PDA

View Full Version : Updated BDM 4.7, now sync boots desktop offline

cart0181
04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Hello all! :smile:
First, just let me say I'm sure glad I found this place and it's great you guys exist. Forums like this are so essential or we'd be left dealing with dreaded customer service departments. (y)

Background:
Pearl 8130 (Verizon)
Windows XP SP3
P4 @<hidden> 2.4GHz
1.5 GB RAM
Charter Security Suite (F-Secure)
Outlook 2003

The problem started about the time I upgraded to Desktop Manager 4.7 from 4.3. I clicked the "check for updates" link from within the software (on home page, bottom right corner). It took me to the strange RIM website where I eventually found the 4.7 download "ENG without Media Manager." After entering some false information (why do they ask all that stuff anyway?) I finally had my download on my desktop. I installed the update, I noticed it was checking for previously installed versions, so that seemed to be a good sign, then it said it was all installed successfully. I restarted the PC and tried to sync up for the first time. One of the options was to check for updates for the device, so I said okay. It proceeded to perform a somewhat lengthy process of installing what appeared to be the latest firmware and/or application updates for the device which were all listed as version 4.5. It had a total of 11 processes to go through and #8 was the longest. It turned off the radio for the device before installing the updates, then turned it back on at the end. It gave the message that everything had been performed successfully. I proceeded to try and sync for the first time, but at the end it gave a message "you must be connected to the internet to set up the first sync" or something like that. I was thinking, "What? I know I'm online." But then I checked and, sure enough, I was unable to browse the internet. I had been disconnected. At first, I didn't think much of it, so I rebooted to see if I could get back online. I couldn't! Now it seems the only way to get back online is if I un-dock the BB, remove my wireless USB adapter from my PC, then plug it back in again. When I do this, Windows will re-detect the adapter and I will be able to connect to the internet and browse normally. What is going on here? Any ideas? Please HELP!!! :?

alb123
04-25-2009, 11:31 AM
go into OPTIONS > ADVANCED OPTIONS > HOST ROUTING TABLE ..

then press the BB MENU button - select REGISTER NOW

sounds like Service Books were screwed up....

or, you can login to Verizon's BIS page and select "Re-send Service Books" from the website....

ALB

cart0181
04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi alb123, thanks for the response.
Okay, I found the menu option you were talking about. (once I realized I was supposed to be looking on the phone itself and not the BDM software on the PC).
I selected the REGISTER NOW option, and it seemed to work successfully. It sent, and a minute later it received a registration complete message. However, the same symptoms persist as in my original post, so this did not solve the problem. :-(

I want to make sure I was clear:

I have cable internet on my desktop PC.
My PC connects to my router wirelessly through a USB WiFi adapter
The PC loses its internet connection as soon as the handset is connected.
I am currently not able to sync the phone to the desktop because of the error message indicating I must be connected to the internet to perform the first sync.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? It was working fine before.

cart0181
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay, it looks like I've got it resolved now. It looks like the problem was caused by one or two things:

Charter Security Suite (F-secure) Firewall was blocking something
BDM 4.7 was the wrong build #, it needed to be from the Verizon website, THEN re-download firmware to the phone

I have no idea which was responsible for the problem, but my hunch is it had something to do with flashing the firmware to the phone from the incorrect version of BDM (downloaded from the BB site directly the first time).

I've worked with the Charter Security Suite for a long time and I've never seen it cause something like this. Usually, it will pop up a window if an application has changed since it was allowed access to the internet.