PDA

View Full Version : BIS auto switch

BenGi
05-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Hi There,

Im fairly new to blackberrys and my nwe job involves helping people get their email up and running. (I have a lot of experience in windows servers exchange and the like and networking which helps :))

but just got a small question,

a customer u set up on bis, 2 handsets and 2 accounts. working fine. they had problems with the handsets themselves so had them swapped out. So we sent out new handsets and i assumed that would have to go and re-setup the accounts from scratch with new imei and pin but when logged on it already knows the new pin and asks if i want to switch.

just curious how it knew this by itself? would the network have done this?

Thanks

(P.S. couldnt find a bis specific forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place)

MidnightDraven
05-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Well, BIS is connected to the PIN and IMEI, but without a data plan, you can't use BIS.
The data plan is attached to the SIM card, so putting the SIM card into a new handset with different PIN's may have sorta "informed" the BIS account.

Either that or yes the network did it. *shrugs*

aiharkness
05-08-2009, 05:54 AM
I believe you put the SIM in the new blackberry first, right? And the SIM was already subscribed to a BIS plan? Thus the system noted the new PIN when the blackberry accessed the network, and prompted you, as you observed.