PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm about to get caught...

BuzzBuzz
04-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Curve 8310)

My company doesn't allow access to BES for personal BB use, but I installed DM for outlook sync and redirector on the DL. Now I'm about to get assigned a company bb on BES and I'm afraid my outlook account being associated with my personal bb is about to be painfully obvious to the BES admin. How can I ditch the evidence? I don't wanna get fired!!!

dc/dc
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
LOL. Sorry.

murpheous
04-29-2009, 08:17 AM
you weren't accessing the bes, so whats the problem?

BuzzBuzz
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM

I wasn't supposed to be installing software on my own either

BuzzBuzz
04-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Murpheus can I make a case that DM is safe? Or does anyone possibly have a link or documentation supporting DM and DR are safe alternatives to BES access? Maybe I can present a proposal and get the ok for DM use then it will be ok...right?

akosnitzky
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I am missing something, what do you actually have for them to see? Do you have another BB acct?

takeshi
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Uninstall Redirector/DM.

Now I'm about to get assigned a company bb on BES and I'm afraid my outlook account being associated with my personal bb is about to be painfully obvious to the BES admin.
How? Redirector has nothing to do with the BES.

You don't have an Outlook account. You have an Exchange account. Outlook's just a mail client.

BuzzBuzz
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Akosnitsky I have a personal bb on bis and I'm using it to access my work stuff using DM sync and DR. Maybe I'm the one who's missing something. Is this a smaller deal than I'm making it out to be? Takeshi if I uninstall DM does that disassociate my PIN and IMEI from my outlook account? I don't mean to panic, but I'm afraid! I know, I shouldn't have done it in the 1st place :( but I did!

Thatzmister2u
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Akosnitsky I have a personal bb on bis and I'm using it to access my work stuff using DM sync and DR. Maybe I'm the one who's missing something. Is this a smaller deal than I'm making it out to be? Takeshi if I uninstall DM does that disassociate my PIN and IMEI from my outlook account? I don't mean to panic, but I'm afraid! I know, I shouldn't have done it in the 1st place :( but I did!

Just uninstall it. Delete all service books for [desktop] and do a battery pull then ask them to do the Enterprise Activation. You will be ok.

E-

Kopter
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
May I just say that I LOVE this place.
Clearly the OP was on the ledge ready to jump and the responses and the expedience therein really was quite fantastic!

An added benefit.... a shot across the job security bow for everyone who reads this thread (all 92 views as of this moment.) and that is... if your IT folks say don't do it..well then... DON'T !
Personally, I need to control the things at my place of employment that I can control... in order to stay employed. One of them is trying not to piss-off my IT admins. I don't agree with some of their policies but I 'get it' and I really do agree with receiving a paycheck.
Just my two cents..... soapbox BACK under my desk...

CO_BBTechie
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I do find it perhaps tantalizing for you, given that you obviously have no restrictions against installing software on your system, yet are told you cannot do so. We do restrict that for our users. They must have admin rights to do pretty much anything out of their day-to-day duties.

In the environment that you were retrieving your corporate mail, there was no link to the BES as was said, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few breadcrumbs around that tell your tale... suffice it to say you'll be better off not to test the limits of their detection abilities in the future.

MichaelZ
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Have no fear BUZZ BUZZ. Your new admin will connect your device via BES to their own server or a email hosting co. The fact that you have DM means nothing and you can simply uninstall it from your PC to be reinstalled at a leter time if you choose. What you SHOULD do is: add your (I assume) POP account into your Outlook as a sub account using the work email to send as default. Keep your POP account seperate on the device using BIS and DM to sync and the work email as BES using the Enterprise server to sync. Nobody can or will say anything about this type of configuration.