PDA

View Full Version : GPS on blackberry 8800

quentinsingapore
04-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi BB community,

First of all, thank you for helping out on my first difficulty with my new BB 8800.
And for those who are not receiving their emails in the first 20 min of the set up, all they need to do is contact their service provider, as sometime the system get stuck. They will reset ur request and then u just need to take of ur sim. put it back innd your all set :o)

Anyway, my request today concerns the GPS on BB 8800? I have found it in my advanced option, but I thought it would be a proper GPS where you can see the street and roads as we do with the normal GPS... This one just tells u where you are located, latitude, etc... but to be honest this is not very usefull isn't it?
Is there an application that need to be downloaded so I can have the streets and roads as any normal GPS?

once again, for those who help, thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Quentin :smile:

MidnightDraven
04-26-2009, 05:36 AM
I have no idea if the 8800 comes with BB maps or whether you have to download it.
Also google maps.

Dubdub
04-26-2009, 07:25 AM
You need a map application to make the lat/long GPS data useful. I recommend GoogleMaps or BBMaps. Both are free and are OK. Not the greatest for true vehicle navigation ad they both do not have turn by turn voice or auto reroute.

Check out our GPA & Maps section. There is a sticky at the top that has a great review of most of the map applications available for the BB.

hrbuckley
04-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Bold)

My 8800 (Rogers) had BB Maps pre-loaded, but some carriers block the Service Book needed so they can charge users for something else. I second Google maps is great, nice search feature, and it's free.

takeshi
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I have found it in my advanced option, but I thought it would be a proper GPS where you can see the street and roads as we do with the normal GPS...
That's just the Options screen for the GPS. If you note, there are no true apps under Options. ;-)