PDA

View Full Version : How/where do I buy a 'locked' blackberry

leonbryant
05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm actually living in a country of Asia and here every cell phone is NOT locked to certain operator. Normally we just buy cellphones from store then put in whatever SIM card we like.

Now I want to buy a AT&T Bold9000 from the U.S. , then buy code to unlock it so I can use it in my country, because it looks like a AT&T-locked Bold9000 is much cheaper then an 'unlocked' version.

Now my question:- Can I buy a AT&T Bold9000 without needing to buy their SIM Card(or Contract Plan)? I see thoustands of websites out there stating they're selling AT&T Bold9000 at less then 200 USD, Is that(less than 200) all that I need to pay? No hidden fee, right ?

Besides buying it from websites, is there any store in the U.S. where I can buy the AT&T-locked phone directly when I'm travelling to the U.S. ? I mean, at the same cheap price(less than 200USD) ?

kirrinjones
05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Wirelessly posted

If you're buying it from the carrier then you're going to have a contract attached to it, that's why they sell it to you at a subsidised rate. As to whether or not it will work in Asia, I do not know. If you have a 2G/3G network over there then I guess it will work once you unlock it.

hrbuckley
05-09-2009, 10:23 PM
The current Rogers price for a Bold with no contract is $CAD599.99 if that helps.

leonbryant
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Wirelessly posted

If you're buying it from the carrier then you're going to have a contract attached to it, that's why they sell it to you at a subsidised rate.

But how about those who selling 'locked phones' on ebay ? they quote for like 190USD for a at&t locked Bold9000, so I guess if I buy phones from them then I don't need to buy the contract, right ?

TXLady
05-10-2009, 07:04 AM
But how about those who selling 'locked phones' on ebay ? they quote for like 190USD for a at&t locked Bold9000, so I guess if I buy phones from them then I don't need to buy the contract, right ?

You need to read the fine print very carefully. I can think of a couple of scenarios.

1) $190 is perhaps a starting point for the bidding. It will go up much higher than that before it closes.

2) Fine print shows that there is indeed a contract required. (There are actual retailers on ebay.)

3) May not be a new phone and may not be in good condition, i.e., "as is".

randall814
05-10-2009, 07:15 AM
you will not find a bold for that price without a contract attached to it. there are many retailers that while they are not att, do in fact include an att contract because they are authorized retailers.

aiharkness
05-10-2009, 07:53 AM
And if you are buying a used blackberry, see Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay) if you haven't already.