PDA

View Full Version : 2 @ carriers emais on 1 blackberry

Peppe
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Is it possible to have multiple @<hidden> emails address coming to 1 blackberry?

Our company is on Exchange 2007 and we cannot configure our BB with web outlook OWA....somehow they have blocked it. So are company emails are forward to our balckberry email address, so i dont have my bb email anymore.

So I was wondering if i create a new bb email can I get 2 @<hidden> emails on 1 bb.

Thanks

CO_BBTechie
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
You get one address per BIS account. Honestly I don't even know why you're using one of them. They aren't the best address to use, as there is NO spam filtering, and no means to check the mail other than on your BlackBerry.

You'd be much better off using a Yahoo email account IMO.

jmwking
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Will your company let you set up a third party email address? You can have multiple email accounts (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.) and keep them all separate on a blackberry.

-jk

Peppe
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Our work emails are auto forwarded to the bb email address. We are not allowed to have personal email accounts on the bb, so the bb email was my only option.

Everything was ok, till we got switched to exchange this week....now i cant configure my work email on the bb anymore :(

jmwking
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Well, I guess they have you over a barrel. Don't get yourself fired over it!

Can you text? Most carriers have an email address version of the phone number, but you're stuck with very short or fragmented messages.

Do they let you browse the internet unencumbered? You could use the browser to get to the web mail portal of an email service.

All workarounds, for sure, but it's their phone and their rules.

-jk

CO_BBTechie
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Our work emails are auto forwarded to the bb email address. We are not allowed to have personal email accounts on the bb, so the bb email was my only option.

Apparently they are not considering the BB email account to be personal in nature, though it definitely is. I would suggest to them that you already have a personal address on the device (@<hidden>) and that adding a second one isn't breaking any rule that hasn't already been broken.

Peppe
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
So can it be done?

CO_BBTechie
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
So can it be done?

Yes, in fact, you may have up to 10 personal email accounts on a BlackBerry. This is in addition to a corporate account if you have one, so it can hold 11.

Peppe
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
So how do i add a 2nd @<hidden> email address to the account??

CO_BBTechie
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
So how do i add a 2nd @<hidden> email address to the account??

You only get 1 of those as I stated. Unless you'd like to add someone else's.

You can add up to 10 personal email accounts, but you only get one @<hidden> email with your BIS service.

Peppe
04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
umm ok.

So if i go an "create an account" on the bis, this will give me another carriers email. Can i then hook this up to the device? So 2 bis on 1 blackberry?

CO_BBTechie
04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
umm ok.

So if i go an "create an account" on the bis, this will give me another carriers email. Can i then hook this up to the device? So 2 bis on 1 blackberry?

Yes but you need to have an account in mind when you do this. For example, you may add a Gmail account, or a Yahoo account. You need to have this email already, as one will not be created for you by way of adding the information to the BIS. The one email that you are entitled to as a BIS account holder, has already been created. You can add other personal accounts however.

MidnightDraven
04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
You cannot create an account on another carrier's BIS site.
you need to ADD a personal account i.e. gmail, hotmail, yahoo, to your current BIS account.

JSanders
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes but you need to have an account in mind when you do this. For example, you may add a Gmail account, or a Yahoo account. You need to have this email already, as one will not be created for you by way of adding the information to the BIS. The one email that you are entitled to as a BIS account holder, has already been created. You can add other personal accounts however.

You cannot create an account on another carrier's BIS site.
you need to ADD a personal account i.e. gmail, hotmail, yahoo, to your current BIS account.

Ditto. You can not have two carrier email accounts (each is connected to a specific PIN number and your device only as one PIN).

Setup a separate personal account with gmail, etc.

kjjb0204
04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Not sure I understand something here - it's a corporate device, yes? And they won't allow you to put personal email accounts on the bb, yes? Then why did they give you a corporate bb, but not allow you to hook up on corporate email?

Peppe
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Not sure I understand something here - it's a corporate device, yes? And they won't allow you to put personal email accounts on the bb, yes? Then why did they give you a corporate bb, but not allow you to hook up on corporate email?

Our corporate email is on the device. The email is forward to the bb device email...so the bb only has 1 email, with is the work email.....but i liked having the device email as well.

When I had the 2 sepertate...device email and work email, I was able to synch it so when i delete from outlook it would del off the BB...I can't do that no more.

kjjb0204
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Our corporate email is on the device. The email is forward to the bb device email...so the bb only has 1 email, with is the work email.....but i liked having the device email as well.

When I had the 2 sepertate...device email and work email, I was able to synch it so when i delete from outlook it would del off the BB...I can't do that no more.
so they want you to have access to work email, but won't give you bes or owa access? that's stupid.

Peppe
04-30-2009, 09:23 PM
owa access doesnt work.....i've read and read about 100 post on different forums, blackberry site, and it wont configure the email and the server........some how our emails are direct directly to the bb, i dont even know how to remove it if i go on holidays, lol.

Spawneh
04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
If you want to try and resolve your issues around your OWA integration you could look at this document.

BIS Server Port Access Requirements: KB11036

hope it helps

TXLady
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
If the problem is with your company email on the device, then you need to work with your company IT department to resolve it.

If you are using the blackberry email address for personal email, then they apparently have blocked that and you won't be able to do it anymore.

Peppe
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
read it a couple of times and some other post with the same info, but honestly not really sure i understand it.

can you explain

TXLady
05-01-2009, 09:24 AM
read it a couple of times and some other post with the same info, but honestly not really sure i understand it.

can you explain

If you are having trouble understanding us, perhaps we are not understanding your exact problem. Please re-state the problem you are trying to resolve and whether it pertains to your work email or your personal email. Then let us clarify from there.

Peppe
05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
ok I try to explain again:

Our email has been switched from regular outlook 2007 to be used with exchange 2007. When we were on just outlook 2007 i was able to configure my work email on my bb ( same way you wld with gmail / yahoo, etc ). This allowed me to have the device email free to use for personal stuff, since we are not allowed to have gmail / yahoo on the devices. BB email wasnt considered personal.

Now that we are switched to exchange 2007 I can not configure my work email on my bb anymore, BIS cant access OWA to configure. Instead the company as taken our work email and forwarded it to the device email. So now i have no device email as this is now my work email.

So i wanted to add another device email to the device so i wld still have a free email and if they ever checked the account they wouldnt see anything but work email and device email.

Sooo now it was posted to check the bis ports, as that may be a way of accessing the owa, but no such luck as i don't understand that part.

hrbuckley
05-01-2009, 11:49 AM
OK, the way your company is handling email is silly1. There is really no difference between the way the xxx@<hidden> address is handled, and the way POP/IMAP BIS email is handled, except on the xxx@<hidden> the mail server is hidden and you don't get storage so once the mail is gone from the blackberry it's gone (though it would still be on the Exchange server), and the SPAM filtering is (IMO) way sub standard. Why they would let you get personal email at the carrier address, but not use the BIS to configure a personal POP/IMAP account is beyond me.

Given that they seem to be OK with you using the device for personal mail (lots of discussions about the wisdom of that on both sides around here), can you install a third party application to access personal mail with? There is a GMail app for Blackberry, and LogicMail works very well for POP/IMAP/SMTP access.

Any idea why, given that they are going to be supporting a M$ Exchange server, and already have Blackberries deployed, they haven't also gone to BES?

---------
1I can say this cause it is similar to the way we are handling email at the moment :-(

CO_BBTechie
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
...and the SPAM filtering is (IMO) way sub standard.

Actually it's non-existent. This is the poorest choice for email delivery of all the available choices IMO. Many people I know simply will not use it because of its deficiencies; no web access, no spam filtering, and once someone does decide to sell this address to the spam goons... well you'll see.

hrbuckley
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Actually it's non-existent. This is the poorest choice for email delivery of all the available choices IMO. Many people I know simply will not use it because of its deficiencies; no web access, no spam filtering, and once someone does decide to sell this address to the spam goons... well you'll see.

Won't argue, with that.

TXLady
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
ok I try to explain again:

Our email has been switched from regular outlook 2007 to be used with exchange 2007. When we were on just outlook 2007 i was able to configure my work email on my bb ( same way you wld with gmail / yahoo, etc ). This allowed me to have the device email free to use for personal stuff, since we are not allowed to have gmail / yahoo on the devices. BB email wasnt considered personal.

Now that we are switched to exchange 2007 I can not configure my work email on my bb anymore, BIS cant access OWA to configure. Instead the company as taken our work email and forwarded it to the device email. So now i have no device email as this is now my work email.

So i wanted to add another device email to the device so i wld still have a free email and if they ever checked the account they wouldnt see anything but work email and device email.

Sooo now it was posted to check the bis ports, as that may be a way of accessing the owa, but no such luck as i don't understand that part.

Okay. That's what I thought. You are no longer able to access your personal email on your work furnished blackberry. The simple solution is to get your own personal BB and use it for your personal email.
It sounds like your company has now blocked your personal email. If your company has blocked your personal email (however they did it), then you are not going to get your personal email on the work BB.

You were explicitly not allowed to put your gmail or yahoo email on the BB. What I think is that the company did not "allow" you to use the blackberry email address for your personal email previously but that you found out you could do this and were using it as a work around. Apparently, the company caught on to your work around and it's now blocked. They do not want you to use the company BB for your personal email or they would allow it.

Peppe
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
actually, company and ppl working here are not that smart when it come to bb......reason they have our company email forward to the bb email is they believe that it will consume less data then configuring the work email on the bb. No use complaining.....was just hoping to still have a bb email on the phone that isnt yahoo gmail etc etc.
Oh well not much i can do.....thanks for everyones help