PDA

View Full Version : Spot for 7100i by Skylab Mobilesystems

acm
11-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi -

New to BB and 3 weeks on the 7100i. Recently downloaded Telenav and signed up for my $9.95/month. Tried it a few times this week and it is pretty cool.

Anyone have any experience to compare with this program "Spot"?
Apparently with Spot by Skylab you pay for the program but there is no monthly fee. However I think that for the GPS functionality to have been enabled on my phone I HAD to subscribe to Nextel's offering; either TeleNav or another which I can't recall but TeleNav was the recommended one.

Thanks - ACM

DC Wuff
11-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Don't know if I'm exactly following you, and I've only used TeleNav on the i730 and i860; haven't used it yet on the 7100i. But I can tell you that if you have the unlimited data plan for your 7100i, you do NOT have to sign up for anything additional through Nextel if you want to use Spot.

I previously had the 10-use TeleNav plan for $10 (which includes 10 trips and a certain amount of data use). When I upgraded to the 7100i, I switched over to TeleNav unlimited for about the same price, because the data is already included in my BB plan. Basically, the whole $10 goes to TeleNav for their service.

Does that make sense?

acm
11-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks -

First, don't know if I want to even use Spot until I get a sense of the valuse/quality, issues, and comparison to TeleNav from those ideally who have used both. programs. From the SkyLab website, their program seems well thought out and perhaps it does more and can be used in e.g. hiking.

The next issue is SkyLab says beyond the initial product cost of $29 there is no monthly fee b/c it uses the GPS function of the 7100i. I would like to know if that is true.

My experience is that my 7100i could not acquire satellites and therefore Lat/Lon position until I signed up for the TeleNav service. I called Nextel prior to ask if there was something wrong with my phone but they said that the GPS functionality would not be active until I signed up for a service and that was normal.

If that is the case, then Nextel is blocking the independent use of the GPS functionality unless you sign up for their service. Which makes me question how the Spot software will function. In other words if I have to pay $10/month to activate GPS then why not just use TeleNav unless Spot is just that much better.

Hope that is a clear as mud!!

Thanks to all!

ACM

watermunky321
11-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I have a 7100i and I can get lat/long and sat lock sometimes without the telenav purchase. I just have the basic unlimited data plan, no other services.

MEGA_AL
12-24-2005, 11:13 PM
ACM-

I have the 7100i thru nextel. I have the blackberry web/email plan, and my gps function works, I didn't have to set up anything special to use it. Spot can pretty much do everything Telnav does (except for maybe voice command navigating) and the graphics are 100 times better. This is because it uses Goggle maps to overlay your GPS locations. Skylab's website has a trial version you can download to see if you like it, trust me you will. And for a one time only $29 fee how can you beat that! Just remember that the black antenna on your nextel phone has to be able to "see" the sky in order to work properly/accurately. So it most likely will not work indoors unless you are extremely close to a window.

funkym
05-19-2006, 04:49 AM
There is a new support which directly targets "Spot". I just found some interesting answers there. So if there is someone also looking for them, take a look to http://gpsphoneforums.com (http://gpsphoneforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)