PDA

View Full Version : Loss of wifi functionality after sim change

schmiddy_sr
04-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I've got a Rogers BB Bold that I unlocked prior to heading overseas for the summer, while maintaining my Rogers account/BIS. However, after replacing the Rogers SIM with one from Vodafone UK, the data services (through wifi) started acting up, even if I replaced the original rogers card.

I'm not interested in 3g data access (not here long enough to bother with it, unless its far easier than I thought)

I've switched the default browser to 'Hotspot Browser' from "vodafone live!" and that seems to allow me to browse via wifi when connected.. but my emails / google apps, etc don't connect. In the reading I've done it seems like I need to change my APN settings or something, but can't figure it out exactly.

Surely its just a simple change that the Vodafone sim caused in the phone - any assistance would be appreciated!

takeshi
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Have you tried resending service books? It sounds like Voda may have pushed or altered your existing service books from what you're describing.

schmiddy_sr
04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's done through the Rogers online BIS website, right?

hrbuckley
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
If you have a Vodafone Blackberry Data Plan (the only way I can see them pushing service books to you) You should be able to set up your mail on their BIS.

Sounds like you just got a simple plan with data for your trip over their. No problem, entering their APN should get you direct TCP access again. And you can of course use the Hotsptop browser on wi-fi.

I don't think you will be able to get your BIS email, or use wi-fi via the Blackberry infrastructure without a sim that has a Blackberry Data plan. So if your Vodafone is a simple data plan, and you want to get your Roger BIS email, you may have to put the Rogers sim in, perhaps resending service books to fix up any weirdness. Do it with a Wi-Fi connection to keep roaming changes down.

Does this make sense?