PDA

View Full Version : Trackball problem. Where can I get a replacement?

LaoMayer
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi all!

I'm having a small problem with the trackball. Sometimes it doesn't move to the right and I get a strange feeling from the ball. It's like is not touching anything under it. I get it fixed by moving it fast in every direction, but I don't know how much I can do that.

That being said, can you point me to a online shop where I can purchase a original trackball for my 8900 ?

jsconyers
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) (y)

Raptor464
05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Wirelessly posted

Ebay is pretty cheap as well. You could try cnn.cn as they have multiple colored trackball replacements.

evilcaptain
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Like the last post, I use cnn.cn but it takes about 2-3 weeks to get the item since it ships from HK and must pass through customs.

LaoMayer
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Wow! Really good prices on cnn.cn Ordered the trackball and a screwdriver. The shipment is also very cheap. Thanks!

Now I will see the quality.

Dubdub
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Just a thought here, but it might be dirt or lint and not a broken track ball. Do you carry the device in your pocket?

To fix (if that is the problem) turn the device off. Then press and roll the trackball, first in the direction that it doesn't work, then roll in all directions for about a minute. You can also blow some "canned air" all around it. Turn on and see if that fixes the problem. My guess is that it will.

hotburnttoast
05-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Why not get an exchange from your carrier, since the device carries a one year warranty? Just a thought

mrtolles
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi all!

I'm having a small problem with the trackball. Sometimes it doesn't move to the right and I get a strange feeling from the ball. It's like is not touching anything under it. I get it fixed by moving it fast in every direction, but I don't know how much I can do that.

That being said, can you point me to a online shop where I can purchase a original trackball for my 8900 ?

Just a thought here, but it might be dirt or lint and not a broken track ball. Do you carry the device in your pocket?

To fix (if that is the problem) turn the device off. Then press and roll the trackball, first in the direction that it doesn't work, then roll in all directions for about a minute. You can also blow some "canned air" all around it. Turn on and see if that fixes the problem. My guess is that it will.

I agree, Trackballs can get lint in them. Push down on it and move in the direction it is not working. Should fix it. But always try to keep your balls clean!

LaoMayer
05-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I got it with no warranty, from a friend, but it was brand new.

Trackball is working most of the time, I just want to make sure I have a replacement in case it won't work someday.

kd4yor
05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
have you tried compressed air yet?

LaoMayer
05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Not yet, because so far it's working. I ordered one from CNN.CN

cartiel
05-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I agree, Trackballs can get lint in them. Push down on it and move in the direction it is not working. Should fix it. But always try to keep your balls clean!

>The trackballs do get lint in them, but I have never been able to remove the lint/dirt from the trackball doing the press and roll, I advise against this cause that type of pressure would likely damage the trackball. You'd probably be better off taking the trackball out and wiping the dirt/lint from the tiny prongs. The problem is that the prongs are magnetic and if the prongs are dirty the magnets cannot roll across the palets and trigger the manuver to scroll. I've cleaned mine manually many times and it fairly simply: just remember the magnets go back in to the right and lay in that direction clockwise all the way around the trackballs holding piece. Don't forget to mind the thin metal wrap that holds the shell to the trackball in place: it has two openings I believe are on the left and right of the shell and fit down around two very small notches on the shell to hold it in place -this should help you to assemble the parts in its correct order (don't quote me you'll need to pay attention to how you dissassemble your trackball). Placing the cleaned trackball back in its fitting you will need to have the longer ends of the shell to the left and right NOT THE TOP AND BOTTOM! Or just buy a new one xD lmao

teech53
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
try this first.
Put a small drop of water on the trackball and then roll turn it over and it around on a paper towel so the trackball is depressed constantly. You will be amazed that the problem is fixed and so easily.
Works for me!

LaoMayer
05-30-2009, 05:39 AM
I got the trackball from Cnn.cn and replaced it myself. I found nothing under the old trackball. Somehow I was expecting that, I don't know why.

I got a blue trackball just for fun. Replacing it was easy, not more than 10 min., after watching a tutorial on Youtube. I also got a T6 screwdriver along with the trackball. It's very useful.

I kept the old trackball, it's still good. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Lao.

wolfgaze
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I got the trackball from Cnn.cn and replaced it myself. I found nothing under the old trackball. Somehow I was expecting that, I don't know why.

I got a blue trackball just for fun. Replacing it was easy, not more than 10 min., after watching a tutorial on Youtube. I also got a T6 screwdriver along with the trackball. It's very useful.

I kept the old trackball, it's still good. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Lao.

Good to hear.... Can we see a picture of your phone illuminated with the blue track ball? I ordered the yellow one along with the screwdriver....

Question, what tool did you use to pry off the bottom back cover and what did you use to remove the clips that hold the front in place?

LaoMayer
05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
The trackball it's not illuminated from beneath. That's why I ordered it blue, I thought it will light-up, but there's no light under it on 8900.

I used the same tool for both the bottom back cover and the clips: this tool. (http://cnn.cn/shop/blue-triangular-cell-phone-case-opening-tool-p-2399.html)