PDA

View Full Version : Questions about WIFI

MasterMerlin
05-19-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around wifi and how it works. We have wireless here at work, which I set my Bold up and it was working perfectly. Starting last week it would not connect to the wireless network. I assumed it was just a "glitch" in the system and just turned the wifi off.

Today I read another threat about resending the service books to correct a wifi issue so I tried that. I still don't have wifi connection. When I look at the connection it appears connected as the wifi emblem is colored in, however there is a horizontal white line in the box as opposed to the check mark.

Here is where my confusion comes in. It was my understanding that if it was connected with the white horizontal line then everything was working except the connection to BlackBerry. If this is correct, then why will Beejive not work? I have my Beejive set as wifi preferred.

Would someone explain the wifi connections to me? I assume this is a simple concept and it really bugs me that I can't grasp it.

Thanks,

MidnightDraven
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
you are correct.
the only reason i can think beejive wont work is that it is set to use BIS-B, which would be true when fully connected (check mark) would go through wi-fi connected BIS.
Check the beejive settings.

MasterMerlin
05-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Well Midnight this is the second time you've came to my wifi rescue. In my beejive settings I have the Mobile Network Transport set to BIS with an option for TCP (I have no idea what this is). The wifi option is set for wifi preferred.

I've changed to TCP to see if this makes any differences.

Thanks again.

MidnightDraven
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
BIS through wi-fi would mean the wi-fi status would need a check mark next to it.
TCP means it goes through the TCP/IP settings (i.e. wi-fi APN settings) and should work now

MasterMerlin
05-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Nope. After making the change I tried sending a message through beejive and it was "grayed" out until I removed the check from wifi. I'm starting to think there is a problem possibly with our wireless network.

Thanks for your help again Midnight!!!

MidnightDraven
05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
hmm, can you go to options-advanced-tcp/ip and make sure there are some settings there?

MasterMerlin
05-19-2009, 09:32 AM
hmm, can you go to options-advanced-tcp/ip and make sure there are some settings there?

APN: wap.cingular (this is checked)
APN Authentication Enabled (checked)
Username for APN: WAP@<hidden>

Then it has a password for APN. I have no idea what this is as it is all asterisks.

MidnightDraven
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
This states it needs to be in caps...but unsure.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/190489-help-gadget-trak-blackberry.html

It would seem it should work but is having a problem.

This is the beejive support pages reagrding TCP settings
http://www.beejive.com/support/blackberry/1.1.1/index.htm?s=apn

and the troubleshooting page
http://www.beejive.com/support/blackberry/1.1.1/index.htm?s=troubleshooting

see if these help at all.

MasterMerlin
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I will try tonight at home (generally don't use beejive when I'm home) and see if it connects through my wifi there. I looked through the settings you sent me the links for and everything appears ok. The strange thing was it was working until about a week ago.

Thanks again for your assistance. Maybe one day I'll be able to return the favor, although I doubt I'll be at your level.

MidnightDraven
05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
no probs.
you said it was wi-fi through work?
it may be possible that they changed something so it would connect to the internet but not allow the BIS connection.

kirrinjones
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
MasterMerlin, you might want to check if you have a conflict with another computer on the network. For some reason when my device is manually configured with an IP address it does not show up in the DHCP server (that's for another time) so it gets issued to another device and then I cannot connect unless I change the IP address or the computer is off.

I'm guessing the same will apply for DHCP issued IPs as for whatever the reason, my colleagues iPhone does not show up in the DHCP server lease even though it got the IP address that way.

So check for conflicts.