PDA

View Full Version : Cingular 7290 and SSH

danielrm26
11-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to get a Cingular 7290 to work with any of the SSH clients. I've tried Idokorro's offering (http://www.idokorro.com/imssh.html), and also the other main one that's free. Neither of them have been successful.

I seem to get pretty far with the Idokorro offering; I get through connecting and even negotiating encryption (which didn't work until I fixed it on my server, so I'm inclined to believe I'm really connecting to my box), but when I get the the host key part I fail on verfication.

The error is "unable to verify server key (dsa)". I've tried changing my settings to RSA and such, to no avail.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this to work? It seems like I'm close since I seem to be connecting to my server. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Daniel

danielrm26
11-13-2005, 04:05 AM
<bump>

Anyone? I'm just trying to get SSH working with a Cingular 7290.

Thanks.

bailmon
11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I use the Cingular 7290 and the Idokorro SSH, Telent and mobile admin every week. I mainly use the SSH to get to my Cisco routers at my locations, works great. I also use the mobile admin to support 50 plus users without having to lug a laptop around, great product.

WhiteRonin
11-14-2005, 09:26 AM
The error is "unable to verify server key (dsa)". I've tried changing my settings to RSA and such, to no avail.

Hello Daniel,

We've seen this happen to some people with an early version of Mobile SSH 2.1

Can you tell me what version of Mobile SSH you have installed? You can check this by going to Options -> Applications from the main screen of your BlackBerry and looking at the version of TelnetSSH

If you do not have the latest version (2.2.21) then please start by upgrading to the latest version. You can download it directly to your BlackBerry from http://www.idokorro.com

If you are still having problems I encourage you to contact me directly at support@<hidden>

Mark Rejhon
11-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Idokorro will be happy to do their best to help you -- contact support@<hidden> and they will do their best to help. Idokorro is a sponsor of BlackBerryForums.

(Disclaimer: I work there.)

danielrm26
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I am using 2.2.21 of the client, guys. Thanks so much for the responses -- it's good just to hear someone's voice. I'm psyched to get this fixed.

PS!
11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm a big Linux/BSD/UNIX advocate and a believer in GPL. That being said, I believe using a free product should also have free clients... I use midpSSH on my 7290, Cingular with BIS and have no problems.

*Edit: not sure how it goes for BES, but since I use BIS I have midpSSH manually configured for direct TCP connections. Using SSH2 and 512 keys. My sshd is the recent openssh linux server running only ssh2 compatability, all the crypto/etc set as default.

sharding
11-14-2005, 10:49 PM
With BES, can you SSH to things inside the corporate network (the way you can get to internal websites, etc.)? I realize that even if this were a feature it could be prevented if the company wanted to; I'm just wondering if it's possible at all.

WhiteRonin
11-15-2005, 12:13 PM
With BES, can you SSH to things inside the corporate network (the way you can get to internal websites, etc.)?

Yes you can sharding. The SSH connection goes through the Mobile Data Service similar to how the BlackBerry Browser connects. This allows you to connect to your internal servers.

Also because you are connecting using the MDS the traffic is all encypted between your BlackBerry and the BES.

Inphektion
11-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I use the midpssh on my 7290 without a problem.

Mark Rejhon
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
With BES, can you SSH to things inside the corporate network (the way you can get to internal websites, etc.)? I realize that even if this were a feature it could be prevented if the company wanted to; I'm just wondering if it's possible at all.Yes, you can.

This is a very popular use of MobileSSH. The sysadmin can disable this capability through many methods, but if you can access internal websites, you can SSH to internal sites too.

Mark Rejhon
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I use the midpssh on my 7290 without a problem.I tried the various free clients, but I actually purchased MobileSSH for my needs because it was much more powerful (Before I got hired by Idokorro).

There are many who have purchased MobileSSH for many things such as multitasking (you can have many simultaneous telnet/SSH sessions open) and less lag during fast-and-furious typing, whether it is during immediate input or local input splitscreen mode, and more emulations such as TN3270 and TN5250 are available. After 2.0, Idokorro also has color and configurable fonts. (This actually used to be an advantage of midpssh before 2.0 got released) There are more features in MobileSSH, and also MobileSSH is also much more chat-friendly.

Nontheless, I support the free alternatives as I am a user of GPL software and have contributed code to GPL software (owning a Linux system myself too). However, I also believe in paying for high quality software too, especially since Idokorro aim to provide good technical support.

The best thing to do is try midpssh and the free trial of Idokorro MobileSSH. Compare the two for your own needs. This is what Idokorro suggests.