96
11-08-2005, 12:19 AM
anyone see this? obviously aimed twards the 8700!

http://www.treocentral.com/windowsmobile/

b00st3d
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
windows mobile is way too buggy and so is the treo in general...

Aroc
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, but Windows Mobile for the Treo is probably a good direction for that platform. Stability should improve, but then again most of us thought that would also happen from the 600-->650 refresh last year. For now, I will stick with RIM devices, as so will my company.

And as for the statement of the Treo700 aimed at the RIM8700, actually I think it's the other way around! But still it's a good move for RIM, IMO. Bring it on.

motorsport96
11-08-2005, 03:44 PM
BB for life!

b00st3d
11-08-2005, 04:03 PM
friend has a treo 650 and has to reboot it weekly (sometimes it reboots itself)

barjohn
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I have experience with WM5 and it appears to be very stable. I have not noticed any reboots or other serious issues. It should make a big improvement to the Treo.

map
11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I have experience with WM5 and it appears to be very stable. I have not noticed any reboots or other serious issues. It should make a big improvement to the Treo.

So John, is it stable enough to cause you to consider dropping your BB device for the Treo 700 when it becomes available on your carrier? As much as I like the BB and am looking forward to the 8700t, there is something intriguing about the Treo that makes me wonder if it might not be the better device.

barjohn
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
No, but it isn't because of the OS. It is the form factor and keyboard. I don't find the Treo keyboard easy to type on and thus tend to avoid responding to emails. This kind of defeats the point of having a keyboard in the first place. I found carrying a treo uncomfortable too as it is just not a comfortable size to me. I would say the same about the HP HW6510. Surprisingly, the Sprint PPC 6700 is easier to carry and I think easier to use overall. I'm sure there are other people that feel just the opposite. No one has more ergonomic keyboards than BB, in my opinion. The new screen also helps and now they have a real processor too.

aristobrat
11-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Same experience on WM5 stability and thought about the Treo's future with WM on it. 8-)

jimn367
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Relaibility and cheap plastic aside - I like the old treo form factor. They could do away with the plastic flip lid, but I like the slightly larger screen and the larger keyboard. I also like the 7750 form factor.

I like the form factor of the new HP. I haven't investgated the ergoniomics of the User Interface.

Mark Rejhon
11-08-2005, 11:12 PM
windows mobile is way too buggy and so is the treo in general...Two years ago, PalmOS was more stable. This is NOT the case anymore, unfortunately...

Windows Mobile is an improvement over PalmOS. I have access to several versions and it's amazing how much more stable Windows Mobile has become over Palm in recent incarnations, as long as some rules are followed...

The OS has its own disadvantages, but it has other advantages too -- It's also much more multitask-friendly.

I predict Treo 700 is probably going to be a very significant improvement in stability over Treo 650. I'd bet the whole bank on it, based on my multiplatform handheld experience. I have access to dozens of handheld computers where I work.

AlbertoM
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
friend has a treo 650 and has to reboot it weekly (sometimes it reboots itself)
It's not a bug, it's a feature! The Auto RebootŪ v.1.34. :razz:

Boy Genius
11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I have to say if your into windows mobile, and can deal with activesync the treo700 is incredible! Keyboard is really good, nothing like a blackberry but definatly the most usuable of any treo, and the EV-DO is crazy! Download a full song in a about 5-6 seconds, device is fast, no lags, but windows mobile still not as stable as blackberry thats why i can never switch nothing can compete. Treo 700 just sits in the corner all alone in my office

anthonymoody
11-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey Boygenius,
Would you please pretty please post some pix of the Treo 650 (or 700 if that's all you have) side by side, stacked, etc? I'm a T650 user thinking of switching to the 8700 (TMo though, not Cingular) and would love to see the form factor side by side.

Also, I'm in NYC too so if an in person look is possible I'm game.

TIA
TM

barjohn
11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
BG, since you have now been using the device longer than most, how are you finding the keyboard. Has your speed picked up? Do you make fewer or more mistakes than you made with a 7290? How about with the Treo 700?

tcugrilla
11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Someone switching to a device that runs windows mobile for stability is akin to someone loving terrell owens because he is a team player.

aristobrat
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
And usually (although not always) someone commenting about Windows Mobile 5's stability means that they haven't used a WM 5 device and are assuming it's just as buggy as Windows XP (which it isn't). :)

tcugrilla
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
our office tried the windows devices as a group and could not wait to return them.

masonfoley
11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
our office tried the windows devices as a group and could not wait to return them.

There could be a number of reasons to turn away a solution. It's not always about stability of the platform. Could be the software packages didn't deliver as advertised (read: software is not the same as the platform). I think it's important to note the distinction.

Windows Mobile (WM5) and PalmOS apparently are going in opposite directions in terms of perceived quality and stability. There has been growing criticism of the PALM OS (particularly version 5, Garnet, I think it's called). When you put that together with the fact that Palm has decided to partner with Microsoft, it's hard not to come to some conclusion that Palm has somewhat conceded the platform of the immediate future leans towards Windows Mobile. At the very least they are going through this trouble because they believe WM5 is somewhat of a growth opporunity.

Palm used to rule with simplicity and rock-solid stability but it appears they succumbed to the pressure to be all things to all geeks and have overloaded the system with a variety of nuts and bolts. My theory is Windows Mobile started out this way and perhaps were ahead of Palm, through 5+ iterations, of getting all of the features into a more stable platform over time. Palm has tried to do this in approximately two years in catch up mode. Apparently that isn't the best way to go about it.

aristobrat
11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Had somewhat similiar experiences here. We gave our C-level folks (and some VPs that we liked) some Windows Mobile devices in the past. They loved the old T-Mobile Pocket PC, but hated the Samsung i700. Both those devices ran almost the same build of Windows Mobile.

You see the exact same thing here with BlackBerrys. Some people HATE the 7100 series BlackBerry but love the 7200 series. There's a lot more in play than just the OS when it comes down to if people really like a device.

Boy Genius
11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Exactly thats a good point. I gave away my treo 650, but have a lot of devices here I will take some pictures and post them side by side wth the 8700. Keyboard is definatly workable. Still not as good as 7290 but almost there, 90%.

anthonymoody
11-10-2005, 04:01 PM
TIA for the pix boygenius. If you could include the Treo 700 (or someone else's 650 :)) too that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
TM

jibi
11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
TIA for the pix boygenius. If you could include the Treo 700 (or someone else's 650 :)) too that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
TM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=18830