PDA

View Full Version : Not getting appropriate signal strength

neromanceres
05-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I have an odd issue.

I recently purchased two Blackberry 8800's for myself and my wife (our first Blackberry's). I bought them refurbished on e-bay. I set up the blackberry's with no issues. I noticed that my signal strength at home is about -90dBm. My wife is getting -70dBm. At work i'm getting -100dBm. My co-worker is getting about -70dBm on his Bold.

I saw on other threads that the issue may be software. So I auto-updated my OS. Still no luck. So I downloaded the java app that wipes your Blackberry and downloaded and installed the latest OS. It's slightly better but still not great. The phone still works fairly well. But at work and other areas where the signal strength is "so-so" the signal will occasionally cut in and out.

Is there anything more that I can do.

Dubdub
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I guess the real question is how is the Rogers signal in those areas using other devices, not just BBs?

SteveO86
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Does roger's have the option to call something like *228 were it will search for the nearest cell tower?

neromanceres
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I guess the real question is how is the Rogers signal in those areas using other devices, not just BBs?

My old phone (HTC Tornado) would get good reception in these locations.

neromanceres
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Does roger's have the option to call something like *228 were it will search for the nearest cell tower?

Not that I know of. I tried it anyway and it didn't do anything. I've used unlocked phones before from different networks and they have worked fine on the Rogers network.