PDA

View Full Version : dial up on 7100T

sanjeev80
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey
I have a 7100T and would like to know if it possible to connect to a dial-up network with blackberry. I am a dialup connection available at USC so i would like to know if i can connect to that network by dialling in. I am able to do that on Nokia 9110, I know i may be able to configure my blackberry as a wireless modem to dialup and use my laptop to browse, but can connect to the dialup and use my blackberry to browse the net.

Hopping
sanjeev

penguin3107
11-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey
I have a 7100T and would like to know if it possible to connect to a dial-up network with blackberry. I am a dialup connection available at USC so i would like to know if i can connect to that network by dialling in. I am able to do that on Nokia 9110, I know i may be able to configure my blackberry as a wireless modem to dialup and use my laptop to browse, but can connect to the dialup and use my blackberry to browse the net.

Hopping
sanjeev

You can't use your 7100t as a dial-up modem.
You can use it as a GPRS modem, but that's about it.

andrebsd
11-13-2005, 03:14 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019

But yeah, (as said above) you can only do GPRS...

What you could do, if your system supports it is wake on ring (if the system goes on standby; if not you just make the system wait for a call)... you would essentualy call the system with a normal voice call (using the phone physically) and hangup; the system could then dialup and make VNC (gui) & SSH (text), or whatever else you want available & dyndns could give you a "static" ip. Once thats up and running you would type in the ip address of the system and get in over GPRS. After use you would disconnect the remote system.

The issue here is that anyone calling the system would cause it to dialup... I haven't figured out how to do this (but I've heard its possible) is to have the system check the caller id; and only pickup and do this for your cellphone number. Then anyone can't make the system do that; and if you needed to get trough the line with voice you would just block your number so the computer doesn't respond.