PDA

View Full Version : When Edge network is not available

rjharary
11-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey, Does anybody know what happens if I travel outside the Edge Coverage area? Does the phone switch to GRPS? This is the first time ever that the United States has a better Cellular technology than other places so...

map
11-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Yes, it will fall back to GPRS, and when there is no GPRS (other countries) it will fall back to GSM.

rjharary
11-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Yes, it will fall back to GPRS, and when there is no GPRS (other countries) it will fall back to GSM.

Great news thanks!

corey@12mile
11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey, Does anybody know what happens if I travel outside the Edge Coverage area? Does the phone switch to GRPS? This is the first time ever that the United States has a better Cellular technology than other places so...

ummmm because there is EDGE in the US, it is better technology than what... maybe africa? I have had EDGE in Canada for 2 years now... Europe, and a bunch of Asia are all 3G... I don't understand that...

EDGE is just an addon to GPRS... it's all but impossible to have EDGE without GPRS...

cd.

map
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Corey - not to pick a fight but there are many folks, myself included, who travel to not such nice places where they are just now rolling out GPRS. The question was a valid one since there are lots of places on this planet where the poster might encounter a GPRS network without the EDGE add-on. I agree, Canada and Europe are and have been way ahead of the US on mobile technology in general but the US, too, is ahead of lots of other countries.

Mr Pink57
11-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Corey - not to pick a fight but there are many folks, myself included, who travel to not such nice places where they are just now rolling out GPRS. The question was a valid one since there are lots of places on this planet where the poster might encounter a GPRS network without the EDGE add-on. I agree, Canada and Europe are and have been way ahead of the US on mobile technology in general but the US, too, is ahead of lots of other countries.

Cingular has just rolled out UMTS in 4 cities so far, so we here in the US are getting some where. And if you want to truely see technology at its finest you would want to look at NTT DoCoMo in Japan or pretty much all of China.

pink

stonent
11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Can someone clarify something for me...

Are EDGE and UMTS the same thing or not?

We had some ATTWS UMTS cards (Merlin brand) that we could never get working. Just constant No-Signal. Turns out they were UMTS only and would not fall back to any other technology if there wasn't UMTS available.

The cool thing was they used SIMs so you could take the SIM out of the card and make free phone calls (Well free because ATTWS gave us these cards to test for 6 months) We returned them with an unsatisfactory rating since they didn't work in Fort Worth (but once got them working in Dallas)

b00st3d
11-11-2005, 09:20 PM
edge is not the same thing as umts...both are 3g networks, however, umts should be about 3 or 4 times faster than edge..

rjharary
11-14-2005, 09:45 AM
edge is not the same thing as umts...both are 3g networks, however, umts should be about 3 or 4 times faster than edge..

When is UTMS expected to launch? Or has it?

b00st3d
11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
it has luanched in 3 or 4 major cities if im not mistaken(san fran, dallas, i cant remember the others)...most others will have it mid 06 if i remember correctly...

Mark Rejhon
11-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Are EDGE and UMTS the same thing or not?No. There's nearly universal EDGE coverage, while UMTS is a new technology that's not really yet on the market.

To the best of my knowedge, in Canada, almost every GSM celltower has both GPRS and EDGE now. So if you can get GSM, you can get either GPRS or EDGE. Rogers deployed EDGE more than two years ago and now it's pretty universal.

For GPRS, I have over 1000 kilometers of nonstop data reception along the northeast population corridor (the 401 corridor stretching from Niagara Falls to Toronto to Montreal to Quebec City and beyond). Haven't tested EDGE extensively enough yet.