PDA

View Full Version : 8830 we unlock problems

jeubank3
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
i got an altell 8830 we from work b/c when they joined with verizon the rep told us they might as well be thrown in the river. i'm trying to unlock it with mml and have the hang of the software, i think, but when i try to hook it up i get this error message:

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

i have no idea what is going on with it. i tried using the apploader to upgrade the os thinking it may do something, and i have also wiped it from the unit, but i still get the same message. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
james

dc/dc
04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
CDMA devices do not get unlocked.

What exactly would you like to do with it?

jeubank3
04-29-2009, 08:11 PM
i was going to try to use it on my at&T account, but i know that won't work. now i am trying to convert it to sprint for a buddy or at least get it unlocked just on principle:wink:. do you say it cannot be unlocked? can it be switched to another carrier?

sandsjh
04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
You can unlock the 8830WE at HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center (http://horizonwirelessonline.com) . Use the Live Support.

===============
8830 FAQ - Read First - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/8830-faq-read-first-3308/)
Q.) Can I unlock the 8830 to be used on ATT (cingular) or T-Mobile?
A.) NO. The 8830’s GSM operates in the 900 / 1800 Mhz band where as T-Mo and AT&T use 850 / 1900 in the united states. You can not do ANYTHING to make this work. If you want a 8800 series, buy the 8800 or 8820 which is GSM.
=============
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Blackberry 8830 can't be used as GSM? (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1383309)

...since mine doesn't say Blackberry 8830 IR that it wouldn't work at all even with a sim card as a GSM...

There is a model RIM8830IR. The original 8830 was only compatible with the TravlComm sim card. The IR version will work the a sim card now provided by alltel.

There are two versions, the 8830 will roam outside the US/Canada via a seperate number/sim card purchased elsewhere. The 8830IR will roam internationally using your ALLTEL number via a special sim card provided only by Alltel and the roaming charges will appear on your Alltel bill. (one number, one bill, one voicemail)

jsconyers
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
i was going to try to use it on my at&T account, but i know that won't work. now i am trying to convert it to sprint for a buddy or at least get it unlocked just on principle:wink:. do you say it cannot be unlocked? can it be switched to another carrier?

The 8830 will not work on North American GSM frequencies. Furthermore, most CDMA carriers will not allow devices other than their own on their network. For example Verizon will only allow Verizon devices on their network, the same goes for Sprint as well.