PDA

View Full Version : 8700c on EBAY right now! 23 bids at $1,025!

delmarco
11-12-2005, 03:02 PM
This is disgusting what morons will pay to covet the latest fad regardless of how ugly it is for cool factor. (n) (n) (n)

money would be better spent for charity and these morons can wait and pay $350 for it like decent consumers.

lol! I'm just ranting cus I got outbidded at $900.

darn!!!!! :-o

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Cingular-BlackBerry-8700-with-Retail-Box-BB_W0QQitemZ5829070748QQcategoryZ64355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/4b/27/ag_1.JPG

T-Roy
11-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Really, bidding ends in 2 days still, they ship it Monday overnight, you get it Tuesday and about 10 days later you could have saved 1,000 bucks.

Oh well, some people just don't care I guess.

ptzchris
11-12-2005, 03:52 PM
forget that being rdiculus thats just stupid.....lol....i would rather wait the 15 days or whatever to get it at 350 i my opinion

richard371
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Yea maybe to get it a year early then 1000 is ok but just a week or 2 is retarted.

ptzchris
11-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Yea maybe to get it a year early then 1000 is ok but just a week or 2 is retarted.

i agreed richard if it was to be realesed say next year around october then i would pay he 1000 maybe just maybe but 2 weeks yeah ok

Dawg
11-12-2005, 05:03 PM
aint no phone worth 1000.00 unless its giving free BJs. Or it reads my mind and dials the number i am thinking about Geez its just a stupid phone

NJBlackBerry
11-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Did you notice the number of bidders with very low feedback scores....

ptzchris
11-12-2005, 05:58 PM
i agree with you dawg but then again this world is full of people that pretty much just buy something b/c its a fad and if they can get it 3 hours before the release dte they will pay their arm and leg for it.....so thats jus thow things are....but yeah it better do more than just dial it better bring along with it hot looking girl for a g......lmao

Soapm
11-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Those bidders must not be Cingular customers so I hope it's unlocked.

@<hidden>, the phone does vibrate </wink>

Number13
11-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Stupid, moronic, idiotic or whatever your opinion, it really depends on how much money that is to you personally. You can justify not spending that much money if that makes you feel better. I don't care if you get it two weeks early or two months early or on the day it is released. You've got to pay to play either way. Or, sit on the sidelines and watch.

Boy Genius
11-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Why are you guys so bent out of shape with spending that much money on a phone? I don't understand it...Obviously the person who is buying has that money to SPARE, and even if they don't thats there choice...yes I know wait a couple weeks, but some people are not patient...myself included. Stop picking apart what other people do.

Dawg
11-12-2005, 06:53 PM
W/e Bg

nb_mitch
11-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Actually if this auction ends Monday and deliver would be Tuesday, than you will get it only 7 days before the general release. I am hoping my company discount will get it cheaper that the $299, I couldn't dream of paying more :)

Boy Genius
11-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Ok Dawg...Whatever you say my dude!

richard371
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
that would really suck if there is something wrong with it and you had to get it replaced or repaired.

jmejonesnovo
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
True, true on the repair thing.

Boy Genius
11-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah but thats why there is a warranty

richard371
11-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Ofcoarse there is a wnty but they paid 1000 more to have it a week early.

Boy Genius
11-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Correct...but there is very limited supply of these, think of all the HUGE corporations that are getting these devices, you would be lucky if big cingular stores got 5 on launch date...

dert
11-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Why are you guys so bent out of shape with spending that much money on a phone? I don't understand it...Obviously the person who is buying has that money to SPARE, and even if they don't thats there choice...yes I know wait a couple weeks, but some people are not patient...myself included. Stop picking apart what other people do

Could not have put it better myself.

Soapm
11-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Correct...but there is very limited supply of these, think of all the HUGE corporations that are getting these devices, you would be lucky if big cingular stores got 5 on launch date...

I doubt if a lot of big companies buy these until next year. This is 4th quarter which always mean time to cut spending. We still have many people with 7280 and older devices and unless it dies of natural causes you don't get a new one.

ceebz
11-12-2005, 11:59 PM
This is disgusting what morons will pay to covet the latest fad regardless of how ugly it is for cool factor. (n) (n) (n)

money would be better spent for charity and these morons can wait and pay $350 for it like decent consumers.

lol! I'm just ranting cus I got outbidded at $900.

darn!!!!! :-o

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Cingular-BlackBerry-8700-with-Retail-Box-BB_W0QQitemZ5829070748QQcategoryZ64355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/4b/27/ag_1.JPG

Why are you bidding when there's still 2+ days left?

Boy Genius
11-13-2005, 01:06 AM
I doubt if a lot of big companies buy these until next year. This is 4th quarter which always mean time to cut spending. We still have many people with 7280 and older devices and unless it dies of natural causes you don't get a new one.

Obviously your company is different, if your a TOP invesment broker at Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, etc you get whatever the hell you want. End of story again leave it alone I don't understand the big deal, its not YOUR money why do you care? The person buying it isn't going to put any funds in your pocket...If I told you how much money I spent on pre-production phones in the past year you would try to have me banned. So what.

dkmadrid
11-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Obviously your company is different, if your a TOP invesment broker at Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, etc you get whatever the hell you want. End of story again leave it alone I don't understand the big deal, its not YOUR money why do you care? The person buying it isn't going to put any funds in your pocket...If I told you how much money I spent on pre-production phones in the past year you would try to have me banned. So what.

Well said. I'd be very interested to truly know how many of those who say they wouldn't pay the $1000 would do so if they had the extra $$$ to spend. It's all a question of resources. You're going to spend it on something!

Boy Genius
11-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Exactly! Thank you!

Soapm
11-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Two companies does not make up, "ALL THE HUGE CORPORATIONS". Most corporations have investors to answer to.

Secondly, I can careless what anyone pays for an 8700, I can only speak for my wallet. TMO is my carrier and they have not made this device an option so I don't plan to get one yet. I do know I am froogle (not broke) and believe in finding value before I spend but again, that's me. I prefer you buy several for $1K so the seller can make me a great deal being he just made so much profit on you. I also don't mind buying your old ones off ebay for a good price.

Lastly, I am surprised to know someone who others trust to invest their money admittingly waste. We all know waste is the twin brother of want and what goes up must come down. Look at all the X NFL millionares.

singlemanriot
11-13-2005, 04:57 AM
So obviously this guy got one from a contact at RIM... sooo isnt it a tad risky to sell this on Ebay? One check of the serial or IMEI would tell RIM who the jackass selling an 8700 on ebay is.

Kudos to the seller, he has balls, and at least $1200 clams on the way for something he got for free.

slapt
11-13-2005, 12:32 PM
who ever is bidding/plans to bid should get better understanding on when it will ship. it is very possible that the person may ship it over night on the 21st after buying it. the language leaves room for that.

test
11-13-2005, 02:14 PM
question, in the auction it says about a buy it now...what did this guy have it listed as for buy it now?

delmarco
11-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Why are you bidding when there's still 2+ days left?

nah, i'm kidding...I'd never bid for broke on no Blackberry.
second my feedback is 100%...my handle is LORIMER77...
look me up..

debk3141
11-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I think the buy it now price was $1999 or there about

Soapm
11-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I guess these guys missed the $500 at Amazon no contract deal???

test
11-13-2005, 06:34 PM
I guess these guys missed the $500 at Amazon no contract deal???

you wont get it for 1-2 weeks with amazon...not till after its released, the big catch on ebay is that someone has it in hand and can ship right after the bidding is over.

rjharary
11-13-2005, 06:37 PM
nah, i'm kidding...I'd never bid for broke on no Blackberry.
second my feedback is 100%...my handle is LORIMER77...
look me up..
Thats because youre from brooklyn, and we have at least 4 cell phone stores every block

dkf747
11-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I wish I was the one selling it.

Dude
11-14-2005, 03:10 AM

Actually, every department that I have ever worked for, from state entity, to dot com, to one of them top investement firms, has always increased spending on not-so-necessary frills in Q4 in order to use up a left-over budget.

-Dude

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 03:44 AM
Thank you for backing me up dude! It's hilarious how people can comment on something they know nothing about just because they work at one single company. Cingular has received HUGE amounts of CORPORATE orders for the BlackBerry 8700c. Period.

Soapm
11-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Why not start a poll and ask whose campany will replace their existing device with a 8700 on release day? The results may be interesting. I am sure the high end execs will get the new toy but guys like me will have to wait.

@<hidden>, state or federal gov I understand since they are budget driven and are not trying to increase profits. Other companies CEO/board usually try and send the shareholders a little something just to keep confidence up. Now if a few individual departments have a little extra cash that's different than entire corporation.

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 06:34 AM
i am not talking about an average private company, I am talking about wall street brokers, and people like that. When the Motorola MPx "came out" Morgan Stanley placed an order for 5,000 pieces. Because they can. This topic is done. It's dead to me.

dtmfjunkie
11-14-2005, 09:12 AM
The auction is now at $1,630.00!!!

biffs
11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah. wow, just wow. thats insane

Dawg
11-14-2005, 09:51 AM
insane

test
11-14-2005, 10:00 AM
This topic is done. It's dead to me.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

I'm going to have to agree with all three of you, its different for each company...

I'm putting in my bid for 2k...riiight 6 more days and i can get one for 500+ no contract

Mark Rejhon
11-14-2005, 11:13 AM
When you are a guy that earns more than $300,000 per year, occasionally spending an extra $2,000 to get a favourite gadget one week early isn't something you think twice about doing.

Although I never earned that much money annually, I know my spending habits dramatically changed when my income doubled in one year during the latter part of the dotcom boom years. Whereas I was buying used stuff, I now didn't think twice about buying something new at non-sale MSRP prices for example. Believe me, your spending habits have a tendancy to change if your income go up dramatically.

codyman
11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I wonder if he really does have the thing to ship right now. So, you win the bid and then find there is a delay with paypal, a delay in getting it shipped and then you end up getting it shipped a week after it comes out in the stores because, maybe, he doesn't really have it and has to wait until he can get one from a store once they are generally available - wouldn't that suck big time!

dtmfjunkie
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
When you are a guy that earns more than $300,000 per year, occasionally spending an extra $2,000 to get a favourite gadget one week early isn't something you think twice about doing.

Although I never earned that much money annually, I know my spending habits dramatically changed when my income doubled in one year during the latter part of the dotcom boom years. Whereas I was buying used stuff, I now didn't think twice about buying something new at non-sale MSRP prices for example. Believe me, your spending habits have a tendancy to change if your income go up dramatically.

So to summarize what you're saying...spending habits is a function of salary vs. brain loss. The more money you make, the less your brain works.

I agree with you Mark, you do think less about spending when you make more, but come on...I can understand if it was last month, a prototype, etc....but a week before launch is just dumb. And someone who makes $300K annualy should know that.

test
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I wonder if he really does have the thing to ship right now. So, you win the bid and then find there is a delay with paypal, a delay in getting it shipped and then you end up getting it shipped a week after it comes out in the stores because, maybe, he doesn't really have it and has to wait until he can get one from a store once they are generally available - wouldn't that suck big time!

nah, i think he has it...i mean the guy had a buy it now option for it when the auction went up, with the terms shipping right away...

Tillia
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Whoever is buying this, I say "buyer beware" if this is a freebie given as a beta somewhere along the line, I would question if it would be covered under warranty at all. These units are for testing purposes to find all the bugs before release. It probably doesn't even have the latest code load from the factory either, so bugs will be an issue, I am sure.
To the seller, if the RIM Lawyers find out who the seller is, they can kiss a lot of their life goodbye. I would bet that selling a unit given before release means they have broken some kind of non-disclosure agreement with RIM or with Cingular. I wish them luck once they find out who you are.
Buyer beware. Seller, keep looking over your shoulder!
I will wait until it is released for sale officially. I don't slam those who have the money to do this now though, I just am not one of them!

sabby
11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Why are all you stuck on the idea that money is every thing?
Idiots!

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Whoever is buying this, I say "buyer beware" if this is a freebie given as a beta somewhere along the line, I would question if it would be covered under warranty at all. These units are for testing purposes to find all the bugs before release. It probably doesn't even have the latest code load from the factory either, so bugs will be an issue, I am sure.
To the seller, if the RIM Lawyers find out who the seller is, they can kiss a lot of their life goodbye. I would bet that selling a unit given before release means they have broken some kind of non-disclosure agreement with RIM or with Cingular. I wish them luck once they find out who you are.
Buyer beware. Seller, keep looking over your shoulder!
I will wait until it is released for sale officially. I don't slam those who have the money to do this now though, I just am not one of them!

It's amazing how LITTLE people know, first off all RETAIL boxes are not printed and manufactured until VERY close to the release month, maybe weeks before, the fact it is in a RETAIL box completely craps on your theory. Second of all do you know how many PRE-PRODUCTION units are sold before release months and months in advance? The product is ANNOUNCED with a release date a week from today, if the person got this as a gift from someone and is selling it what is the issue? I don't know where he got it from or how but who cares? RIM I am sure has seen this auction and could probably care less. If this was BEFORE the product was announced you could believe they would do everything in the world to shut down the auction and persue legal action. The fact that the auction has NOT been SHUTDOWN means that they can't do anything or don't want to. For god sakes the phone is in a RETAIL BOX! With the STICKER ON IT. NO ENGINEERING SAMPLES HAVE THAT KIND OF PACKAGING. The phone is retail meaning software on it, is software you and me will have.

mas90guru
11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Q: Hi, Is it possible to get the BlackBerry 8700 unlocked? Thanks

A: Yes, it comes already unlocked for use with any carrier!

I guess that s/b any carrier with GSM? And will all carriers activate a BB that they haven't sold/designed for their network?

test
11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
It's amazing how LITTLE people know, first off all RETAIL boxes are not printed and manufactured until VERY close to the release month, maybe weeks before, the fact it is in a RETAIL box completely craps on your theory. Second of all do you know how many PRE-PRODUCTION units are sold before release months and months in advance? The product is ANNOUNCED with a release date a week from today, if the person got this as a gift from someone and is selling it what is the issue? I don't know where he got it from or how but who cares? RIM I am sure has seen this auction and could probably care less. If this was BEFORE the product was announced you could believe they would do everything in the world to shut down the auction and persue legal action. The fact that the auction has NOT been SHUTDOWN means that they can't do anything or don't want to. For god sakes the phone is in a RETAIL BOX! With the STICKER ON IT. NO ENGINEERING SAMPLES HAVE THAT KIND OF PACKAGING. The phone is retail meaning software on it, is software you and me will have.

yes folks...i think we've found our seller...haha

dtmfjunkie
11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok, now it's F'n ridiculous!!! 18 hours to go and it is $2,550.00!!!

How many current owners of 8700's aren't slapping yourselves for not putting them up for sale earlier!?!??!?

AlbertoM
11-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Why are all you stuck on the idea that money is every thing?

No, it isn't, but it will buy just about everything. Food, to mention one category.

Idiots!

But everyone can't be as holier-than-thou as you!

AlbertoM
11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
MODS! can we lock this one down already?

dtmfjunkie
11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
MODS! can we lock this one down already?

Why? If you're not interested in this topic...Don't read this thread. Some people find it fascinating to discuss the ignorance of others.

Tillia
11-14-2005, 05:06 PM
FYI. I work for RIM in Manufacturing at a fairly high level. I know an awful lot more than I am allowed to say. What I can say is we do, in fact send completely packaged retail units out for testing to Carriers. Most like to see what they will get in the end.
Boy Genius, you are not. At least in this case. Is RIM legal interested in this eBay item. You bet they are. That is all I can say on the subject, except to warn once again, Buyer Beware and Seller Look out.

dtmfjunkie
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
FYI. I work for RIM in Manufacturing at a fairly high level. I know an awful lot more than I am allowed to say. What I can say is we do, in fact send completely packaged retail units out for testing to Carriers. Most like to see what they will get in the end.
Boy Genius, you are not. At least in this case. Is RIM legal interested in this eBay item. You bet they are. That is all I can say on the subject, except to warn once again, Buyer Beware and Seller Look out.

Ouch!

sabby
11-14-2005, 06:04 PM
concierge button?

KonTiki
11-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Tillia (http://www.blackberryforums.com/member.php?u=2469) vbmenu_register("postmenu_124956", true);
Knows Where the Search Button Is

http://www.blackberryforums.com/images/icons/icon1.gif

Ouch!

Ouch Dont even begin to describe this and I too felt this thread should have been closed but it is getting better by the minute.

SIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!!!!

Now would it not be interesting if we follow the thread a bit more and see that Buyer be careful and Seller beware, may turn into the buyer being RIM itself and the seeler sued from here to eternity. HMMMMMMM

richard371
11-14-2005, 07:55 PM
2850.00 this is exciting. We should place bets on what the final will be lol. Im guessing about 4k.

test
11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
2850.00 this is exciting. We should place bets on what the final will be lol. Im guessing about 4k.

haha true...skys the limit, but i doubt it will really get into the hands of an actual buyer...either this guy stops the auction, the buyer isn't serious and just doesnt pay up or like the other poster said RIM buys it..haha good luck to him and the buyer though

ceebz
11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Ouch!

Indeed.

ceebz
11-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Why? If you're not interested in this topic...Don't read this thread. Some people find it fascinating to discuss the ignorance of others.

I find it fascinating that people still don't understand how ebay works.

Why are these people bidding when there's still hours before the auction ends?

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
yes folks...i think we've found our seller...haha

Wrong, The devices I got were for me and my clients only. I would not put them up on Ebay because I have a good relationship with RIM and it not worth ruining over some money. Second, the reason I posted that is because for my clients I locate pre-released items and posted from my expierience. I have NEVER seen a retail box and packaging more than one month out from public release.

richard371
11-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Looks like the seller pulled the item.

test
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
that is funny...

figured it would get pulled...

KonTiki
11-14-2005, 09:16 PM
It was either a hoax, or the seller saw the post here about the seller bewaring, or someone made him an offer he could not refuse. Ya know what I mean.

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, maybe a hoax, I have never heard of an auction being pulled when the bidding is that high, I mean do you really think someone offered more than $2500 or whatever it was? And not to have protection against it...forget tht...

Soapm
11-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Maybe RIM knocked on his virtual door???

barjohn
11-14-2005, 11:30 PM
If I were a bidder that had his money at risk I would be very unhappy with the action since I would be bound if I won the bid even if I later changed my mind.

singlemanriot
11-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I am guessing RIM was the high bidder, I am also guessing someone sent a cease & desist, orrrrr RIM was the seller & Bidder to create more hype on the thing.

Pretty dumb to sell it online before it hit retail IMHO, Could have sold it next week for $300-500 and no one would have cared, $500 for a device you got for free is not bad.

jibi
11-15-2005, 12:35 AM
i would say that the person who was selling it was likely a store owner/clerk in a Cingular store - or perhaps one of those side job we-sell-everything cellular store. turning a 400% or more profit on a device that you could 'sell' in the store to yourself in a week is not too shabby. i doubt this is one of the persons who got the device at one of the conferences, as that was a small number of persons, if i'm not mistaken.

biffs
11-15-2005, 01:06 AM
It could have been anyone at this point.... who knows. I think it was a hoax if it ran up that high. there is no way that is legitimate

Blackberry1.8T
11-15-2005, 02:06 AM
I always have issues with buying top end devices on ebay. Especially when someone charges 1grand for something that isn't worthe more than may 7 or 8 hundred max. who knows. some people have that kind of money and no where to spend it. I think it's cool but not worthe that much. I could make a couple car payments at that price. Oh well, to each their own.

mas90guru
11-15-2005, 08:00 AM
This whole argument assumes that whoever overbid on the device would have ultimately paid. It's likely that the high bidder would have reneged. There was at least one out - with the item listed as unlocked and available for any carrier (in the Q&A section at the bottom).