PDA

View Full Version : Need some help "hacking" an 8830

nerys
04-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I guess hacking might not be the right word but its close.

I am finding out I really like this phone. Love the form factor love the battery life love the slacker program.

its got some issues but overall I love it.

One thing thats driving me nuts. The bluetooth. It might as well not be there its so damned crippled. I want to hack bypass convert whatever.

I can not send my contacts to my 8830
I can not send mp3's to my 8830
I can not send my jpg's to my 8830

I can not send ANYTHING to my 8830. what gives with this?
People say security I say garbage.

is there a 3rd party app that will link into the Bluetooth and let me RECIEVE these things?

the contacts is a real pain but at least I only have to do that once (still have not broken down to do it yet grrrrrr 84 frelling contacts not looking forward to that)

but the flicking files back and forth. Thats something I do almost daily. I can not believe there is no way to do this on such a nice phone.

suggestions?

Now its odd the 8830 says it has push and what not.

but my phones show "no services available" for the BB and they can not browse it either. They can see it for pairing they can pair but THAT'S IT.

I notice security is settable to either high or high plus encryption

how do I make security low or OFF ? maybe that will allow object push?

suggestions?

thanks!

daphne
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Does this device belong to you personally or was it issued to you by your employer? I ask because if your BB is owned by your company you probably cannot change the security settings because they are controlled by the BES admin.

For transfering with bluetooth:
Transfer files / media via Bluetooth - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Transfer_files_/_media_via_Bluetooth)

However you cannot transfer contacts that way. You can sync contacts with Outlook using Desktop Manager.
You can also transfer music and pictures from your PC to the media card and vice-versa using Windows Explorer.
How do I add media files to my microSD card? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_add_media_files_to_my_microSD_card%3F)

nerys
04-29-2009, 01:10 AM
I own it. its a personal 8830 I got off ebay. nothing commercial. I will try the file transfer. annoying but at least it works (very happy!)

if I am at a computer its already easy to put media on it I wanted to be able swap media phone to phone so I will try the above method.

So how do I get my contacts on the phone WITHOUT outlook and without having to type them all over again? is there no way to do that? even a 3rd party app?

thanks for the reply! worst case at least I can transfer files. also can I BACKUP the contacts from the BB to the Desktop software and then REUPLOAD that later to the BB or to a new BB down the road? (at least I will only have to do it once if that works)

wingrider78
04-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Was it new off ebay?? If not, your device could still have an IT policy on it from the previous owner...just do a quick search on "remove it policy" and see if that helps.

Go to
Options
Security options
General options

Look under serices, if there is something there, you have an IT policy that can and should be removed since its a personal device.

southwestcomm
04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Where are your contacts now? In another BB or a different phone? If they are in a BB simply use the Device Switch Wizard in the Desktop Software. If they are in a different phone take both to a Sprint service center and the can transfer to them. Always use the Desktop software to backup your device to your computer.

You can simply transfer media files to the BB using the USB cable.

I own it. its a personal 8830 I got off ebay. nothing commercial. I will try the file transfer. annoying but at least it works (very happy!)

if I am at a computer its already easy to put media on it I wanted to be able swap media phone to phone so I will try the above method.

So how do I get my contacts on the phone WITHOUT outlook and without having to type them all over again? is there no way to do that? even a 3rd party app?

thanks for the reply! worst case at least I can transfer files. also can I BACKUP the contacts from the BB to the Desktop software and then REUPLOAD that later to the BB or to a new BB down the road? (at least I will only have to do it once if that works)

nerys
04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
No services under that section its called General Settings on my end not General Options but I assume its the same thing.

no password and under services it says *** no services ***

The usb cable is a non starter. I could always do that but now I have to tell my brother sister friend wait lets stop go over to my house and connect to the computer so I can send the files

hehe kind of kills it don't it :-)

file transfer is KIND of working. I can send and recieve files from the media player.

BUT my phone is NOT properly reporting its SERVICES to other phones. For example I paired with my brothers R450 messenger from metro pcs. I can send him a file but he CAN NOT send me a file because his phone reports MY blackberries "services" as none supported (yet I do have object push checked heck I check everything just to make sure)

but it does NOT show up that way on his end so he does not even have a SEND option at all to send me anything.

is there no way to hack or REPLACE the BT stack to something more conventional? or to eliminate or turn off the security or something.

no IT policies. I have never been "stopped" from doing anything. when I installed the DM it asked it I wanted to update the phone's OS I said ok sure and it did it (4.5.135 I believe it whats on it now)

The contacts are on another NON blackberry phone. the 8830 is my first blackberry.

its insane that such a simple commonplace function seems impossible on this device. every phone I have ever owned that has bluetooth has the ability to do this from $20 disposables to $400 PDA's

what possible security risk can RECEIVING a contact be? (the 8830 has the option to SEND contacts but not receive)

Motorcycle Mama
04-30-2009, 06:13 AM
You need to stop use the word "hack". There's no hacking.

As far as Bluetooth file transfers, with the BlackBerry ANY TIME you want to receive a file on the BlackBerry, you MUST initiate the transfer FROM the BlackBerry receiving the file. That's the only way. Media > Menu > Receive Using Bluetooth

As indicated above, you cannot receive contacts that way, though. Have you tried other methods such as Google Sync or Yahoo since you don't want to do it with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

nerys
04-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Well I did an awful lot of "hacking" on the winmo phone to make it do things etc.. so its applicable even if not to this specific phone thats why I said hack/replace/eliminate ie I am open to all options.

the media player thing only sometimes works because the phone does NOT properly reports its available services to the other phones.

Unless my phones SAYS to the other phone ON PAIRING hey I can receive object push the other phone will not even let you "try" to push. Some phones are more "lax" on this and will try anyway. Example my sisters Biline was able to send me a file. My brothers Messenger was not says no services available so it did not even try.

as for contacts. Is there some way to do it with the DM that does not require outlook? (with outlook I would have to #1 install unwanted outlook and #2 manually enter all 84 of my contacts. if thats the case I can just manually enter them in the phone and SKIP outlook I am trying to find an automated way.)

ie how do I get my contacts from my sanyo or my lg INTO the desktop manager?

Dubdub
04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
This isn't a WinMo device so don't expect it to be. Not much hacking to be done with a BB.

As for syncing contacts, try Googlesync for contacts.

You don't move contacts into DM. You would need to sync contacts from you old device to either Outlook or Outlook Express, then sync with the BB.

Windows Live might also be an option, but I do recall several problems with that. Also maybe Yahoo. You'd need to do a search and see what you find.

nerys
04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
well thats not an option since I don't think there is anyway to sync contacts from a regular proprietary OS phone into outlook or google sync. Now I think I have a CSV from the sanyo so that might work. Grrr very annoying. Hopefully once CONSUMERS start buying BB's either #1 massive hacking shall begin or #2 BB's will make it more friendly to the needs and desires of consumer users. ie less restrictive. I still do not see a security aspect to preventing this from working.

as for hacking a bb now? been there done that. "hacks" are how I got the BBB working without BIS and a service book send from sprint. (I have zero need for push anything so zero need to pay them $30 for what is precisely Just that. nothing but push otherwise BIS is exactly what I have now Power Vision)

Another option is a third party program specifically for bluetooth. Is there a bluetooth explorer app anywhere? if I can "browse" other phones it should be simple at that point to send or receive a file while browsing.

OR how to I tell the 8830 to broadcast its services properly?

Dawg
04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
sounds like you may need to go back to winmo since you like to "hack". The BB is a secure device thats why the bluetooth is crippled as you say.

From reading everything you have posted you def have the wrong device for your expectations.

southwestcomm
04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Take your phone to a Sprint store. They have the ability to transfer the contacts over.

Well I did an awful lot of "hacking" on the winmo phone to make it do things etc.. so its applicable even if not to this specific phone thats why I said hack/replace/eliminate ie I am open to all options.

the media player thing only sometimes works because the phone does NOT properly reports its available services to the other phones.

Unless my phones SAYS to the other phone ON PAIRING hey I can receive object push the other phone will not even let you "try" to push. Some phones are more "lax" on this and will try anyway. Example my sisters Biline was able to send me a file. My brothers Messenger was not says no services available so it did not even try.

as for contacts. Is there some way to do it with the DM that does not require outlook? (with outlook I would have to #1 install unwanted outlook and #2 manually enter all 84 of my contacts. if thats the case I can just manually enter them in the phone and SKIP outlook I am trying to find an automated way.)

ie how do I get my contacts from my sanyo or my lg INTO the desktop manager?

southwestcomm
04-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Without the $30 plan good luck getting anything to work on the device.

I think you need to find a different phone...

well thats not an option since I don't think there is anyway to sync contacts from a regular proprietary OS phone into outlook or google sync. Now I think I have a CSV from the sanyo so that might work. Grrr very annoying. Hopefully once CONSUMERS start buying BB's either #1 massive hacking shall begin or #2 BB's will make it more friendly to the needs and desires of consumer users. ie less restrictive. I still do not see a security aspect to preventing this from working.

as for hacking a bb now? been there done that. "hacks" are how I got the BBB working without BIS and a service book send from sprint. (I have zero need for push anything so zero need to pay them $30 for what is precisely Just that. nothing but push otherwise BIS is exactly what I have now Power Vision)

Another option is a third party program specifically for bluetooth. Is there a bluetooth explorer app anywhere? if I can "browse" other phones it should be simple at that point to send or receive a file while browsing.

OR how to I tell the 8830 to broadcast its services properly?

e1000
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
your device has a lingering IT policy. Lookup how to remove it and it should work fine.