PDA

View Full Version : Calling over uma is poor

nedlack
05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I am having some problems when making and receiving calls on my BB when i am connected to my home wireless network (it is Sky - router is the DG934G one).

The sound quality is very poor, it sounds like i am in a place with very low signal which i know i am not!

I have 2 questions:

1) does anyone know how to make the quality of call better?

2) what is the advantage of having a wifi connection (my gprs signal is very good)

Thanks

Ned

dc/dc
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Please check the WiFi section.

Trimix
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
If you regular cell signal is strong, there's no need to use wifi to make calls unless you have an unlimited calling plan for uma calls. Tmobile has this (in the US at least that I know of); dont know if your provider, Orange provides something similar.

skyman84
05-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Orange treat UMA and GSM calls the same, there is no benafit for using UMA over your normal base station especially if your signal is strong.

UMA works fine over my Sky router, so it's not going to be a router thing, the only thing I would say is see what kind of connection speed you have, and are there any other machines using the internet connection at the same time.

From memory, you can log into the Sky router and prioritise UMA calls above other traffic, but you'll have to check that out on a sky forum for the instructions.